Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANNED Songs: Reasons why

Options
  • 23-12-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Headlights: Driver 67.

http://youtu.be/S8o869DHFQg

This song intrigued me, and I liked the tight harmony vocals near the end, a bit cheesy tho.

At the time the psychopathic killer Ted Bundy was still on the loose in the states, making the lyrics sound particularly gruesome. :eek::eek::eek:

I reckon if it hadn't have been for Bundy, that this record would not have been banned.

"As his methodology evolved Bundy became progressively more organized in his choice of victims and crime scenes. He would employ various ruses designed to lure his victim to the vicinity of his vehicle where he had pre-positioned a weapon, usually a crowbar. In many cases he wore a plaster cast on one leg or a sling on one arm, and sometimes hobbled on crutches, then requested assistance in carrying something to his vehicle."

Anymore BANNED songs with a story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember when the theme to the highly popular TV show Mash was banned in Ireland when it was released as a single (with lyrics) in the 80's.

"Suicide is Painless" was unacceptable to the religious overlords of the time.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

@In The Trees...nice one, didn't know that, but doesn't surprise me.

Just found out that Lulu's "Boom Bang A Bang" was banned 21 years after it was released due to the commencement of the Gulf War. The ban was later lifted, shame about that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cortez the Killer - Neil Young.

Apparently alot of people took exception to this great explorer's methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Germany have removed a verse of their national anthem because it was used as a Nazi slogan. Pete Doherty once got into hot water for singing it over there. It's sad really, Germany have to acknowledge what happened and get over it, the world forgives them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The Sex Pistols single God Save The Queen was "banned" by the BBC but nobody else, which meant a huge increase in sales:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

give ireland back to the irish, Paul McCartney

stupid simplistic glib song released by macca during the worst year of the troubles back in 1972, didn't help matters in any way..should have stuck to the love songs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fryup wrote: »
    give ireland back to the irish, Paul McCartney

stupid simplistic glib song released by macca during the worst year of the troubles back in 1972, didn't help matters in any way..should have stuck to the love songs
    +1
    Typical McCartney nonsense.

the boundaries were already pushed to breaking well before MTV...

catchy too....I hope none of ye start singing this unawares at home.

http://youtu.be/C79spWeuakU

1969 Max Romeo: Wet Dream BANNED.

lordgoat wrote: »
    +1

What particular brand of pot was he smoking at the time I wonder? Bad sh1t man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Banned, for obvious reasons :P

Relax - frankie goes to Hollywood

references to gay sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

banned for telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hawkwinds Urban Guerilla single the follow up to their big hit Silver Machine was banned by the BBC in 1973 because of the IRA bombing campaign in England.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

The Kinks- Lola was banned aswell I think. I wasn't alive then but its about a shemale and I remember someone telling me it was banned. Great song though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

lordgoat wrote: »
    +1

Lennon did the same thing:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the CIA thought lennon was in the ira

Canibal corpse cannot play any songs off certain albums(live) in germany
    All Cannibal Corpse albums up to (and including) Tomb of the Mutilated were banned upon release from being sold or displayed in Germany due to their graphic cover art and disturbing lyrics; the band was also forbidden to play any songs from those albums while touring in Germany.[16] This prohibition was not lifted until June 2006.[16] In a 2004 interview, George Fisher attempted to recall what originally provoked the ban:

A woman saw someone wearing one of our shirts, I think she is a schoolteacher, and she just caused this big stink about it. So [now] we can’t play anything from the first three records. And it really sucks because kids come up and they want us to play all the old songs — and we would — but they know the deal. We can’t play 'Born In a Casket' but can play 'Dismembered and Molested.'

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

TheStook wrote: »
    The Kinks- Lola was banned aswell I think. I wasn't alive then but its about a shemale and I remember someone telling me it was banned. Great song though..

I might by wrong here, but I believe it was banned, not because of the transvestite references in the song, but because originally the lyric "drinks champagne that tastes just like cherry cola" was actually "drinks champagne that tastes just like coca cola". It was deemed to be a form of advertising of a particular brand. So Ray Davies changed it to "cherry cola" so it would by played on radio. As I said I might be wrong.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ya you're spot on...heard that before about coca cola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Quite a few songs were banned during the mid '70s. Firstly, there was a guy called Judge Dredd, who was a regular visitor to the U.K. Top 20 and who never got played by the BBC. I believe the songs were of a bawdy/smutty nature.

Secondly and more famously, some of Donna Summer's early songs were banned by the BBC- the most famous being "Love to Love You Baby" which was a massive disco hit. I think her version of "Could It be Magic" may also have been banned at the time. The reason for her songs being banned were because of the simulated groans - a bit like "Je T'aime". In fact to this day, it is an abridged version of "Love to Love You Baby" that tends to be played on the radio!

Moving towards the late '70s, "God Save the Queen" was not the only Sex Pistols tune to be banned by the BBC. "Anarchy in the UK" seemed to have been censored from playing because of its irreverance towards the establishment.... I don't think its banned anymore.

The Sex Pistols' Paul Cook and Steve Jones teamed up with Ronald Biggs to make "A Punk Prayer (No-one is Innocent)". This was controversial because he was one of the "Great Train Robbers" from the 1960's - that was enough in itself to merit a ban. The b-side didn't help - it featured Sid Vicious doing his own version of "My Way" complete with some controversial lyric changes including the use of the "F" word.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

George Formby's "When I'm Cleaning Windows" was banned by the BBC in 1936 as its lyrics were too racy :p

fryup wrote: »
    Relax - frankie goes to Hollywood

references to gay sex
    yeah that was a big one...i was an 80's kid and that went over everyones head in my village!!!

When you want to cum indeed!!!

actually here's the full song...laser beams ha ha
    Oh oh
    Wee-ell-Now!

Relax don't do it
    When you want to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    When you want to come

Relax don't do it
    When you want to to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to suck to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Come-oh oh oh

But shoot it in the right direction
    Make making it your intention-ooh yeah
    Live those dreams
    Scheme those schemes
    Got to hit me
    Hit me
    Hit me with those laser beams

I'm coming
    I'm coming-yeah

Relax don't do it
    When you want to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come

Relax don't do it
    When you want to suck to it
    Relax don't do it (love)
    When you want to come
    When you want to come
    When you want to come
    Come-huh

Get it up
    The scene of love
    Oh feel it

Relax
    Higher higher

Hey-
    Pray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Banned from the BBC for bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Technically not "banned", but written and played live around the time of the 9/11 attacks

Had to change the lyrics and title of song (Rise) after much criticism.

this one for obvious reasons

(great backbeat though);)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I believe this song is banned in Germany, so when they play it live its just an instrumental.

Advertisement