Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kingspan plaster slab ques

• 23-12-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Hoping to reslab the internal walls next year to better insulate the house. Is there any reason beside the extra cost using the kingspan slabs on the underside (bedroom side) of the ceiling. As I want to floor the attic and feel it would be alot more hassle to raise the joist height to allow enough space for fibreglass to be rolled out and covered with flooring without squashing it.
    Can anyone give me an idea if 50mm kingspan would equate to 300mm fibreglass
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Afaik kingspan has twice the insulation value as fibreglass quilt so 150mm kingspan equal to 300mm quilt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cubix wrote: »
    Hoping to reslab the internal walls next year to better insulate the house. Is there any reason beside the extra cost using the kingspan slabs on the underside (bedroom side) of the ceiling. As I want to floor the attic and feel it would be alot more hassle to raise the joist height to allow enough space for fibreglass to be rolled out and covered with flooring without squashing it.
    Can anyone give me an idea if 50mm kingspan would equate to 300mm fibreglass
    Thanks

80 and 50mm insulated slab.
    100mm Rockwool slab (great sound insulation) and then Knauf Carbon Zero 170mm placed over that.Or you could just spray foam the area.

Simples.:)

BILD0315.jpg

DSCF9204.jpg

DSCF9199.jpg

DSCF9198.jpg

DSCF9833.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

According to this http://www.sig.ie/imagePath/dynamic/image/IDL_Technical_Booklet_Low_Resolution.pdf

50mm of top class foam is about the same as 100mm of cheap glass wool. but:
    in the attic; glass wool will be easily compressed, damaged, and will have airflow losses through it, that all reduce the insulation effectiveness.
    So if the attic is done right, and floored, then 300mm is better, but it is much easier to get the ceiling done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

If your going to be flooring the attic for regular use then raising the height of the joists may be essential. In most houses built without living space in the attic the joists used would only be suitable to hold the ceiling and for light/infrequent use. If you plan on flooring the attic and using it as a living space the current joist will more than likely be insuffient anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads, purely for accessing stroage and getting the xmass tree down with out coming through the ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers IrelandSpurs
    Had searched for something like that but came up empty. Have you used them yourself, would be interested to see how sturdy they are. I presume when you put the board on top it takes the wobble out of them.
    Would you get away with 12 to a sheet of 8'x4'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

cubix wrote: »
    Cheers IrelandSpurs
    Had searched for something like that but came up empty. Have you used them yourself, would be interested to see how sturdy they are. I presume when you put the board on top it takes the wobble out of them.
    Would you get away with 12 to a sheet of 8'x4'

No not used myself but was looking at them,you would need fat screws 5x40,5x50 so would be sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

I got four planks wood out of b&q with 100mm thickness (in decking section) cut them in half and joined together with metal plates and screws, I joined them to joists with metal plates. I then put down 200 knuff insulation on top off current insulation and screwed down the loft planks out of b&q.

Big difference in my landing it is now retaining the heat, thermostat is now turning boiler off at 20 but as I type this my wrists are acking with the amount off screws I put down. This was for storage only and there will be no standing on these.

I just have to figure out now why the main bedroom and smallest room don't retain the heat.

You would not believe the difference in my house this year with extra insulation, expanding foam and chaulk.

Hope this helps.

Dmca

• Advertisement
Advertisement