Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gigs of 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

1.watch the throne, the 02 dublin
    2.the xx , the olympia dublin
    3.Rammstein, the 02 dublin
    4.george fitzgerald , twisted pepper
    5.blink 182, the 02 dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Hot Chip at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Has this thread already been done this year or am I having ridiculous deja-vu atm? :confused: Either way...

1) Billy Talent in The Academy (Dublin) - was great to see them in such a small venue and they were really on form that night!
    2) New Found Glory at the Kerrang! Tour
    3) Snow Patrol in the O2 in January
    4) The Milk at Trinity Ball (didn't know who they were but their set was a lot of fun!)
    5) blink-182 in the 02 - but mostly for the combination of them and the support bands (Four Year Strong and All American Rejects), didn't think blink themselves were as good as the previous show.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Went to Swedish House Mafia at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. It was pretty special and probably the best night of my life!

Went to Dance Valley too which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mostly festivals for me.
    Django Django - Body & Soul Festival

Toots and the Maytals - Liss Ard Festval

Squarepusher - Electric Picnic

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Philip Glass with his ensemble and full choir / orchestra playing along to Koyaanisqatsi at the Barbican will be the gig I remember most from 2012. I thought I knew that film and soundtrack well but seeing it live was a literal out of body experience.

Primavera was pretty limp though that was probably due to some bad choices on my part and the new larger layout making it harder to stage hop. Just for pure fun Justice was the best thing I saw that weekend. Musically I felt Other Lives were the most memorable. A huge amount of other acts felt like they were going through the motions. That included usually reliable acts like Beach House, The Cure, The Rapture etc.

EP had some excellent moments with Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros but I'd seen them both before. Late night Ham Sandwich in the Salty Dog deserves a mention.

Rammstein was 10 years too late for my musical tastes and no amount of fire could make me forget I didn't care for the music anymore. Technical impressive show though and it was on a scale you just didn't get in this country until the O2 came along. You kids don't know how lucky you are. In our day you'd be lucky to get a cardboard cutout of the band and a cassette of their greatest hits (they upgraded to CDs sometime in the late 90s).

Best: Can't decide between Watch the Throne and Rammstein - tie

Worst: RHCP at Croker - just the sound. It was absolutely godawful, I couldn't hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Saw many gigs in 2012 , but Mavis Staples was sublime at NCH

Other gigs that rocked my boat -

Christy at EP
    Patti smith also at EP
    Mark Lanegan

but Mavis Staple truly has a voice of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

notnumber wrote: »
    Porcelain Raft in the Pearce Center
    Echolake in the Workmans
    Public Image Limited
    Exitmusic in Whelans
    Death in Vegas in Vicar Sreet.

Great year for gigs,many left off the list !:D

Boss, each to their own n'all, but how are Echolake, & Exitmusic in your top 5?..I was at both those shows, n at Echolake, there was about 10 people at it n they were on stage for about 25minutes, n about 20 people at Exitmusic..they were very very good, but to say they were in your top 5?..ye musta seen some pretty poor shows

I seen Porcelain Raft in Vancouver back in April this year - again, about 30 people at it, n even if it was 300 people at it, he was excellent, but meh - defo not up there with the best I've seen all year...each to their own n'all, but an unusual list....

Best 5:

Coldplay in Vancouver
    Black Keys w/ Arctic Monkeys in Vancouver
    Tanlines in Vancouver
    The XX in the Olympia
    Edward Sharpe in the Olympia

Worst 5:

Neon Indian in Vancouver
    Clap Your Hands Say Yea in Vancouver
    Fun. in the Academy

some great gigs to look forward to this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Emeli Sande in The Olympia, intimate and great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Two of my standout gigs of last year:

Ryan Adams-Olympia : Briliant intimate acoustic gig,played most of his songs off the current album with a few classics particulary in the second half of the show. He also engaged with the audience slagging off the CMA's and Rednecks in general, hillarious!!!!!!

The Waterboys - Bord Gais Theatre, 1st half of the show, they played a lot of rare old stuff from their early albums. Second part taken up with the playing of the WB Yeats songs before coming backing out and blowing away the audience with "Dont Bang The Drum (an epic 10 minute version), "Whole of The Moon" and finishing up with "Fishermans Blues". If you've never seen The Waterboys live, you are missing out on a truly amazing experience of seeing one of the greatest live bands in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Stone Roses in Belfast

Foo Fighters in Belfast

Ham Sandwich @ Vantastival

The Riptide Movement @ Knockanstockan

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Two of my standout gigs of last year:

Ryan Adams-Olympia : Briliant intimate acoustic gig,played most of his songs off the current album with a few classics particulary in the second half of the show. He also engaged with the audience slagging off the CMA's and Rednecks in general, hillarious!!!!!!

The Waterboys - Bord Gais Theatre, 1st half of the show, they played a lot of rare old stuff from their early albums. Second part taken up with the playing of the WB Yeats songs before coming backing out and blowing away the audience with "Dont Bang The Drum (an epic 10 minute version), "Whole of The Moon" and finishing up with "Fishermans Blues". If you've never seen The Waterboys live, you are missing out on a truly amazing experience of seeing one of the greatest live bands in the world

Was at both these shows.

Ryan's show that night kicked the life outta Belfast show next night as he wasnt half as talkative then, he's a damn funny guy. Belfast still was great, but nowhere near the heights of Olypmpia show. He turned it on that night in Dublin & was very appreciative of the whole night.

The Waterboys - great great gig also. Came with a buddy of mine who was skeptical at best, said it was best show he'd seen in few years. Great back up band Mike has currently, still keeping if fresh, super gig. I felt alive after leaving Grand Canal! Been 4 years since Ive seen them & they upped their game since then big time.

But my two gigs of the year that I find it impossible to seperate would be

Jack White in O2 & Anthrax in The Academy.

Only 4 days into 2013 & got 8 shows lined up already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Don't want to over elaborate the point but the best gig I've been to in years by miles and miles and miles was First Aid Kit in Vicar St in November.

Honourable mentions to Richard Hawley in the same venue during the same week and Muse in the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

weser777 wrote: »
    Boss, each to their own n'all, but how are Echolake, & Exitmusic in your top 5?

this phenomenon, while confusing to some, is generally known as subjectivity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

1. Rammstein- What a show.

2. Chris Cornell unplugged at the olympia, amazing...

Advertisement