Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick has improved

• 23-12-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭

Stayed in Limerick lately and have to say big improvement in the city centre. The pedestrianised st at bedford row through oconnell st is a great job. The milk market area for the markets looks lovely with the roof overhead. Some lovely coffee and treats to be got there. Ate at a restaurant called Chocolat on oconnell st. Great choice on the menu and fantastic food and great value. The goats cheese starter is fab. Only downside was paying 5 euro for a pint of heineken in a hotel bar.
    What do you all think folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

All great points but its a pity they are offset by a lot of closed/run down shops mainly around Patrick street!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

All great points but its a pity they are offset by a lot of closed/run down shops mainly around Patrick street!

Yes but parcel motel has opened ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

good to see someone praising our great city - thank you- there are great positives around the town as you have pointed out.
    i have been out over christmas and have to say its a great city - we have excellent restaurants and bars and yes there are some shops closed in patrick street but this will all be sorted in time-yes longer than anticipated I agree but all the same the market is excellent-great buzz, stalls, atmosphere.
    its nice to see some positives because all we seem to have on other posts is constant negatives.
    thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I've always enjoyed any visit to Limerick and I've never had a bad night out there. I don't think it deserves the reputation it has at all.

I'm from Cork and live in Dublin and have seen and been confronted with far worse sights there.

I guess the problem areas of Limerick are outside the city centre and often more gang related. I've never witnessed anything like the junkie street parties they have in Dublin or the aggressive begging they have in Cork.

Leaving that aside I think it's a nice compact city, it's good for shopping , the milk market is good and of course it's the home of Munster rugby. Parts of it are also quite picturesque- hopefully the media and others can cut ye some slack and stop constantly slating the place

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Stayed in Limerick lately and have to say big improvement in the city centre. The pedestrianised st at bedford row through oconnell st is a great job. The milk market area for the markets looks lovely with the roof overhead. Some lovely coffee and treats to be got there. Ate at a restaurant called Chocolat on oconnell st. Great choice on the menu and fantastic food and great value. The goats cheese starter is fab. Only downside was paying 5 euro for a pint of heineken in a hotel bar.
    What do you all think folks?

The city has improved so much in the last 10years- I know we all still criticise aspects but if you look at the Milk Market, Thomond Park,the pedestrianisation on various streets, improvements on the Quays there's alot that has been done.
    I'd love to see something done with the old Dunnes Building on Sarsfield St-it lets down alot of the good work.
    Even the bus station has been cleaned up.

I also wish there was some more bins, an improved bus service & maybe try to start some fleding financial services centre down by the river.Absolutely no reason why it can't be done & it would generate alot of spin off jobs for the local economy.It would be great to have the likes of Statestreet, Citi, Wells Fargo in the city.
    Northern Trust are already in Castletroy so it's not an impossibility.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

We need to stop using Munster rugby less to promote Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

bigpink wrote: »
    We need to stop using Munster rugby less to promote Limerick
    I'm confused by the above, you used a double negative.
    So you think we should use Munster Rugby more to promote Limerick?

Sorry

James

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ok i mean every thing and time we hear a positive news spin or advert for Limerick Munster rugby is always mentioned.If you said Munster Rugby to an American at a trade expo as a reason to come to Limerick doubt it would be interest them

However maybe let people into games free with foreighn passports here on holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

bigpink wrote: »
    Ok i mean every thing and time we hear a positive news spin or advert for Limerick Munster rugby is always mentioned.If you said Munster Rugby to an American at a trade expo as a reason to come to Limerick doubt it would be interest them

However maybe let people into games free with foreighn passports here on holidays?

Well, like it or not it's a major selling point for the city, if not the biggest. There are other plus points that we should push too, I agree.

Is Munster Rugby really used at trade expos in your experience?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Simple solution for anyone who thinks Munster Rugby is Limerick's only selling-point: stop believing everything the Leader, the Post and 95 FM tell you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Idahoalex

Hello from the high mountain deserts of the US! I have a daughter who will be attending the U of Limerick this semester and I'll be visiting myself in the spring, and you seem a knowledgeable and friendly crowd. So, I ask: What should my daughter stay away from? And what should I make it a point to see when I am there?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

Idahoalex wrote: »
    Hello from the high mountain deserts of the US! I have a daughter who will be attending the U of Limerick this semester and I'll be visiting myself in the spring, and you seem a knowledgeable and friendly crowd. So, I ask: What should my daughter stay away from? And what should I make it a point to see when I am there?

Your daughter will have the best experience of her life while she is over here! And be prepared for tears when she is leaving, and wishes to extend her study abroad!!! (*Source - I'm a UL Student & I LOVE it so much!!)

If you pop over to the UL section of the boards.ie site in the EDU drop down tab you will find more information about UL.

