Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omerta: City of Gangsters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

looks like a remake of Gangsters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OwTQJqBMmA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

looks like a remake of Gangsters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OwTQJqBMmA

Dare my dreams come true! :eek:

Loved gangsters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

KonFusion wrote: »
    Dare my dreams come true! :eek:

Loved gangsters.

Gangsters 2 was AMAZING!

The hours I wasted away playing that game. Ahh, the memories... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been cautiously optimistic about this. A mix of Jagged Alliance and Gangsters could be a great thing, but I'm not going to get too excited until closer to it's release, when I can see more of how it plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

There are loads of gameplay videos out at the moment and tbh it looks shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Missed this completely and it's out Thursday by the looks of things.

Just downloaded the demo, anyone played it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

there's a demo, yoink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

will be really interested in this, gangsters was a great game, and ive been looking for something to replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Watched a few gameplay vids. Unimpressed so far but sure I'll wait til I give the demo a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Demo of this is out now !
    At first I thought it was some random game, wondering why it was fully priced.
    Then I checked who developed it - same people as Tropico 3/4 !!! so my interest has just skyrocketed ! :D

So gonna start the download immediately ! :D
    Anyone else given it a try ?...ShadowHearth ? ...considering he posted about 6 million times about his love for Tropico haha :P

Edit : Played through demo

Impressions , disappointing .
    It doesn't have the charm of Tropico at all. There appears to be no ability to fast-forward time, so when your men are on missions you are just staring at the screen. The icons at the bottom of screen are so low, that when you bring your mouse near to them it starts to scroll the screen down.
    Minimap symbols aren't as clear as they could be.
    Economy seemed easy enough, with people selling 20 beer for €200 and people buying 15 beer for €350

The worst part by far is the combat, it's like a very poor version of XCom, it really is bad. Movement, hiding, it's all luck, even at point blank range.
    Some fella punched me 4 times, doing 4x15 damage, I shot him point blank in return for 1 x 22 and 1 x miss.
    Suffice to say I died.

Not a day one purchase by any means, will definitely wait a year or so till price comes down.

• Advertisement

I've been gifted the full version, so was giving it a shot last night. It's not bad. I'm just going through the campaign at the moment and it's slightly fun, but nothing amazing.

The main part of the game is the map view which is where you set up businesses and send your men out to raid other gangs. There's lots to do on the map, but it does get a bit repetitive. And although it's a 3d map with people wandering around, it's not really interactive and can be a bit of a pain to try and find where certain buildings are.

There's a basic business model where you "obtain" goods and sell for as high a price as you can, but there's no real budgeting or anything like that. When you're given a goal of getting a certain amount of money, it's easily achieved, but just takes grinding.

There's other things you can do, like raid businesses, bribe police officers, blackmail politicians and scam celebrities, but for these you simply select what you want to do, select the person to do it and then wait. Sometimes that persons opinion of you will change, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

The other part of the game is the tactical sections. These play out like lite versions of XCOM, Jagged Alliance etc. You only have one weapon, ammo is not a factor and you can't pick up anything. Each character gets different attacks and usually some skill (like healing yourself or others, of taking a defensive stance instead of a turn for a defense bonus etc). It's mostly a case of moving towards the enemies and shooting at them until either you or they are dead.

Some missions are better than others, though. There's one where I decided to rob a bank. But I got there to find it being robbed by another gang who were in a fire fight with the police. So I had 10 turns to get in, rob the place and get out again, all while there's a shoot out going on around me. It was actually pretty exciting, and when I failed, I was then given the chance to break into prison to free the member of my gang who was arrested.

I really wish more effort had been put into the tactical side of things. It's not bad, it just could have been awesome with a few simple additions. I've still a lot to play around with, and I haven't gotten too in depth with the buildings (but I don't see anything new happening there), and I haven't had a go of it's sandbox mode yet.

It's not a patch on Gangsters, but it's fun. Probably worth picking up if you've got money to burn, or if you find it going cheap somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got the feeling it could have easily been done like Football Manager, where there was no need for 3D at all.
    The 3d is only really useful it seems for the combat, which I don't like anyways, but you still have the option to skip it - it gives you a chance % of success.

I wasn't really drawn into the 3D World like Tropico, where I used to like zooming in on new buildings and characters complaining etc, maybe because you don't actually "create" or construct your own world here. It's already set out, you just manage a group.

Exactly. And one of the first things they teach you in the tutorial is how to zoom in/out and rotate the camera, which is completely useless and will only really end up confusing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone get this?

18 on g2play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone get this?

18 on g2play

Playing it the last 2 days on and off. Don't know what to make of it yet. Finding it a bit boring and the combat isn't even worth mentioning but I'm going to give it a chance ,as it feels like I'm still in the tutorial phase even though I'm probably on the 5th mission.
    So far I'd say its worth the 18 quid but definately not worth forking out 40 or 50 quid for it.Far from game of the year but not totally terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

So got the demo on steam.

At first I thought it was good but getting onto the second map I was starting to see an issue.

I had to build speakeasys, pizza places, breweries,

About three times it popped up and said I was under investigation, o shít what do I do. then 3 options, destroy the evidence, bribe and call in a favour. That's it.

Ok then I started aggressively buying out the other places in the town, I had 10k to spend upgraded my house fully, upgraded all my business, bribed everyone. With no resistance what so ever. I was running the place. it was too easy.

However. When I went to start the training fight it randomly assigned me weapons the first time it was fists got killed straight out, second a shotgun and thirdly a pistol. Didn't give the option of choosing what weapons or anything.

About half way through the 2nd act now and its after really growing on me. Its not with out its flaws and it is fairly repetitive but the more complex the tasks get the better the game gets. Its definitely no XCOM but the combat gets slightly better when you start levelling up your crew and getting more spaces for hires.As I said before its really not a premium game but would be worth picking up when it goes on sale,which I reckon won't be far away considering alot of the negative reviews its getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

can you change the person you are in control of in combat with out ending the turn ?

No. You only get to use a character when it's their turn. Which can be fairly annoying if you're trying to use any sort of strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

was considering buying this, but it's being hammered by critics as a poor version of an older game, i guess they mean gangsters :/ Shame really, was looking forward to playing something similar to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭crybaby

Good god that trailer is woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The strategy part is a lot like gangsters 2. The mission parts aren't great to be honest. Reminded me of fallout tactics to a certain extent. Wasn't overly impressed by the demo.

main issue for me is that it seems to be missions rather than a take over the city style. Each mission you finish ends that round and you have to start the next one and then repeat the building up of your hideout and businesses all over again. Tropico was the same, id rather one big city that you had to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This game is infuriating, you're expected to kill 6 men with 3 of your own, and then when you lose one of your men gets imprisoned and it doesn't tell you how to get them out. Then you have to fight the next mission with only two men because you can't replace the imprisoned guy :rolleyes: done with this game. I wish I could cut out the combat altogether.

ShaneU wrote: »
    This game is infuriating, you're expected to kill 6 men with 3 of your own, and then when you lose one of your men gets imprisoned and it doesn't tell you how to get them out. Then you have to fight the next mission with only two men because you can't replace the imprisoned guy :rolleyes: done with this game. I wish I could cut out the combat altogether.

Wait till the last mission....drove me mental.Found combat easy till the very last one, then npc's randomly generate beside you for no other reasn than to pis youi off.You stand next to some one with a 90% chance of killing them and miss completely only to be killed by some one who isn't even remotely close. Deleted from hard drive as soon as completed.Was trying to not be overly harsh on it but after totally finishing it, I'd say its one of the biggest pieces of **** I've had the misfortune to play so far this year.

ShaneU wrote: »

If you click the jobs icon and choose Specials there is a mission to break out the guys that are locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If you click the jobs icon and choose Specials there is a mission to break out the guys that are locked up.
    Would be nice if the game told me that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I really had high hope for this game.

I was hoping it would be a modern well polished Gangsters, and while visually it delivers, the gameplay makes you feel like your playing a Facebook game or something similar.

You should be able to select a gangster and instruct him/her to carry out a crime of your choosing rather being restricted by the building you've selected!

I thought I'd be carving up neighbourhoods & battling rival gangs within a city area for control of the profits & respect of the people.

How wrong was I? Oh well, another long wait for a decent gangster strategy sim.

I was hoping it would be a modern well polished Gangsters, and while visually it delivers, the gameplay makes you feel like your playing a Facebook game or something similar.

Exactly it really does feel like a good looking browser game. I spend all my time just clicking endlessly. I have played a lot because i'm also watching netflix on the other screen and slow games suit that but i am getting pretty bored. Might try the sand box see if it is any different but to be honest with Far Cry to finish and Dead Space just arrived I have plenty of other better games to be playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement