Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S3 Apps

• 23-12-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I bought an S3 yesterday and I know the battery isn't great but I am trying to improve it. Are there any apps I can close or do they need to be running full time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I bought an S3 yesterday and I know the battery isn't great but I am trying to improve it. Are there any apps I can close or do they need to be running full time?

Just close off the ones your not using in the applications manger, Turn off S-Beam and NFC too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

1. Go into wifi settings and make sure during sleep option is "never" or "when plugged in" (significant draw on battery otherwise)
    2. Turn off sync and mobile data toggles in drop menu when not in use (smaller but constant draw especially when signal is bad)
    3. Developer options and set animation and transition scale options to "off" or "x0.5"
    4. GPS toggle off unless in use. (Can be a very large draw . Gpsd service can be bugged and run away in the. background eating battery. Reboot to fix
    5. Screen is biggest draw . If you set max bright you pay the price. I set auto 40%

With all this I get 5-6 hours of screen time and a standby drain so good I havent been able to drain fully. I estimate it could go a week with voice only. With above not done its 4.5hrs screen and 16 to 20 hours standby . As for the power saving option they are negligible compared to the above. The screen time I quoted of 5-6 is with only disable haptic ticked in power saving options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Whats the point having these phones if you've got everything turned off?
    You need to get 16-18 hours out of your battery each day, depending on how much you sleep.
    The GS3 will easily get this even with everything turned on.
    Just charge your phone every night. If you can't do this for whatever reason pick up a spare battery for €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

G1032 wrote: »
    Whats the point having these phones if you've got everything turned off?
    You need to get 16-18 hours out of your battery each day, depending on how much you sleep.
    The GS3 will easily get this even with everything turned on.
    Just charge your phone every night. If you can't do this for whatever reason pick up a spare battery for €20
    Only turn stuff on when you need it eg. Turn on gps when your using Google navigation turn off when you arrive.
    Spare batteries can be got for 5 euro.
    Location services and Google now can be a big drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The biggest killer is the screen, set the brightness to as low as you can bear and only turn it up when you need to. Next to that is wireless, it's probing for new access points all the time, turn if off when you're out and about. Be careful what widgets you have on your screens, some update continuously and kill the battery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Only turn stuff on when you need it eg. Turn on gps when your using Google navigation turn off when you arrive.
    Spare batteries can be got for 5 euro.
    Location services and Google now can be a big drain.

GPS turns off when you close the application that's using it right?
    I don't see the need to turn it off so application can not activate it when they start up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

tuxy wrote: »

GPS turns off when you close the application that's using it right?
    I don't see the need to turn it off so application can not activate it when they start up.
    Right. I leave GPS on all the time. It's not a battery drain unless the app using it is on.

Advertisement