Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permit Question.

Options
  • 23-12-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

is a permit required for the river suck at dunamon?
    The section with about 25 pegs..
    If so how much and where can i buy one

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

is a permit required for the river suck at dunamon?
    The section with about 25 pegs..
    If so how much and where can i buy one

Thanks in advance

yes, and as a general rule of thumb any river or tributary that flows into the river Shannon.
    from what i understand the bailiffs do be there quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

dvae wrote: »
    yes, and as a general rule of thumb any river or tributary that flows into the river Shannon.

Cheers

Can permits be bought in dublin?any ideas on cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Cheers

Can permits be bought in dublin?any ideas on cost?

Buy online €39 for year. you can also get 1day or 20 day permit as well: http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/shopping/licences-online.htm

decdon wrote: »
    Buy online €39 for year. you can also get 1day or 20 day permit as well: http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/shopping/licences-online.htm

excellent thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

anywhere there are stands with easy access, they will be there

• Advertisement

To me 39 for the year is very reasonable indeed!
    Do you need a permit for the cavan region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Do you need a permit for the cavan region?

The County of Cavan is split between 2 or 3 river basin districts, South Cavan drains into the Boyne catchment and NO permit is required. This would include lakes like Ramor, Lacken, Galloncurra, Castle, Skeagh etc.

I'm not familiar with the rest of Cavan but I think the area controlled by the Shannon (formally) Board requires a permit. Eg Sheelin.

This leaves another section of say North Cavan and I don't think a permit is required, but again I'm not familiar with this area.

To me 39 for the year is very reasonable indeed!

when you take into account that none of that money goes towards coarse/pike fishing, or any angling in the locality at all, then its not really. There are venues within 5-7 miles of donamon where the timber stands are falling apart. One lake has 30 stands, of which, 6 are actually safe to fish off.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

when you take into account that none of that money goes to wards coarse/pike fishing, or any angling in the locality at all, then its not really. There are venues within 5-7 miles of donamon where the timber stands are falling apart. One lake has 30 stands, of which, 6 are actually safe to fish off.

i think €39 for a permit is the best value ticket you could ever buy. with hundreds of miles of river banks
    to fish and at least two stocked rainbow lakes that i know off, €39 is nothing to pay for a yearly ticket.

I'm not sure if the €39 we pay for our permit goes toward pike and course fishing, but there is funding coming from somewhere.
    the stands and parking at donamon, the ramp and stands at stonehames, the bridge at holygrove, and the boat ramp at ballyforan.
    Ive always thought that these works were all carried out by the srfb

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

For maybe 10 years coarse/pike anglers have had to pay the permit to fish the Suck or Inny systems. When the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board were around they did seperate trout and coarse/pike permit income. They did consult the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs on the spending of the permit income. Since Inland Fisheries Ireland took over all the permit income goes into their general kitty as we were told by IFI at a meeting around 8/9 months ago.
    Trout Anglers could get some value for the permit as there are a few stocked trout lakes that they can fish along with some venues with wild brown trout. Since IFI took over I am not aware of any coarse/pike development work carried out on the waters involved. That said I suppose that IFI could say coarse/pike permit income was spent on non pay expenditure on protection.

• Advertisement

i think €39 for a permit is the best value ticket you could ever buy. with hundreds of miles of river banks
    to fish and at least two stocked rainbow lakes that i know off, €39 is nothing to pay for a yearly ticket.

I'm not sure if the €39 we pay for our permit goes toward pike and course fishing, but there is funding coming from somewhere.
    the stands and parking at donamon, the ramp and stands at stonehames, the bridge at holygrove, and the boat ramp at ballyforan.
    Ive always thought that these works were all carried out by the srfb

The money is not ring fenced, it goes to the IFI, and they can spend it how they like, where ever the like. when the SRFB was active, the money was ring fenced and only spent in the SRFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 surly joe

jkchambers wrote: »
    For maybe 10 years coarse/pike anglers have had to pay the permit to fish the Suck or Inny systems. When the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board were around they did seperate trout and coarse/pike permit income. They did consult the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs on the spending of the permit income. Since Inland Fisheries Ireland took over all the permit income goes into their general kitty as we were told by IFI at a meeting around 8/9 months ago.
    Trout Anglers could get some value for the permit as there are a few stocked trout lakes that they can fish along with some venues with wild brown trout. Since IFI took over I am not aware of any coarse/pike development work carried out on the waters involved. That said I suppose that IFI could say coarse/pike permit income was spent on non pay expenditure on protection.

