Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what s age for primary?

• 23-12-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,My son born at 12th Aug 2009,I want to him start school at Sep 2013,but when I go to my local primary school for regist his place,they said the policy was changed,only the kid born before 31 Jun can apply the term of 2013

my question is: Is this policy only for some schools or for whole country?is there any chance let my son start 2013?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Its up to the school to set the last date for a child to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

It depends on the school's enrollment policy, what the criteria is for accepting a child. A school would take children in using: Date of birth, address/children in catchment area, brothers and sisters in the school, parish children, parents of past pupils among other criteria.

Has your child completed the free pre-school year? As he is very young it would benefit him greatly if he has not already completed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It depends on the school's enrollment policy, what the criteria is for accepting a child. A school would take children in using: Date of birth, address/children in catchment area, brothers and sisters in the school, parish children, parents of past pupils among other criteria.

Has your child completed the free pre-school year? As he is very young it would benefit him greatly if he has not already completed it.

I would second that, starting school just after your 4th birthday is a tad young I think. Starting just after your 5th would be far more preferable.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Each school sets their own policy.

But if that is their policy they are unlikely to change and allow him to start. You may find another school close by that won't have this policy, and you will be able to start him there.

But if you want him to go to this particular school, you are going to have to wait until next year.

I have an August baby too, and he will be starting this year. Just turned 5.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a sweeping general rule, boys can be immature at that age, so I would suggest waiting until he is older.I have never met a parent who regretted waiting , but plenty who regretted sending their child too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭wenxue

Thanks for all of you reply

I got answers and will think about it his education.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When the schools re-open on Jan 7th, you could check other local schools and see what their policy is, if you feel he is really ready to go. He may well be academically ready but socially could do with more time. Going into a class of 30 with just one adult can be a major schock after pre-school.

At the end of the day, he is your child, you know him best and you will be a good judge of how set for school he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holmeste

it does depend on the school but a lot of schools have that policy and some even have a deadline sooner than the one you mentioned, in a lot of schools the deadline is end of April of the particular school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Can i add that while its your decision and you must obviously do what you feel is best for your son, i have an August boy as well and at 4 he was more than ready for school but we are now finding that doing his leaving cert at 16 and having to make decisions on his future is putting him under horrendous strain than his october brother was doing his at 17 and he's not able for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭cbee20

Please don't let your son start school so young. He will be at least a year younger than the oldest in the class and competing with the others to keep up with all aspects of school life and not just the academic side. As classes get larger, less time is being given to individual children. Every child has his /her individual needs and these are not met in the larger classes. A very young child starting in Junior Infants can be at an enormous disadvantage compared with an older child in coping with the rough and tumble of school life. The gap gets wider as he/she progresses through the school as they cannot always cope with the curriculum laid out for each class. Good luck with your decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement