Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs that me turn OFF the radio pronto.

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Anything by Maroon 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My cousin is called Shakira. She's 15 though. Hardly anything to do with the Shakira around today :pac:.

Britney isn't great. Pure manufactured songs. She was all right singing, but she's never impressed me live. She's past it now. Should just give up tbh.

Does she ever even sing live? I mean, her singles are almost completely auto-tuned these days. I think she's past it too. She's had a couple of catchy songs in the past, but she's most definitely a product and in no way a real artist. I think this discussion has been had before, but it's the songwriters and producers who are brought in to work on Britney's albums who are the real talents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭puddles and umbrellas

Any song by One direction, Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, the script - all their songs are overplayed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Does she ever even sing live? I mean, her singles are almost completely auto-tuned these days. I think she's past it too. She's had a couple of catchy songs in the past, but she's most definitely a product and in no way a real artist. I think this discussion has been had before, but it's the songwriters and producers who are brought in to work on Britney's albums who are the real talents.

Completely auto tuned? Don't you think that's an exaggeration? Listen to some of her recent songs- her last song that was auto tuned in any big way was 3 and yes she sang that live on her Femme Fatale tour without autotune. She doesn't need autotune you'll see if you look up the live version- it's just an effect she uses for creative purposes in some songs like many singers do.
    Britney produced "Blackout", she wrote songs like "Everytime" and "Someday I Will Understand"; and co-wrote others like "Scary", "Ooh Ooh Baby", "Me Against The Music", "Touch of My Hand", "I've Just Begun Having My Fun" etc. Plus dont discredit her co-writing credits because, yes, I know singers like Rihanna are given these for changing around like 2 words but Britney is different. Many different songwriters have constantly called Britney a class act because unlike other pop artists, she won't take songwriting credit in songs she didn't write! One songwriter Heather Bright also talked about this and said this is the reason why Britney gets the best songs- she doesn't take any credit where she didn't actually contribute to the writing of the song in any major way. She gives credit to the other songwriters on her album. Also Britney is extremely talented. She doesn't need to write all of her songs to prove that because of her amazing voice, amaaazing performing and dancing. Anyone who's worked with Brit has always commented on how amazed they were at how absolutely involved she for with anything she was given and how much of a perfectionist she is in the studio. Will.i.am, for example, was amazed at how into the music she was and said she was more excited about it and involved in changing/ perfecting it than any other singers he has worked with.
    Also I think is undeniable to say that Britney is the biggest ICON of the 21st century. Nobody has influenced music, music videos and concerts so much. Singers like Lana Del Rey, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Cheryl Cole- in fact all of Girls Aloud, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry etc. etc. have all cited her as their biggest influence. She even received the "Micheal Jackson Video Vanguard Award", the "Ultimate Choice" lifetime award, the "New Now Next Forever" lifetime award etc. for her massive achievements in really what is only the first part of what will be a very long career for her.
    Like her or not, the Queen of Pop is here to stay and as long as her massive fan base continues to grow at the rapid rate us has been growing ever since she made her comeback in 2007 she'll continue to slay the charts, sell out massive worldwide tours, pick up awards left right and centre, and create more and more iconic music videos and stage performances :D

Actually here I found that article written by Heather Bright in case anyone didn't believe me :P
    I would just like to address one thing! The media is talking trash about how Britney didn’t write any of the songs on her album… HELLO! Wake up everybody! NONE OF THESE ARTISTS WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS!!!!!! Anyway… here’s my thing… and I feel VERY passionate about this issue. Britney could have come to me, like all these other A-list artists, and said…

“Hey, you wanna be on my album? I’m gonna need writing credit for that song AND part of your publishing even though I didn’t write anything! And then I’m gonna go on tour and gross $150 million in ticket sales and not give you any of that, even though I’m performing your song!”

I could rattle off a laundry list of artists who I’ve had that conversation with! And I’m on the other end like… “Oh okay… so you wanna rape me, but just with the tip?!” *Prince side eye* Britney’s the only artist I’ve worked with who didn’t try to take something that wasn’t hers. In my experience, from a business standpoint, her entire team is nothing less than a bonafide class act! If I ever have another song that she wants and another artist happens to want the same song… Britney will get it EVERYTIME! Why? Because she’s honest! And she treats her writers and producers with respect and dignity. An artist is nothing without a hit song… and a hit song is nothing without the right artist. It looks like the question I posed earlier just found its answer… maybe this is why 12 years later she’s STILL at the top!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Britney, Rihanna, GaGa.... Same thing. Nobodys picking on Britney alone. Most of these pop artists' music is not very good, though it sells well.

You'll find quite a lot of artists do on fact write and produce their own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Anything by the Script, especially that "HowmanythingscanIrhyme with Separation" song.

