Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy worms

• 23-12-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Auhgggg I am disgusted..
    TOday I gave jago, 3 months, the anti worms tablet.. the first tratment.
    THis evening I found the potty with long white worms....
    AAAHHHH it's disgusting!!!

Now, the vet before that told me that he needs to take the tablets once a month until 6 months old...

He is happy and fine.
    So I should wait 1 month even if I found the worms???
    I read that they can be transmitted, he was sleeping with me and playing and licking and so on... obviosuly I wash my hands but not every 5 minutes..

bleah :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

and another question.. he was supposed to go to visit friends with me for christmas.. they have a dog.. could be a problem for this dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jsabina wrote: »
    Auhgggg I am disgusted..
    TOday I gave jago, 3 months, the anti worms tablet.. the first tratment.
    THis evening I found the potty with long white worms....
    AAAHHHH it's disgusting!!!

Now, the vet before that told me that he needs to take the tablets once a month until 6 months old...

He is happy and fine.
    So I should wait 1 month even if I found the worms???
    I read that they can be transmitted, he was sleeping with me and playing and licking and so on... obviosuly I wash my hands but not every 5 minutes..

bleah :(

These worms will pass over the next few days. This tablet has killed them. You need to make sure to pick up wormy poo straight away and don't let other dog near it.

ok perfect yes I took the potty 2 minutes after and cleaned and everything..
    it could be there is more from the previous week in the backyard for during the day.... I will look better tomorrow with the light now I cannot see..

bbh sorry I am so disgusted because for me it's the first time :S

so he is feeling fine, it should not be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jsabina wrote: »
    ok perfect yes I took the potty 2 minutes after and cleaned and everything..
    it could be there is more from the previous week in the backyard for during the day.... I will look better tomorrow with the light now I cannot see..

bbh sorry I am so disgusted because for me it's the first time :S

so he is feeling fine, it should not be a problem?

No he should be grand. Sometimes I find the tablets can be a bit harsh for pups and give them the liquid wormer parazole. But tablets work perfect. Was the pup wormed before he came to u? Worms only pass once wormer has been given.

There's nothing to worry about. Your pup inherited these from his mother (as all pups do) and the worm medicine has killed the worms he has now. However more will develop and that is why the vet advised treatment at monthly intervals. This will kill the next generation before they become mature, and before they lay eggs themselves. As the pup gets older he will develop an immunity.
    In theory, these worms can infect young children also and and in very very rare cases can cause eye problems. Just avoid that kids play where there is doggy business. Now that your pup has been treated there is nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

thanks a lot for the answers..
    I have been reading online now and I am relaxing :P
    Never found the worms before so probably is not a strong infection.
    It's the first time he has been wormed.

Maybe a stupid question... but garlic perles / cod liver oil perles can be given to a puppy dog?

[QUOTE=
    Maybe a stupid question... but garlic perles / cod liver oil perles can be given to a puppy dog?[/QUOTE]

Why do you want to do that?

A pup on a commercial diet or a good mixed one should not need extra vitamins. People ascribe all sorts of things to garlic but if you want to remove worms, only rely on a proper treatment.
    Remember also, pups are very small, so they need puppy doses.

yeah, he is on good and expensive puppy food :P

I was wondering as I've seen in the pet shop a lot of vitamins and things like that.. and yes, people say that garlic is good for a lot of things

thanks!

Advertisement