Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow box *****!

• 23-12-2012 5:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Just outside the estate where I live there's traffic lights and a yellow box to allow cars enter and exit the estate when traffic is backed up from the lights.

So I meet this yellow box on every car journey. Either people are stupid or just plain cnuts.

Today i had a fella agressively rev and squeeze the space in front of him as he sat in the yellow box where i should have the space to join the line of traffic.

His scoby passanger was shaking her head as if i was trying to force my way in.

As they pulled of I gave a honk to show my displeasure, only to see the car behind him who was also wrongfully sitting in the box screech past me too. This time an ould fart with his cnut wife.

**** road users. Too high a percentage are plain ****ing useless. Running red lights, no indication ever, driving in the middle of two lanes at 10mph, hogging yellow boxes, parking outside a shop entrance blocking view of a pedestrian crossing when the carpark a few feet away is empty.

Oh and you're never "letting" people into a yellow box, you shouldn't be in the ****ing thing in the first place!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

totally agree with you, what is it with some drivers and their aversion to staying the Hell out of a yellow box. Its just plain inconsideration for other road users and more annoyingly it show they cant have been paying attention to the road signs in the first F*&King place.

Those and the twats that sit at 80kphn in the outside lane of a dual carriage way or motor way, those that cant be arsed to use indicators deserve a very very special hot place in the after life.

Sadly I think that karma doesn't come around quick enough to teach them a lesson

Rant over gona take my meds now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

err...you shouldn't enter the yellow box unless your exit is clear....that means YOU shouldn't be regarding it as a space to pukll into to acces the road. The only time you may stop in it is if you are turning right and your exit is clear, but you cannot proceed due to oncoming traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I believe the issue is with people not understanding the rules of a yellow box that cause issues. They think they can stop in them whenever they want. As above poster said, only time you can stop in a yellow box is if you are turning right and not causing an obstruction. There was a yellow box at the traffic lights in my local town. About 20% of ppl using it did so correctly. It has recently been replaced by turning boxes, even thickos can figure them out!! Best thing ever happened in d town!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This only happens to me in certain parts of the country. Galway and parts of the midlands. There seems to be an attitude or some sort of weird culture when it comes to road manners, merging, yellow box etiquette and basic driving skills. I live on Dublin, and on the mornings that I have to take the car most people will leave junctions clear even if it doesn't have a yellow box, most will let people merge into traffic from minor roads like a zip. It's all very dignified and friendly... When I go west however, the standards drop and people just get ruder.

So, Op, where is your estate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

corktina wrote: »
    err...you shouldn't enter the yellow box unless your exit is clear....that means YOU shouldn't be regarding it as a space to pukll into to acces the road. The only time you may stop in it is if you are turning right and your exit is clear, but you cannot proceed due to oncoming traffic

That's an assumption you've made. I never said I entered the box itself without the ability to clear it without stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Meanwhile, back in the real world, everyone uses the yellow box to access the road in the manner described by the OP and it makes perfect sense as he's not obstructing anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That's an assumption you've made. I never said I entered the box itself without the ability to clear it without stopping.
    Were you turning left OP?

For the nit-pickers; It's obvious what's happening if we read the opening post.

People are blocking the yellow box to stop desaparecido what they perceive "getting out in front of them".

I see it happen in Galway all the time (usually by the over forty "been driving for years" brigade) Doesn't matter if he's turning left, right or going straight, the yellow box should be left clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Recently, in slow moving traffic heading down the hill in Leixlip I was stopped just at a yellow box. The car behind me pulled out and nipped in in front of me into the yellow box- yes he got one car closer to his destination and blocked traffic wanting to exit from a side road.

what can you do when you have this moronic attitude on the road, you can complain and give out all you want, but these people just do not give two flying fúcks about anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Meanwhile, back in the real world, everyone uses the yellow box to access the road in the manner described by the OP and it makes perfect sense as he's not obstructing anyone

No , in the real world what actually happens is today a guy pulls up where he supposed to and sees someone pull out of the side turn into the yellow box illegally and thinks to himself "tomorrow, I won't be so courteous..."

• Advertisement

No , in the real world what actually happens is today a guy pulls up where he supposed to and sees someone pull out of the side turn into the yellow box illegally and thinks to himself "tomorrow, I won't be so courteous..."

Not driving in to the yellow box is being courteous?

The next day, driving in to the yellow box just to be nasty?

This isn't the real world, this is your little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

The vast majority of reasonable people have no problem with the yellowbox being used by a motorist to access the road in busy traffic. The alternative would be for the motorist to wait on the side road and hope that someone will let them out when the traffic starts moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

stoneill wrote: »
    Recently, in slow moving traffic heading down the hill in Leixlip I was stopped just at a yellow box. The car behind me pulled out and nipped in in front of me into the yellow box- yes he got one car closer to his destination and blocked traffic wanting to exit from a side road.

what can you do when you have this moronic attitude on the road, you can complain and give out all you want, but these people just do not give two flying fúcks about anyone.

i've had the same done to me when satat the edge of the box on the bike, to piss him off i filtered passed him at the queue for the next set of lights (hard to beat a bike for traffic busting!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The vast majority of reasonable people have no problem with the yellowbox being used by a motorist to access the road in busy traffic. The alternative would be for the motorist to wait on the side road and hope that someone will let them out when the traffic starts moving.
    But that's against the nature of the box. I have no issue allowing people out. I do it daily. It bugs me when I respect the box and your scenario occurs and the joining traffic move onto the box.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/yellow-box-junctions.html
    An exception is when you want to turn right. In this case, you may enter the yellow box junction while waiting for a gap in traffic coming from the opposite direction. However, don't enter the box if to do so would block other traffic that has the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Due to messing up legislation when the luas was being put in, the only yellow boxes you can't legally stop in in Dublin are the ones at a junction of a road and a light railway. This was only fixed in the recent Road Traffic SI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

This isn't explained at all in the rules of the road:
    233810.jpg

He's turned into the box from the road to the right, but is sitting there. This is what I see all the time and is normal practice and how the box should work.

The vast majority of yellow boxes I see are T-junctions. So at a T-junction, coming from a minor road from the left, and turning left into the yellow box is no different to the above in my eyes.
    233809.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone familiar with terenure will know the one at crips/rathdown motors/pat barron motors......the amount of c*nts that just drive sideways to sit in it is unreal.

I hope they bring in yellow box cameras.....sort these w*nk stains out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

So WTF did they paint it there for if the OP cannot use it to pull into out of his estate? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Just outside the estate where I live there's traffic lights and a yellow box to allow cars enter and exit the estate when traffic is backed up from the lights.

So I meet this yellow box on every car journey. Either people are stupid or just plain cnuts.

Today i had a fella agressively rev and squeeze the space in front of him as he sat in the yellow box where i should have the space to join the line of traffic.

His scoby passanger was shaking her head as if i was trying to force my way in.

As they pulled of I gave a honk to show my displeasure, only to see the car behind him who was also wrongfully sitting in the box screech past me too. This time an ould fart with his cnut wife.

**** road users. Too high a percentage are plain ****ing useless. Running red lights, no indication ever, driving in the middle of two lanes at 10mph, hogging yellow boxes, parking outside a shop entrance blocking view of a pedestrian crossing when the carpark a few feet away is empty.

Oh and you're never "letting" people into a yellow box, you shouldn't be in the ****ing thing in the first place!

sorry but, lol:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Actually the yellow box is there for many reasons, and the one you said you cannot do is actually one of its purposes although it depends on the situation. The OP was allowed for example. Unfortunately the RSA do not make it crystal clear as to when you can the yellow box but any driving instructor will explain it fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

stoneill wrote: »

If I see the guy behind attempting this, I wait a millisecond or two to let him think I haven't noticed, and then when he is committed to it, I ease forward onto the box, and cut him off, leaving him on the wrong side of the road, ranting. With a bit of luck, a line of cars will come the other way, and a heap of horn blowing will ensue all round.

Now let everyone come on here and say I shouldn't do that. Sure I know that. Well It doesn't happen too often, but I make no apology for doing it. If someone wants to be a smartass, let them hang themselves out the window to do it. But I'm not going to facilitate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

In both those diagrams technically the cars are breaking the rules because the exits aren't clear although they aren't impeding the opposing traffic.

In London and other big UK cities yellow boxes are often remotely enforced by camera, first you know about it is an envelope dropping though the letter box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

£120 fine for such petty infractions, naturally reduced to £60 if you pay up promptly like a good little boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I seen a funny incident around xmas a few years back. It was during Operation Freeflow and a Dublin Bus driving north on the quays blocked the yellow box at the Junction of Tara St and Burgh Quay. Out steps a ban Garda and directs the bus driver to turn right onto the bridge and do a lap around custom house quay, the bridge and then Georges quay to get back to where he was. The driver actually got out to argue with the Garda but he eventually gave in and did as directed. I suppose the Garda actually hindered traffic for longer than necessary by doing what she did, but she got a great reaction for it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

That was a bit stupid of her since she slowed traffic even more. I wonder did she know what it was like to drive a bus in city traffic, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That was a bit stupid of her since she slowed traffic even more.
    Short term yes, long term no.
    I wonder did she know what it was like to drive a bus in city traffic, probably not.
    Is there something about driving a bus that requires an exemption from the yellow box rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

No, there's not, but since a bus is 2-3 times longer, it would be easier for the driver to find himself stuck in a yellow box.

Making him do another circuit just inconveniences passengers and not the driver since he'll clock off at the same time regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

No, there's not, but since a bus is 2-3 times longer, it would be easier for the driver to find himself stuck in a yellow box.

Making him do another circuit just inconveniences passengers and not the driver since he'll clock off at the same time regardless.

Since a bus is 2 - 3 times longer, the driver should know what distance he/she has coming to a box junction. The driver is also higher up so would be able to see traffic ahead better. Also the drivers are on a clock as in the timetable, running late, fecks the whole route up. Driver has to explain to his boss why he was late, (and then get an extra payment the unions agreed...:rolleyes:)

Seen a bus driver box a box junction on the quay before, all traffic coming done under Christ-church could not cross the junction, up comes Gardai on a bike and pulls the bus over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since a bus is 2 - 3 times longer, the driver should know what distance he/she has coming to a box junction. The driver is also higher up so would be able to see traffic ahead better. Also the drivers are on a clock as in the timetable, running late, fecks the whole route up. Driver has to explain to his boss why he was late, (and then get an extra payment the unions agreed...:rolleyes:)

Seen a bus driver box a box junction on the quay before, all traffic coming done under Christ-church could not cross the junction, up comes Gardai on a bike and pulls the bus over.

Buses, and trucks, are slower than cars. Many times you go to enter a junction that was clear and a car, sometimes a few, pull into the space you where going for leaving the bus/truck stuck in the yellow box. It's not always the driver of a large vehicles fault if they are in a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Buses, and trucks, are slower than cars. Many times you go to enter a junction that was clear and a car, sometimes a few, pull into the space you where going for leaving the bus/truck stuck in the yellow box. It's not always the driver of a large vehicles fault if they are in a box.

Traffic on Dublin quays moves slowly, as the stupid low speed limit set, Bumper to bumper. I have seen buses block junction when it was quite clear they would not get across. Nothing to do with other cars, all to do with ignorant drivers, Bus, Truck and car. Never seen a bike block a box junction. (I am not a biker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That was a bit stupid of her since she slowed traffic even more. I wonder did she know what it was like to drive a bus in city traffic, probably not.

I find most traffic corp have no grasp on traffic dynamics beyond applying points liberally for easy-to-catch offences. In fact, I sincerely doubt any have had any education in traffic dynamics, and I mean serious education. It would actually make a world of difference to our roads if they did. Simple stuff, like opening hard shoulders on motorways during accidents to aid flow etc etc.

Best example I can give is here at Stillorgan, they wait for people to enter the bus lane perhaps at most 20m early to filter into Stillorgan. No buses, no chance of blocking the lane and they are reducing traffic on the N11. Its a whole world away from those that drive 100's of metres in the bus lane, something I'm wholly against. Again, making a key distinction between 20m and 100's of metres.

Link: http://goo.gl/maps/yeJo7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Traffic on Dublin quays moves slowly, as the stupid low speed limit set, Bumper to bumper. I have seen buses block junction when it was quite clear they would not get across. Nothing to do with other cars, all to do with ignorant drivers, Bus, Truck and car.

Same as everything there are good and bad drivers. But once there are 2 or more lanes car drivers have to get ahead of buses and sometimes cut across lanes. Other times drivers of large vehicle have to be assertive and block a junction or else they'll never move, as cars will keep exiting a side road and block the drivers exit of the box before they can clear it so they have to block it to cross it. Sometimes the rules of the road have to be broken by drivers of large vehicles in order for them to proceed, as most of the rules aren't made with large vehicles in mind.
    Never seen a bike block a box junction. (I am not a biker)

That's because bikes are one of the best methods of urban transportation. Something which our law makers ignore by not allowing access to bus lanes, which has been proven to be the safest way for bikes to travel in cities with zero affect on buses or bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ahmedwageeh

is there an official penalty/fine/offence for stopping on the yellow box?

i was caught a couple of weeks ago by Garda for this, and have been waiting for the fine in post, but haven't received anything, its been aprox 3 weeks now since it happened. Maybe he changed his mind :)

When it happened, in my opinion, even though i wasn't following rules of the road, i wasn't a blocking path for anyone when in this scenario!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ahmedwageeh

is there an official penalty/fine/offence for stopping on the yellow box?

www. rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

i was caught a couple of weeks ago by Garda for this, and have been waiting for the fine in post, but haven't received anything, its been aprox 3 weeks now since it happened. Maybe he changed his mind :)

When it happened, in my opinion, even though i wasn't following rules of the road, i wasn't a blocking path for anyone when in this scenario!

• Advertisement
Advertisement