Protection of cushy jobs.They do feck all for those rivers.Pike numbers are way down.Yes, they still produce good fish but they are shadows of their former selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jimmymcg

do they not? i take it you dont use the fishery boards slipway in balyforan? im sure u dont walk over any of there stiles, stands and bridges for the 80 miles of the suck (some of them are in poor condition i do admit)..

When i started fishing n the suck at hollygrove 25 years ago, i had to wade onto the island to fish through marshy areas..the fishery staff that u said do feck all made a bridge onto the island and a road in.. what about donanom ,stonehams lough, black lough , lough loung , the slipway are the ford of coreen?

I could go on..havnt fished the suck n 2 years to be honest, but when i did i regularly met the staff out checking the rules. so??

jimmymcg wrote: »
    do they not? i take it you dont use the fishery boards slipway in balyforan? im sure u dont walk over any of there stiles, stands and bridges for the 80 miles of the suck (some of them are in poor condition i do admit)..

When i started fishing n the suck at hollygrove 25 years ago, i had to wade onto the island to fish through marshy areas..the fishery staff that u said do feck all made a bridge onto the island and a road in.. what about donanom ,stonehams lough, black lough , lough loung , the slipway are the ford of coreen?

I could go on..havnt fished the suck n 2 years to be honest, but when i did i regularly met the staff out checking the rules. so??
    As far as I remember those improvements were paid for with the use of EU grant money and not anglers permit money.

Ah ya..i realise now this just a public sector bashing excercise.

Not at all. I recognise and appreciate all the protection and development work done by fisheries staff. The point I was making was that coarse/pike permit revenue was going into a general kitty where it could be spent on anything such as pike removal which would upset pike anglers. Any development of coarse angling facilities appears to be done when some sort of EU funding is available. Trout guys who pay the permit do appear to get value as they get to fish waters such as Sheelin, Owel etc which are stocked and much, much, better protected.

thats a valid point? Do the fisheries have much staff protecting the river i wonder? I only seen 2 guys ,although have not been there in a number of years.. I did read of a successful prosecution for netting on one of the forums in the balyforan/ballinasloe area 2 years ago.

thats a valid point? Do the fisheries have much staff protecting the river i wonder? I only seen 2 guys ,although have not been there in a number of years.. I did read of a successful prosecution for netting on one of the forums in the balyforan/ballinasloe area 2 years ago.
    I think that the case where IFI got word of poachers netting. They managed to block the poachers van as they were trying to leave. Nets and lots of dead pike and coarse fish were found. As far as I remember they were fined and nets etc confiscated by court order. Why wasnt the van also confiscated as it was clearly used in the commissioning of an offence the same as the nets ?

just googled it..they were fined around 3k, which is a fair sum, and a good job as far as i would be concerned..anyhow the public service bashing continues i see! you dont seem to think they did a good job catching them and convicting them so? there are some people who will never be on the side of Irish fisheries.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Another example of bashing get a grip every time someone speaks out about government employees they are accused of public sector bashing on here like all departments and walks of life some are good bad and pure useless .

• Advertisement

...did u ever hear of a FULL STOP??anyhow what is your point about fisheries people on the suck?

...did u ever hear of a FULL STOP??anyhow what is your point about fisheries people on the suck?
    Firstly you will find a full stop at end of sentence , I was merely pointing out that as of late ,if one gives out about public sector they are accused of bashing them . Not every one has a vendetta against ye remove the chip from your shoulder or shoulders.And in relation to the post the op in a previous post asked why the poachers van wasn't confiscated ,it should have been as is the law clearly states.Maybe an oversight on someone's behalf .

i dont know what the law states..but technically a gard can seize a vehicle for any traffic offence as evidence.. they dont however..i imagine the fishy guys have the same common sense..there are alot of 'anglers' who are extremests..and a few of them are on here i bet.

i dont know what the law states..but technically a gard can seize a vehicle for any traffic offence as evidence.. they dont however..i imagine the fishy guys have the same common sense..there are alot of 'anglers' who are extremests..and a few of them are on here i bet.
    Very true as in all walks of life extremists will and do exist but in the case of poachers and law breakers they should be punished to the letter of the law,and in the above case the van should have been taken from them and crushed or sold on as a deterrent to all who might be thinking about poaching.I have great respect for fishery staff and have seen them going out in all conditions and not knowing what or who they may apprehend,and sadly like most of the public sector remain under funded and under staffed ,unfortunately I can't see this changing any time soon but they have the support of vast majority of anglers , tight lines my friend I'm off to catch a salmon on currane I hope .

good man yourself! hoping to go west myself this year in search of the Bradan!enjoy.

Everything JK has said about errecting stands, slipways and brigdes is true, they were all grants from europe. That money is long gone, and a lot of these stands and stiles are dammaged and too dangerous to use. for 2012, IFI's fund for development was zero, so they couldn't afford to fix any of these issues. In some instances, dangerous stands were taken down rather than being fixed.
    there are some people who will never be on the side of Irish fisheries.

Well look at it from a coarse\pike anglers view, you pay 39 euro to fish the suck\Inny. That money goes towards a fund, some of which goes towards culling pike from the big trout lakes. None of that money currently goes towards coarse\pike fishing on the suck\inny.
    From a fly fisherman's point of view, 39 euro is amazing value, as you have 6 months fishing on lough Acalla, and that money goes towards stocking lough Acalla. But why should the coarse and pike angler that dont fish lough acalla, be asked to give money to restock it, while their coarse fishing facalities are very run down, and nothing is being done about it?

The old SRFB system was had 2 permits, one for game fishing, and one for coarse fishing. The money generated by both went into different funds, one for coarse and one for game. This was a much better system.

Im not always against IFI, but I believe the current permit system on the Suck and Inny is flawed, as do a lot of anglers, which is resulting in them selling a lot less permits that they potentially could. If there was a coarse\pike permit, which went into a transparent fund for coarse\pike fishing development, not only would it improve the coarse fishing facilities, but it would stop driving a wedge between coarse\pike anglers and IFI.

i see your point .. so are people buying permits?do u buy one? I did the last time I was down a few years ago..planning a trip to mullingar soon,so will need one for there no doubt.

I had one last year, it expired last aug. I do fish lough Acalla a bit, so I got it just to fish there. Most coarse/pike anglers dont have one, and are fully against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I had one last year, it expired last aug. I do fish lough Acalla a bit, so I got it just to fish there. Most coarse/pike anglers dont have one, and are fully against it.

I have had one for a good few years as I lived in Roscommon and fished Donamon quite a bit as as mentioned I was approached regularly. As a local hotelier I couldn't really be seen not to have one.

But this year I don't have one. Only time I was asked for one was on the Inny when I called the IFI about poachers in action.. Unfortunately when they arrived the poachers threw all the dead fish into the river and had none in their "possession" when they were approached.. despite several dead fish floating down the river the IFI officers said they couldn't do anything.

I wonder how far my argument would go if I was asked again..

I have refused to buy a permit from a trout club as I wasn't fishing their water for trout. I was fishing for roach and as most anglers know I fully promote catch and release.

bte I did try and buy one online before my last visit to the Inny, but the online shop was down and it's still down.

• Advertisement

ah..to be fair, they were being professional by not taking your word for it... if it went to court, the evidence(fish) were gone down the river! case thrown out then.

regarding the permit, id imagine you will be hit with a €90 fine and your gear seized..if you dont have one..my friend got one in castlerea a few summers ago. he disputed getting a permit with them.they told him to fight it with the judge lol!

for the sake of 40 euro-unless your from Cavan!you know what they say about those people(only joking).

Advertisement