Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you do during MMA droughts?

• 23-12-2012 5:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

We often have no new MMA action for a while, sometimes up to a month, and with Strikeforce closing in Jan it seems like it'll be UFC or nothing.

There's Bellator but I find it very hard to get into fights where I have no knowledge of the fighters.

So what do you do?
    Just wait?
    Download old UFCs/rewatch classic fights?
    Play UFC unleashed on your xbox?
    Watch Jean Claude Van Damme movies?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I re-watch the build up pressers then download that even an watch it.

As you said, don't know enough of any other fighting organisation to have a huge interest in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

start following the local scene , you'll be surprised and entertained maybe even inspired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Hang around this forum on my own all day waiting for something to happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Kieran81 wrote: »
    start following the local scene , you'll be surprised and entertained maybe even inspired :D

I'm actually thinking about starting MMA training myself in the new year.
    Think there's dedicated MMA training in my town Midleton, Co cork in the train station gym.

So look out Jon Bones I'm coming for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I enjoy the break and give myself a chance to properly look forward to an event instead of quickly hopping between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

Watch old events.

Do you watch any related combat sports? If there's no MMA there's always Kickboxing or ADCC etc.
    The Dream revival NYE event should be worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

[
    Brendan is a very good instructor and passionate about coaching. You'll enjoy yourself at the train station

Quote=jayteecork;82356178]

Think there's dedicated MMA training in my town Midleton, Co cork in the train station gym.

So look out Jon Bones I'm coming for you![/Quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

To be fair MMA is an incredible sport in that their is a ridiculous amount of it you won't have seen on the Internet for free. Whenever there's no new UFC or Cage Warriors or other big promotion out I'd go to the bloody elbow scouting report pick someone at random and head to YouTube to find their fights.

Also the amount of free amateur and professional Irish mma fights available online there's no excuse for not following it.

I couldn't believe on this a few weeks ago the amount of people watching UFC prelims ahead of the Owen Roddy fight. I couldn't get over it.

Irish MMA is so powerful at the minute and we still have apes living here who can't appreciate it. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smiley2742

At the minute I can't see past cage warriors.... Couldn't be more excited, but living in oz the uploads and interviews Are few and far between in my opinion though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'd get my fight fix from Boxing, youtube and the local scene.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Hang around Camden Street at the weekends with a box of popcorn and watch the local 'fight' scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jayteecork wrote: »
    If you're seriously thinking about it, I'd suggest taking the plunge sooner rather than later. One of my biggest regrets is the time I spent thinking about it. As soon as I started I hooked and wished I'd had that extra time under my belt.
    smiley2742 wrote: »
    At the minute I can't see past cage warriors.... Couldn't be more excited, but living in oz the uploads and interviews Are few and far between in my opinion though!!

There's worse things you could do than get into the local scene in oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

IMO following the Irish scene and cheering on lads you know personally is just as exciting if not more than watching the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jonah42 wrote: »
    IMO following the Irish scene and cheering on lads you know personally is just as exciting if not more than watching the UFC.

I've been pushing that line on the forum for years.

I get that people like to see the big names, but personally a lot of the UFC bores me to tears. UFC96? (the Dublin show) was one of the worse MMA events I've been to.

So during a drought ~ I train :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I watch other sports.............

am I the only one?

There's a good one called "football" I watch now and again. It#s gonna be big, look out for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I watch other sports.............

am I the only one?

There's a good one called "football" I watch now and again. It#s gonna be big, look out for it :D
    Is that the one where the lads fall over and cry when ya sneeze on them?! Yeah I heard of it before. Sounds kinda gay!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Dean09 wrote: »
    Is that the one where the lads fall over and cry when ya sneeze on them?! Yeah I heard of it before. Sounds kinda gay!

Very dangerous sport alright.

According to a top manager Van Persie was almost killed last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

According to a top manager Van Persie was almost killed last week.

I heard that too, shot in the head with a ball apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Mellor wrote: »
    If you're seriously thinking about it, I'd suggest taking the plunge sooner rather than later. One of my biggest regrets is the time I spent thinking about it. As soon as I started I hooked and wished I'd had that extra time under my belt.

There's worse things you could do than get into the local scene in oz

Mellor where do you train in Sydney? Been looking for a gym for the past month and going to try out roots BJJ on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor where do you train in Sydney? Been looking for a gym for the past month and going to try out roots BJJ on Friday.

Which Roots, there's a few around. Or more specifically where do you live.

Check your PMs. I'll send you a bit of info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement