Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash last night in Knocknacarra

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You can get on any horse you like unless it is clear that someone has been charged with something in which case some circumspection is to be expected of all of us.

Agreed. Establishing facts rather than engaging in random speculation about either the incident, or the motives of those who are concerned about it, are all that is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think discussion about safety on the Barna Road is required.

However, I'm also aware that a particular case has come before the courts.

Perhaps such important matters would be more appropriate for another thread, but I don't believe that a particular collision, even if it is sub judice, should preclude discussion about general safety issues relating to the location.

Quite the opposite, I would suggest. If the safety of a particular road can't be highlighted after a collision occurs, when can it be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, I would suggest. If the safety of a particular road can't be highlighted after a collision occurs, when can it be?

We cannot go to " safety of a particular road" in this thread under the circumstances which involved a late night incident where someone was charged afterwards. Find somewhere else to discuss it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If the safety of a particular road can't be highlighted after a collision occurs, when can it be?

The sad reality is only after fatalities become statistics to highlight the problem does public money get allocated to do something about it.

We cannot go to " safety of a particular road" in this thread under the circumstances which involved a late night incident where someone was charged afterwards. Find somewhere else to discuss it.

Are you modding the Galway City forum now?

newkie wrote: »
    The sad reality is only after fatalities become statistics to highlight the problem does public money get allocated to do something about it.

I'm not even sure that accumulated evidence of fatalities makes a difference.

There are several locations in Galway City where fatalities and serious injuries have occurred and where no action has been taken to mitigate risk, whether by engineering or enforcement measures.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, perhaps the way to discuss such matters without referencing a particular case still before the courts would be to have a general thread on road safety in the city? Or is that a total non-runner in the Galway City forum at this stage, given the fate of previous road/traffic related threads? Just a thought, well-intentioned...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

EDIT: Now that I think of it, perhaps the way to discuss such matters without referencing a particular case still before the courts would be to have a general thread on road safety in the city?

Ching ching. :D
    Or is that a total non-runner in the Galway City forum at this stage, given the fate of previous road/traffic related threads? Just a thought, well-intentioned...

Not every one is locked....and there are rather a lot of them including some yet worthy of a resurrection. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

perhaps the way to discuss such matters without referencing a particular case still before the courts would be to have a general thread on road safety in the city? Or is that a total non-runner in the Galway City forum at this stage, given the fate of previous road/traffic related threads? Just a thought, well-intentioned...
    Not every one is locked....and there are rather a lot of them including some yet worthy of a resurrection. :D

This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere except in circles, so I'm locking it for the time being.

It's becoming a thread about creating a thread within a thread... Mother of God. Thread-ception!

Condolences to the injured man.

The problem with general traffic threads is that they go off topic and tend to get a little nasty very fast. If there was an acceptable format for a traffic thread in which everyone behaved and was civil, it might be on the cards for creation.

Please contact me if anyone has anything else pertinent to add to this thread.

A drink-driver who severed a pedestrian’s leg when he mounted a footpath on the Barna Road while almost five times over the legal blood-alcohol limit has been jailed for five years and disqualified from driving for 20 years.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/motorist-who-severed-pedestrian-s-leg-in-crash-jailed-1.1672700

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Another update
    Drunk driver gets most of five-year sentence suspended

A drunk driver who struck a pedestrian and left him a double amputee has had three years of his five year sentence suspended and his 20-year driving ban reduced to five years by the Court of Appeal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement