Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy in the garden?

• 23-12-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hello, a new question!
    When do you think a dog would be "ok" to stay in the garden for few hours during the day?
    Actually Jago is 3 months old, half setter half I don't know what..
    When I am at work he is in the kitchen with the door to the garden open so he can choose where to stay.
    I think he goes outside sometimes.
    When I am at home he prefers to stay indoor with me and goes out for toilet and sometimes to play but for a short while.

He is alone 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the afternoon during the week.

I never locked him outside because I don't want him to have a bad idea of the garden.

I don't know when he will be ready to be during the day outside? I think it's too cold?
    He has a wood doggy house outside..

I am from italy and my previous dog was a (mixed) samoied, so I never had this problem :D he didn't want to stay inside :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They tend to sleep during the day so I would say you'd be as well off leaving him in. I don't leave my two outside unless someone is in the house because I worry that they might bark and disturb neighbours, there is more outside that could potentially be a danger to them, I worry about them being stolen (even from an enclosed garden) and I'd worry about them bring warm and comfortable.

Yes I know I probably worry too much! But keeping them in during the day works fine for us. I know that leaving them outside during the day works for other people but I'd wait until the start of the summer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

When my German Shepherd x Retriever was around that age, we would leave him in the garden if no one was home for a few hours. Unless it was really wet. We just thought it would be better because he wasn't toilet trainer properly yet when he was that young. He'd just lay down by the door and snooze until someone came home. He wouldn't have been alone for over 4 hours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

he is not toilet trained very good, we are working on that :) but ok that's not the problem..
    here there is a big wall so I don't think there is chance that he woudl be stolen
    barking would be a problem... this two weeks I always left the pc recording him and he is fantastic never barking :)

so the temperature should not be a problem for him? is it not too cold?
    I would like to have him in the garden when he is adult anyway.. thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

I'd be concerned about him being stolen too, doesn;t matter how high your wall is or what precautions you take, if the wrong people want him they're goin take him. Be sure to have him microchipped.

Can you leave him in the house but confine him to one room? Kitchen/hallway/utility???

yes no problem to leave him in the house.
    I thought it could be better for him to be in the garden.
    Why are you so afraid of dogs being stolen?
    He is a normal dog, no pedigree, nothing special, my love dog though :P
    It's not possible to see the garden from the road..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's a dog. Of course it's ok for him to be in the garden. Just make sure you have a warm kennel for him to sleep in with plenty of access to food and drink.

It's a dog. Of course it's ok for him to be in the garden. Just make sure you have a warm kennel for him to sleep in with plenty of access to food and drink.

I rented a house with the garden for the dog :D
    If it was for me I could live in a normal apartment with him and bring for walks.
    I thought it was better for a dog to have a garden.

My only concern is that he is young, 3 months, and that is winter

thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kuldeep121

That is completely ok for him to stay in garden..if winter is your concern then you can make him wear some sweater or hoodies,those are easily available in market ;)

A good kennel with plenty of blankets is sufficient protection for any dog with a full coat. If the temp goes below 0, dogs would still be fine in a good kennel (those things are superbly insulated and retain a lot of heat) but you would be easily forgiven for bringing him in.

There are some lovely people on this forum but its heavily weighted in favour of "dogs are part of the family and belong in the house" and often people who think otherwise get dismissed and often just abused. Which is ridiculous.

:)
    thanks

Really, I have no problem to leave him inside or outside.
    Just want to do what is better for him. And my idea was that for a dog is nice to have a garden.
    When I am at home he likes to stay with me and he goes outside only sometimes to pee and play.

It's nice that dogs belongs to the house, but why then we should have a garden?

really, I don't want polemic, I am just trying to understand :)

I remember my previous dog changed completely when we moved to a house with a garden... With him was even difficult to have him sleeping inside, he didn't want at all!

• Advertisement

Some dogs just prefer to have their own space.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Seems fine, just make sure he has plenty of water! Food isn't a major issue if you're feeding him in the morning and in the evening, but make sure he's got enough drinking water out there

Generally a good rule of thumb for a dog's water intake is 50ml per kg (dog's weight) per day!

Ok I will see in the next few days if he will like to be outside.
    I am coming back in my lunch break to give him some food / spend some time with him... and next week to bring him out for a walk as well!
    Finally he had all the vaccination!

Advertisement