I'm not from Limerick myself, but I have been here now 3 years, and really enjoy it! I would advise her to get involved with Clubs & Societies during her time in UL and **Shameless Plug** The UL International Society https://www.facebook.com/ulinternationalsociety as we do a range of activities weekly; Book Club, Study Club, Sports Club, Music Club, International Come Dine with me Meals, a Radio Show, TGIF parties and both Day and Weekend trips around Ireland! Like I said, have a look at our facebook page! :D

Thank you PinkBottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Presuming Ed

The Bishop's Quay bit of the waterfront will be really nice when it's done in the summer too. About time the city made more of the riverside IMO.

Idahoalex, your daughter will have a great time and - don't worry - it's safe enough around UL. Enjoy your visit too.

Thank you. We're all looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

UL is a fabulous campus. I would guess the best in Ireland especially if you like green open spaces. Wonderful sporting facilities there. A wonderful place to go for a walk. You may even spot some fishermen on the river from the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Idahoalex wrote: »

Loads of nice videos of UL on youtube like this that might make you a bit more at ease!

thank you all for the tips and reassurance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

dave 27 wrote: »
    Loads of nice videos of UL on youtube like this that might make you a bit more at ease!

The castle at 1.22 where is that do you know?
    @Idahoalex: I think/hope your daughter will have a great time in UL. The campus and university is very nice and is very very different than a desert. I'm from Dublin here in Ireland and went to UL for three years, one of my favourite memory's is of just walking and cycling around the campus and surrounding area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I just moved to Limerick in September when I was starting first year in UL.
    I had never set foot in Limerick before (nor had I ever really wanted to) and knew absolutely no one.
    But I must say, I absolutely love it.
    I couldn't believe how different it was to the way it is painted by others, in the news etc.
    The city itself is clean and pleasant, everyone is more than friendly, and UL campus is just beautiful.
    I will admit that I'm not fond of the city centre during the day, but for an extra 5 minutes you can get to the crescent so it's not really a problem.
    I love the nightlife, and having been there for 4 months now have never encountered any problems, violence etc on a night out.
    It;s such a pity Limerick has the reputation it does.
    I wish more people knew what it was really like.
    Even still at home when I tell people I'm in college in Limerick they actually look disgusted, and say "Oh, do you like it so?" as if to say 'You poor thing, you're stuck in Limerick."
    Friends aren't much better, Limerick wouldn't have been a choice destination for anyone at my old school on the CAO.
    In fact, out of my whole town, there are 5 of us in first year, between UL, LIT and Mary I. And it's a fairly big town.
    It;s a pity, but I have nothing but praise for the place. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

You can see the difference in the Milk market area in the last 30 year from this picture Milk Market Now that has improved no end.

You can see the difference in the Milk market area in the last 30 year from this picture Milk Market Now that has improved no end.
    Any update on the upgrading of the quays?How's that going?Any photos?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sleepyman wrote: »
    Any update on the upgrading of the quays?How's that going?Any photos?

I was down that way the other day. Everythings dug up but not much to see. Doesn't look like they've started the boardwalk yet either.

I was down that way the other day. Everythings dug up but not much to see. Doesn't look like they've started the boardwalk yet either.

It was like that when I was home 5 weeks ago.
    They tend to take a while before they actually start laying pavements etc-maybe they have to move pipes or wires.
    It will look great when it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I was in Limerick city centre today and I can honestly say it was busy and did not resemble a ghost town at all...loads of people around. From reading some peoples posts I thought that when I'd get there it would have been just me and some tumbleweed floating around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I was in Limerick city centre today and I can honestly say it was busy and did not resemble a ghost town at all...loads of people around. From reading some peoples posts I thought that when I'd get there it would have been just me and some tumbleweed floating around!!

The last two weeks there's been a bit of life in the city. It's still nothing like it used to be though.

Also the Munster game yesterday was at half 4 in Thomond Park, so there would have been a lot of extra bodies around town before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Great place for live music.
    Dolans
    Nancy Blakes
    Bourkes
    etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

source wrote: »
    The last two weeks there's been a bit of life in the city. It's still nothing like it used to be though.

Also the Munster game yesterday was at half 4 in Thomond Park, so there would have been a lot of extra bodies around town before hand.

6.30 was kick off, and there was a relatively small crowd in Thomond for the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

vkid wrote: »

6.30 was kick off, and there was a relatively small crowd in Thomond for the game

Thought it was half 4? Even if the crowd was relatively small there was still a few thousand there, many off who would have been in town both before and after the match.

I went in for lunch yesterday and there were a lot of Munster scarves around the city. After the game I was in Tom Collins' and again a load off people from the game

• Advertisement
Advertisement