Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs that me turn OFF the radio pronto.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Bartel wrote: »
    I think that if you work somewhere where you don't have control over what is played it can really make you hate certain songs - even if you liked them at first. I remember working in an office a few years ago and wanting to throw the radio out the window if 'Crazy in Love' by Beyonce was played for the bazillionth time.

Other songs that I've grown to hate due to over exposure: 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police, 'Moondance' by Van Morrison, 'Baby One More Time' by Britney Spears.

Ah GTFO even people who aren't Britney fans have to admit that that's one of the best songs of all time (and in my opinion- the best)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Geo10 wrote: »
    Ah GTFO even people who aren't Britney fans have to admit that that's one of the best songs of all time
    ... no, no we do not

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

... no, no we do not

It got to number one in every country and it's one of the best selling songs of all time. If that doesn't put it up there with the best songs then I don't know what will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ah GTFO even people who aren't Britney fans have to admit that that's one of the best songs of all time (and in my opinion- the best)
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha, brilliant :D
    It got to number one in every country and it's one of the best selling songs of all time. If that doesn't put it up there with the best songs then I don't know what will
    Every country? Wow, how many weeks did it spend in the charts in Djibouti? Just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ed Sheeran. Anything that sounds like it might be Ed Sheeran.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 daddymac90

the script or adele the hippo

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha, brilliant :D

Every country? Wow, how many weeks did it spend in the charts in Djibouti? Just out of curiosity.

I thought it was implied I was only talking about the countries that actually have charts and where the song was released. Look it up if you don't believe me :D

I thought it was implied I was only talking about the countries that actually have charts and where the song was released. Look it up if you don't believe me :D
    But does it really matter whether a song has chart success or not?

But does it really matter whether a song has chart success or not?

I was just pointing out that BOMT didn't just have chart success- it's one of the best selling songs of all time, it has broken world records etc. I would never say "you should love this song" but I can't see how someone could deny that it is one of the best songs of all time. It makes practically ever all time chart and has even topped some of them before (IMO it should top them all but that's a different issue! :P ) It really is the perfect pop song. Maybe if you can't stand the pop genre I could see how someone might not like this song... however I have met so many people who claim not to listen to pop but 'secretly' love this song :P

I was just pointing out that BOMT didn't just have chart success- it's one of the best selling songs of all time, it has broken world records etc. I would never say "you should love this song" but I can't see how someone could deny that it is one of the best songs of all time. It makes practically ever all time chart and has even topped some of them before (IMO it should top them all but that's a different issue! :P ) It really is the perfect pop song. Maybe if you can't stand the pop genre I could see how someone might not like this song... however I have met so many people who claim not to listen to pop but 'secretly' love this song :P
    The reason why it sold so many copies and "broke" world records (do you have a source for this by the way?) is because of the marketing prowess of her record company and because of her looks, not because of her musical creativity or abilities. Not all pop music is bad I can agree, but if you compare Britney Spears with, say, Saint Etienne or The Cure at their most pop you will see that she is (was perhaps?) nothing more than a puppet for her record company.

By the way if you are looking for perfect pop I'd recommend you to listen to 'Just Like Heaven' by The Cure.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 daddymac90

McChubbin wrote: »
    Kings of Leon (?)- Sex on Fire.

Makes me feel shocking levels of rage.

thought it was just me

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's one of the most commercially successful songs ever I'm sure, but I wouldn't have it as one of the best. There's literally hundreds (probably thousands) of songs I would rather listen to instead.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The reason why it sold so many copies and "broke" world records (do you have a source for this by the way?) is because of the marketing prowess of her record company and because of her looks, not because of her musical creativity or abilities. Not all pop music is bad I can agree, but if you compare Britney Spears with, say, Saint Etienne or The Cure at their most pop you will see that she is (was perhaps?) nothing more than a puppet for her record company.

By the way if you are looking for perfect pop I'd recommend you to listen to 'Just Like Heaven' by The Cure.

I'm not referencing anything in particular- this knowledge is just coming from my 14 years as an avid Britney fan ever since she came out with that song when I was 4 :P Just google the song or look at the "Legacy" section of "Baby One More Time" in Wikipedia or something if you want to confirm this! :) I wouldn't lie about this. There are many songs I believe which should have broken world records but didn't unfortunately :/
    Also I'm not sure who Saint Etienne or The Cure are but according to some googling neither are pop :P Etienne are dance/ house/ alternative rock and Cure are gothic rock/ alternative rock/ post punk
    I'll try to stop Britney obsessing now but it's just really hard for me to understand people who don't like her! Ye must have someone ye really love too to the point where you literally think people who say they don't like them are lying... I just can't comprehend it! :P

I'm not referencing anything in particular- this knowledge is just coming from my 14 years as an avid Britney fan ever since she came out with that song when I was 4 :P Just google the song or look at the "Legacy" section of "Baby One More Time" in Wikipedia or something if you want to confirm this! :) I wouldn't lie about this. There are many songs I believe which should have broken world records but didn't unfortunately :/
    Also I'm not sure who Saint Etienne or The Cure are but according to some googling neither are pop :P Etienne are dance/ house/ alternative rock and Cure are gothic rock/ alternative rock/ post punk
    I'll try to stop Britney obsessing now but it's just really hard for me to understand people who don't like her! Ye must have someone ye really love too to the point where you literally think people who say they don't like them are lying... I just can't comprehend it! :P
    I'm starting to realise that debating with a Britney obsessive is like debating with a born-again Christian over the existence of God :)

Yes The Cure and Saint Etienne do fit those descriptions you've found on Google, but I still consider these songs to be pop songs, 'pop' as in catchy, hook-driven music:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The Cure have some good pop tunes I agree, lets not forget;

Other examples of good pop songs imo;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Anything by Jonah and the Whale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

fenris wrote: »
    Anything by Jonah and the Whale

Do they sound like Noah and the Whale?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

That the one, see the brain melting effect has already kicked in and now I have to start forgetting all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MusicJunkie86

Always turn off anything by One Direction or Chris Brown.
    Hate don't stop believing - journey
    "Come On Eileen" -Dexys Midnight Runners and 98% of Christmas songs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ed Sheeran in general. Sounds depressed every time he sings and bores the day light out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Baby One More Time isn't even Britney's best song, nevermind being the best song of all time.

Rihanna would usually have me changing stations too.

Baby One More Time isn't even Britney's best song, nevermind being the best song of all time.

Rihanna would usually have me changing stations too.

IMO it is and and according to most fans it is. Why does it top every single Britney Spears Top 20 then? It tops those that are measured in terms of sales and those that are measured in terms of a poll/ votes. She has some pretty close runner ups though- I'd say Womanizer, Gimme More and Hold It Against Me combined in 2nd! :D Though according to the last Britney Top 20 I saw on TV "Hold It Against Me" was #2 after BOMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

IMO it is and and according to most fans it is. Why does it top every single Britney Spears Top 20 then? It tops those that are measured in terms of sales and those that are measured in terms of a poll/ votes. She has some pretty close runner ups though- I'd say Womanizer, Gimme More and Hold It Against Me combined in 2nd! :D Though according to the last Britney Top 20 I saw on TV "Hold It Against Me" was #2 after BOMT

Toxic is her best song.

Toxic is her best song.

According to you! :P IMO it'd be 4th after Oops at 3 and Womanizer/ Gimme/ Hold at 2. Her 5th best is probably a tie between Radar/ Slave 4 U/ I Wanna Go/ Everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

'My Hips Don't Lie' by Shakira :mad:

Reminds me of people with kids called Shakira

And their hips don't lie!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

gammygils wrote: »
    'My Hips Don't Lie' by Shakira :mad:

Reminds me of people with kids called Shakira

And their hips don't lie!!:rolleyes:

My cousin is called Shakira. She's 15 though. Hardly anything to do with the Shakira around today :pac:.

