Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash last night in Knocknacarra

Options
  • 23-12-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about this? Aparantly on the radio it said some roads in knocknacarra are closed off due to a fatal crash last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, there was a major accident yesterday on Barna road below Knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

DRIVER ARRESTED AFTER MAN SERIOUSLY INJURED IN SALTHILL CRASH

December 23, 2012 - 2:15pm
    THE driver of a car was arrested and taken to Galway Garda Station for questioning after a pedestrian suffered serious injuries when struck by a car in the Knockacarra area of Salthill in the early hours of today.

The incident happened on the Barna Road at 1.40 am and the young man, who was walking, suffered serious leg injuries and was rushed to University Hospital, Galway (UHG) where he is being treated for his injuries.

The driver of the car was arrested at the scene and taken to Galway Garda Station where he is being questioned under the Provisions of Section 4 of the the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

A stretch of the Barna Road was closed overnight and until lunchtime today, from Knocknacarra Cross to the entrance to the Ballymoneen Road, as the scene of the incident was preserved while Garda investigations continued.

Approximate location of collision: on the brow of the hill between here and here.

There's a strange blank on StreetView along this stretch, hence the two links above.

There was a fatal crash in the vicinity back in 2008.

MAN BEFORE COURT FOLLOWING PEDESTRIAN CRASH IN KNOCKNACARRA

December 24, 2012 - 10:12am
    A man aged in his early 30s is to appear before court today (Dec 24) following a crash in the Knocknacarra area yesterday in which a pedestrian was seriously injured.

The incident happened on the Barna Road at 1.40 yesterday morning during which a young man was struck by a car while walking.

He suffered serious leg injuries and was rushed to University Hospital, Galway (UHG).

The man, who was the driver of the car, was arrested at the scene and taken to Galway Garda Station where he was questioned under Section 4 of the the Criminal Justice Act.

He's to appear before a special sitting of Galway District Court today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In some good news the Galway Advertiser are reporting that the victim is making very good progress in hospital and surprising staff. Hes in intensive care in presumably a medically induced coma as they mention staff are hoping to wake him tomorrow,earlier than they expected to be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

In some good news the Galway Advertiser are reporting that the victim is making very good progress in hospital and surprising staff. Hes in intensive care in presumably a medically induced coma as they mention staff are hoping to wake him tomorrow,earlier than they expected to be able to.

This is truly hopeful news. Please goodness, let him make a full recovery!

Good to hear.

Medically induced coma implies/suggests head injury or neurosurgical intervention of some sort.

Update on this serious collision: I have been told by several independent sources that the pedestrian injured in this crash lost both his legs below the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Update on this serious collision: I have been told by several independent sources that the pedestrian injured in this crash lost both his legs below the knee.

Was there a point, other than rubbernecking, for dredging up this thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Yes some of us keep an eye on these things for the purpose of reducing the frequency with which they occur. There is a difference between rubbernecking and stopping to help at the scene of a crash or working to prevent crashes.

• Advertisement

Yes some of us keep an eye on these things for the purpose of reducing the frequency with which they occur. There is a difference between rubbernecking and stopping to help at the scene of a crash or working to prevent crashes.

So, reading info on boards about a person you don't know who was hit by drunk driver reduces the frequency of such events happening.

How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know the lad who was involved very well, and while he might not mind this thread himself, I think its a bit crass to be posting details of injuries to anyone involved in such an accident. Everyone can read in the paper that there were serious injuries, there's no need to spell out exactly what they are. People don't need to know those details to help work on preventing crashes, and people are also entitled to have their medical details kept private, not posted on an internet forum.

So, reading info on boards about a person you don't know who was hit by drunk driver reduces the frequency of such events happening.

How does that work?

If you require information on how civil society and representative democracy works in this country then the citizens information office has quite a good website.

So, reading info on boards about a person you don't know who was hit by drunk driver reduces the frequency of such events happening. How does that work?

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know the lad who was involved very well, and while he might not mind this thread himself, I think its a bit crass to be posting details of injuries to anyone involved in such an accident. Everyone can read in the paper that there were serious injuries, there's no need to spell out exactly what they are. People don't need to know those details to help work on preventing crashes, and people are also entitled to have their medical details kept private, not posted on an internet forum.

Curious that highlighting the seriousness of a particular collision on a particular road should be equated with "rubbernecking".

I have referred to nobody's "medical details", since I don't have access to such information, obviously. Nor did I mention anything about a "drunk driver", incidentally.

The term "serious injury" is very broad, and it may not be realised just how life-changing such injuries can be.

There's an incredible amount of complacency about these things, and IMO there's an attitude that if nobody died then there's not so much to worry about. The Barna Road has seen numerous collisions over the years, some of them fatal, some of them "serious" and many of them "minor". Yet almost nothing has been done to make that road safer, for vulnerable road users especially.

Susan Gray of PARC has called for serious injuries in road collisions to be given much greater attention.

The RSA, GNTB, DoJE&D, DoT and others are also prioritising serious injury, as significant progress is made on reducing fatalities.

If you require information on how civil society and representative democracy works in this country then the citizens information office has quite a good website.

That sentence is meaningless. Using big words like 'representative democracy' doesn't hide the fact that you're clearly talking out your arse. What has representative democracy got to do with this accident, or any accident for that matter?

My own understanding of terms such as "civil society" and "representative democracy" is that citizens have a right -- possibly even a moral obligation -- to raise issues of concern and to engage in discussion and action regarding matters of public interest and public welfare.

Road safety is one very important area where the public interest is well served by civic engagement, IMO.

By the way, in this context, I would argue against the routine use of the word "accident" to describe events of a type that are in broad terms predictable and preventable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

My own understanding of terms such as "civil society" and "representative democracy" is that citizens have a right -- possibly even a moral obligation -- to raise issues of concern and to engage in discussion and action regarding matters of public interest and public welfare.

Road safety is one very important area where the public interest is well served by civic engagement, IMO.

I've a nosey neighbour who feels the same!

Welcome back.

Interesting use of the words "civic", "civil" "democratic" and "society" in this document: http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/communiquejune2006.pdf

And here: http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/national%20model%20of%20community%20policing%20-%20jan%2026th%202009.pdf

My brain hurts.

My question is very simple. Broken down to it's most basic, representative democracy is a form of government whereby individuals elect other individuals to represent them. What, therefore, has this got to do with what happened to the poor lad involved in this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

How does that work?
    can you link to the charge or conviction for "drunk"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, this is spiralling now. There is no mention in any linked source about drink being involved. Let's not go there until there is official confirmation.
    I don't mind discussions on traffic dangers but let's keep this local and on topic.

Zzippy, please convey our deepest sympathies to the injured man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This thread shoulda been lockzoned once someone was charged and remanded in custody 2 months back. Wild speculation, conflation issues and general opinions are not proper once someone is charged, way it is. !!!

Not even sure about the wisdom of unlocking the threads once the sentence is over either!. :D

My brain hurts.

My question is very simple. Broken down to it's most basic, representative democracy is a form of government whereby individuals elect other individuals to represent them. What, therefore, has this got to do with what happened to the poor lad involved in this incident?

Because the likelihood of such incidents and the associated injuries.derives from decisions made about how we manage and police our roads. If we are to get those decisions changed, it is useful to be able to confront those in charge with the consequenes of their actions.

Because the likelihood of such incidents and the associated injuries.derives from decisions made about how we manage and police our roads. If we are to get those decisions changed, it is useful to be able to confront those in charge with the consequenes of their actions.

There's a time and a place and its not here!!

Theres a time and a place and its not here!!

So where then? At the end of the 1990s our collective failure to provide ourselves with an appropriate and effective national system for managing and policing our roads resulted in a situation we had the highest child pedestrian death rate in Western Europe.

In contrast to the current media handwringing over cyberbullying, you will find little discussion or admission of this fact in the newspapers of the time. For some sectors of Irish civil society it would seem that discussions about pedestrian safety have implications that are too uncomfortable to contemplate.

Despite these established failures of our police and our national media(among others) this is still a democracy and the rest of us as voters have to get on with addressing these issues

By default places like boards becomes the forum for such discussions. It is clearly far from ideal but it is much much better than nothing.

Yeah but not in this thread please GC, start a new one in Commuting and Transport or something like that. :)

So where then? At the end of the 1990s our collective failure to provide ourselves with an appropriate and effective national system for managing and policing our roads resulted in a situation we had the highest child pedestrian death rate in Western Europe.

In contrast to the current media handwringing over cyberbullying, you will find little discussion or admission of this fact in the newspapers of the time. For some sectors of Irish civil society it would seem that discussions about pedestrian safety have implications that are too uncomfortable to contemplate.

Despite these established failures of our police and our national media(among others) this is still a democracy and the rest of us as voters have to get on with addressing these issues

By default places like boards becomes the forum for such discussions. It is clearly far from ideal but it is much much better than nothing.

Like I said there's a time and a place, the dragging up of this thread was to enquire of the extent of personal injury of a victim, not appropiate and trying to justify it in the name of road safety is disingenuous !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah but not in this thread please GC, start a new one in Commuting and Transport or something like that. :)

Like I said there's a time and a place, the dragging up of this thread was to enquire of the extent of personal injury of a victim, not appropiate and trying to justify it in the name of road safety is disingenuous !

I accept that this is not a good place to discuss such issues - but people who choose to object to the acknowledgement of these issues, or who choose to take offence at the established concern of others regarding these issues, can expect to be taken down off their high horses.

So no apologies.

@Zzippy please pass on my own hopes for a good recovery to your friend.

No "dragging" involved, and what's "disingenuous" about referring to road safety in the context of a serious collision?

• Advertisement

I accept that this is not a good place to discuss such issues

You can get on any horse you like unless it is clear that someone has been charged with something in which case some circumspection is to be expected of all of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement