Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA venues Nenagh and Clonmel

Options
  • 23-12-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I think Tipperary GAA should try to hold some senior Hurling and Football matches in Nenagh and Clonmel. True Semple Stadium is the second best venue in the country after Croke Park and Thurles is the home of the GAA but I think some of the home games should be held in McDonagh Park in Nenagh and the GAA grounds in Clonmel. I have friends in both Nenagh and Clonmel who missed GAA matches they really wanted to attend because they can't get to Thurles on a Sunday. I think a few years ago some senior matches were held in Nenagh correct me if i'm wrong. Wouldn't cost that much to upgrade McDonagh park either. Think it's only fair that everybody from every part of Tipp from Terryglass to Carrick on Suir gets the chance to go see our team playing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

chris2008x wrote: »
    I think Tipperary GAA should try to hold some senior Hurling and Football matches in Nenagh and Clonmel. True Semple Stadium is the second best venue in the country after Croke Park and Thurles is the home of the GAA but I think some of the home games should be held in McDonagh Park in Nenagh and the GAA grounds in Clonmel. I have friends in both Nenagh and Clonmel who missed GAA matches they really wanted to attend because they can't get to Thurles on a Sunday. I think a few years ago some senior matches were held in Nenagh correct me if i'm wrong. Wouldn't cost that much to upgrade McDonagh park either. Think it's only fair that everybody from every part of Tipp from Terryglass to Carrick on Suir gets the chance to go see our team playing.

I respect the sincerity of your view point, and you have backed it up with a post of substance.

However I feel Thurles is the place to develop a stadium mentality. Without this mentality Tipp minor footballers would have had great difficulty in winning the All Ireland. Tipp senior footballers must learn to make Semple their home and any manager worth his salt would insist on this.

Consider motorists in Ballyporeen and Borrisokane, fuel so expensive keep it central as best we can. For the most part we are served with very good roads.

With so many of our fans living in Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Tralee etc. it so easy to jump on a train for good day out watching our favourite sport. Bye the way I hope that many of our senior citizens find the travel pass useful in this respect. For students travelling from Clonmel or Cahir I suggest take Bus Eireann to Limerick junction for a rail connection, I hope student fares are reasonable.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

chris2008x wrote: »
    Xenophile wrote: »
    I respect the sincerity of your view point, and you have backed it up with a post of substance.

However I feel Thurles is the place to develop a stadium mentality. Without this mentality Tipp minor footballers would have had great difficulty in winning the All Ireland. Tipp senior footballers must learn to make Semple their home and any manager worth his salt would insist on this.

Consider motorists in Ballyporeen and Borrisokane, fuel so expensive keep it central as best we can. For the most part we are served with very good roads.

With so many of our fans living in Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Tralee etc. it so easy to jump on a train for good day out watching our favourite sport. Bye the way I hope that many of our senior citizens find the travel pass useful in this respect. For students travelling from Clonmel or Cahir I suggest take Bus Eireann to Limerick junction for a rail connection, I hope student fares are reasonable.

I can see both sides of the argument. Personally i love watching games in all 3 venues and would hope Clonmel or Nenagh get their fair share of games in the future as they deserve the bit of revenue it would bring.

However, Thurles is ideally located in terms of attending matches as it is very centralised. It is the birthplace of the games also.

I would consider having certain games in either Clonmel or Nenagh or perhaps hosting some under-age or Intermediate/junior championship games there where perhaps a loss making situation could arise should they host them in Thurles.

I mean we have to consider that the GAA in Tipperary is running at a huge deficit and a considerable amount of games are making a loss. Are we in a situation to host a game in Thurles where 200 people are watching Tipperary footballers and that's possible even during daylight.

I can remember watching Tipp play Donegal in Div 2 of the 2010 league in front of 300 people of a Saturday night in March. I personally think that Tipp footballers deserve support and i try give them as much as i can but i suppose in times where money is tight, those who do attend games will opt for hurling in the case of Tipperary.

Basically it comes down to the fact that the decision may be dictated by the current climate. It could be a case of having to be cost effective and pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Xenophile wrote: »
    . For students travelling from Clonmel or Cahir I suggest take Bus Eireann to Limerick junction for a rail connection, I hope student fares are reasonable.

I'd love that but Irish Rail don't run on a Sunday which is headwrecking when you're trying to get to Thurles.

Advertisement