Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax back

Options
  • 23-12-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Do you have to stay in Oz for 6 months before you are entitled to tax refund on income earned?. I was in Oz from March to August and I am having problems getting my tax back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much did you earn? How much tax did you pay?

You don't get your tax back btw. You get any tax you over paid back, after expenses etc are calculated.
    You probably didn't earn enough to have paid any excess. You would have been taxed as a non resident which is a 30% tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 minnie11

I earned in the region of 11,000 dollars and paid approximately 3,000 dollars tax. What do you think? I thought as a non resident you get a tax refund when you leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

minnie11 wrote: »
    I earned in the region of 11,000 dollars and paid approximately 3,000 dollars tax. What do you think? I thought as a non resident you get a tax refund when you leave the country.
    Use the tax calculator on the ato website. Being a resident for tax purposes is not the same as being a permanent resident but because you only worked for 6 months you may not be classed as a resident for tax purposes you may find that you won't get a refund and you may even find that you owe them money.

Advertisement