Britney isn't great. Pure manufactured songs. She was all right singing, but she's never impressed me live. She's past it now. Should just give up tbh.

Because she doesn't impress you? That's an unfair comment. She's still the biggest popstar in the world right now and has a massive fan base. I'd die if she stopped making music but thankfully her legendary status means that won't happen :D She's had some of her most successful hits in the past few years, why on earth would she give up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Because she doesn't impress you? That's an unfair comment. She's still the biggest popstar in the world right now and has a massive fan base. I'd die if she stopped making music but thankfully her legendary status means that won't happen :D She's had some of her most successful hits in the past few years, why on earth would she give up?

She WAS the biggest popstar, yes she still has a massive fanbase.

She will continue to keep making music as she is a massive cash cow for her record label.

The reason she sold so many records is that her music is marketed to you in every means possible.
    Because she was used to make catchy tunes that people would like, she became globally successful.
    You can't understand why a song like "hit me baby" isn't universally loved by everyone because you love it, like the labels intended.
    But understand, the music that sells best, is in no way necessarily the music that has merit to be named among the best of all time.

Your obsession with Britney, as you said you have been obsessed since the age of 4, is no different to children who became obsessed with McDonalds, Coca Cola, Apple or Abercrombie & Fitch. Not because they were the best food, drinks, electronics or clothing brands, but because of outrageous amounts of marketing.

Eathrin wrote: »
    She WAS the biggest popstar, yes she still has a massive fanbase.

She will continue to keep making music as she is a massive cash cow for her record label.

The reason she sold so many records is that her music is marketed to you in every means possible.
    Because she was used to make catchy tunes that people would like, she became globally successful.
    You can't understand why a song like "hit me baby" isn't universally loved by everyone because you love it, like the labels intended.
    But understand, the music that sells best, is in no way necessarily the music that has merit to be named among the best of all time.

Your obsession with Britney, as you said you have been obsessed since the age of 4, is no different to children who became obsessed with McDonalds, Coca Cola, Apple or Abercrombie & Fitch. Not because they were the best food, drinks, electronics or clothing brands, but because of outrageous amounts of marketing.

She still is the biggest popstar :P Also plenty of singers are given very catchy songs and don't make it big, they don't have the pure talent and appeal that Britney has! For example Christina Aguilera hired Britney's biggest songwriter Max Martin (who wrote many of her biggest hits- Baby one More Time, Oops, If U Seek Amy, Hold It Against Me, I Wanna Go etc.) in a last ditch attempt to become relevant and commercially successful again like she used to be before many people lost interest in her. He gave her a song he'd originally written with Britney in mind, "Your Body", and despite its catchiness and how massive it would have been if Britney was given it- it was a relative commercial flop with Christina.
    Also songs like "Everytime" testify to Britney's wonderful songwriting talent too which she doesn't use too often because she's busy almost 24/7. Still there's always a few self-penned tracks on her albums.
    I don't think marketing is behind Britney's success either. I mean Christina Aguilera got the same amount of marketing and where is she now? (I know I keep using Christina as an example but it's just because they came out around the same time and she's kind of like a less talented, less successful version of Britney with a deeper, less appealing voice :P)
    I think the best example of the lack of marketing needed by Brit is "Blackout"- possibly the least marketed album in pop music history. It got zero promotion, no tour to support the album and it was released when most people who claimed to be so-called "fans" had turned their backs on Britney. yet the album was a massive success, as were the singles. "Gimme More" and "Piece Of Me" (and the album "Blackout" itself) all topped the charts in Ireland for example. Britney has a raw talent which I can't see how people can deny. I'll never claim she has the best voice "technically" but I'd haaaate it if she was one of those high note/ belters- I love her voice just the way it is- in fact that's the thing I love most about her... her voice.
    Anyway I'll stop talking about Britney now :P Each to their own right? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't get the radio turned over quick enough when I hear the words "shine bright like a diamond" in that annoying way of hers.

Advertisement