On topic anyway apart from the obvious ones that have been already said like Nikki Minaj, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber... I would actually switch radio/ TV channel if Adele came on. That probably isn't a popular opinion and it's not that I can't stand her/ don't like her like some other artists... I just feel that she is completely overrated. She's not THAT talented vocally and her songs are by no means great. Yeah I'd have listened to "Someone Like You" or "Rolling in the Deep" when she first gained popularity but at this point I'm completely tired of and bored with her voice. She's only a bit above average in terms of overall talent IMO and I think she's had her day and should gracefully slip away.
    Again just to reiterate I do not hate her, I just find her music incredibly repetitive, boring and I don't think her voice is all that great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Geo10 wrote: »
    On topic anyway apart from the obvious ones that have been already said like Nikki Minaj, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber... I would actually switch radio/ TV channel if Adele came on. That probably isn't a popular opinion and it's not that I can't stand her/ don't like her like some other artists... I just feel that she is completely overrated. She's not THAT talented vocally and her songs are by no means great. Yeah I'd have listened to "Someone Like You" or "Rolling in the Deep" when she first gained popularity but at this point I'm completely tired of and bored with her voice. She's only a bit above average in terms of overall talent IMO and I think she's had her day and should gracefully slip away.
    Again just to reiterate I do not hate her, I just find her music incredibly repetitive, boring and I don't think her voice is all that great

A statement that could just as easily be applied to your ICON.

A statement that could just as easily be applied to your ICON.

No Britney is AN icon, she has already achieved numerous lifetime achievement awards, completely changed pop music, sold over 105 million albums, had most of her songs top the charts in numerous countries and has an extraordinary fan base.
    Adele has had a few sad break-up songs that did well in the UK and US.
    Which one is more likely to just slip away? :P
    Let's look at how their last few singles did in the US:
    Adele: 1, 16, 63, 8
    Britney: 1, 3, 7, 1, 6
    Also Adele has had 4 singles not even make their Hot 100 :pac:

Also Britney is currently number one in 58 countries iTunes charts. Your argument is invalid :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Geo10 wrote: »
    No Britney is AN icon, she has already achieved numerous lifetime achievement awards, completely changed pop music, sold over 105 million albums, had most of her songs top the charts in numerous countries and has an extraordinary fan base.
    Adele has had a few sad break-up songs that did well in the UK and US.
    Which one is more likely to just slip away? :P
    Let's look at how their last few singles did in the US:
    Adele: 1, 16, 63, 8
    Britney: 1, 3, 7, 1, 6
    Also Adele has had 4 singles not even make their Hot 100 :pac:

Also Britney is currently number one in 58 countries iTunes charts. Your argument is invalid :P

Where an artist is in the charts can be linked in no way whatsoever to their talent.

Drake has had two number 1 albums. Does that make him one of the best rappers around? No it just means that he has a brilliant promotional team behind him and that the youth of today have no idea what good music is.

Freddie Gibbs, one of many artists that I could use as an example, is better at every single aspect of rap than Drake. The difference? Gibbs isn't as marketable as Drake. Simples.

I don't care if Britney is number one in all of the countries in the world, and on the moon, it means sweet eff all. She is probably slightly above average when it comes to singing. There are better out there.

Also, I don't rate Adele either. She needs to branch out and sing about other things. Same with Ed Sheeran. One can only take so much talk of depression and break-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't care if Britney is number one in all of the countries in the world, and on the moon, it means sweet eff all. She is probably slightly above average when it comes to singing. There are better out there.

Also, I don't rate Adele either. She needs to branch out and sing about other things. Same with Ed Sheeran. One can only take so much talk of depression and break-ups.

I'm not a fan of Adele's music at all, but she's definitely better than an average singer. At least she sings live and without the aid of theatrics (although the samey-ness of her performances makes her a bit dull to me). She's got a good voice, but the songwriting leaves a lot to be desired. Her lyrics are cringeworthy at times. I honestly don't understand people who think it's so deep and meaningful.

Britney, on the other hand, is a very average singer. And sales are not a reflection of of quality.

Maybe sales aren't a reflection of quality in general terms, but when it comes to Britney they certainly are :D
    Instead of me explaining why Britney is the best I'll let my favourite band of all time explain :P :D

I smile so much my jaw hurts everytime I watch that video :P They're all mega Britney fans and Mollie is so obsessed which makes me love her so much more! Mollie has posters of Britney not only in her bedroom but in her bathroom too because they wouldn't all fit in her bedroom :P Anyway in that video they explain basically why Britney is in fact the greatest popstar of all time.

My other favourite band of all time is Girls Aloud and they are all obsessed with Britney as well- but the biggest mega fan in that band is Cheryl

(BTW I was a mega fan of both GA and the Saturdays before I knew they were fellow Britney obsessives :D I guess I was subconsciously drawn to the Britneyesque quality of their songs, voices and videos :p )

Advertisement