Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 17: Christmas Dinner Leftovers

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas everybody!

This week we are looking for your recipes using Christmas Dinner Leftovers.

Take care & enjoy yourselves!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merry Christmas Hill Billy!
    I'll be having bubble & squeak on St. Stephen's Day. No recipe, just the leftover mash, roasties if there are any left, veg and bit of ham. I fry it all together in butter until it bubbles and squeaks and goes a bit crusty in parts. Serve with a dollop of brown sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Our daughter's friend is the canteen manager at her workplace.
    Leftovers from the dinner are put in a pot and heated thoroughly then blitzed to make a soup.
    And I mean everything goes in,turkey,ham,roast and mashed spuds,sprouts,carrots,parsnips...you name it ...it's in there...stuffing, pigs in blankets...the works.
    Daughter was a bit dubious but said it was delicious.
    So thats what we're having on the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For some reason, I seem to enjoy the Stephen's day reheated Christmas day dinner more. Mash, turkey, ham (both cold) whatever veg is left over, reheated and plenty of gravy - yumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Not a recipe as such, but I always really enjoy turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches, on nice batch or similar with real butter, much more than the actual dinner itself. Or, on Christmas Evening, the same except with just the leftover ham. Nom!!

In fact I wouldn't mind just having that for my dinner tomorrow.

Another thing that might be nice to make with the leftover turkey is a "chicken" (read Turkey!) and broccoli bake.

If I can remember it right, you need:
    Brocolli Spears
    Leftover Turkey
    Can of Campbells Chicken & Mushroom Soup
    Curry Powder or Curry Paste (about a tablespoon of paste, maybe tablespoon or little more if using the powder)
    2 teaspoons of mayo
    Optional topping - breadcrumbs, crushed crisps or grated cheese (or combo of all)

Parboil your brocolli and put into a casserole dish, and stick your turkey over it. Mix the soup, mayo and curry paste or powder, and pour on top. You can put breadcrumbs, crushed crisps or grated cheese on top (or all, if you feel like it!)

I can't remember how long to bake for, but I'd guess about 35 mins or so at about 180. Seeing as the turkey is already cooked!

Serve with leftover mash, some pasta or crusty bread

For some reason, I seem to enjoy the Stephen's day reheated Christmas day dinner more. Mash, turkey, ham (both cold) whatever veg is left over, reheated and plenty of gravy - yumm.

See I love this.
    Being only the two of us at home now we just love the cold meat leftovers with lashing of hot gravy on a Monday. Usually make enough gravy on the Sunday just for that purpose.
    Works just the same at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Im making Jamie olivers turkey and sweet leek pie on Stephens day with leftover stuffing and mershed pertayters!
    im looking forward to it actually!

Another thing the daughter has picked up along the way ...this time from the fiance.
    For sandwiches on Christmas night or whenever....wait for it....

Hot buttersd toast,cold turkey and coleslaw.

When I went ewww...she said don't knock it til you've tried it.

And she is one picky eater...under 30...and has served this to her friends who also loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Also be doing Jamie Oliver Turkey and Leek leftover pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

All leftovers chopped up very small,add beaten egg to bind, shape into balls with hands, and leave for an hour. then dip in plain flour, then in egg, and then in breadcrumbs, repeat last two steps.
    fry in hot oil 180c till crisp and golden, or in oven at 200c
    serve with homemade chips,salad and reheated gravy, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

Me too :D Thinks its because the madness has stopped and I just have my own to serve and not the extended family. Can't wait for dinner today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The day after Thanksgiving there's always a delicious turkey chili at my mother's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I make turkey and ham pie it's delicious but I need a way of using up stuffing any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Denise musashi I really enjoyed you video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Left over rissoles.

Put left over carrots/parsnips, potatos, ham, turkey and brussels into a blender. Blend. Through in some herbs, salt, pepper, flour. Add an egg if need be to bind it.

Shape into patties. Fry and serve with runny fried eggs. Food of the gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Any suggestions for left over yule log?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Any suggestions for left over yule log?

Crumble em up, roll em into balls, stick em up and make them into cake pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Since we had roast goose and panfried duck breast, we took the Asian route with the leftovers.
    Scrape the very last micro inch of the roast goose off it's bone, and thinly slice the duck breast.
    Take a soft tortilla, squirt some Hoi Sin sauce on it, with a bit of sliced spring onion and cucumber, throw the goose/duck meat and wrap it up.
    Yum-oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a friend on facebook suggested making cornish pasties out of your christmas dinner leftovers and it actually sounds like a really great idea, except we went to the inlaws for xmas dinner so we only got a bit of turkey & ham to bring home which went into some lovely triple decker sandwiches layered as follows:

fresh buttered wholegrain bread with mayo
    lettuce & red onion
    heated ham (left to cool slightly)
    fresh buttered wholegrain bread with nice thick gravy
    heated turkey & stuffing
    grated cheddar
    fresh buttered wholegrain bread with country relish

i think my wife actually went a little bit boss eyed when she bit into it. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bit late now but I made Turkey Noodle Soup with the last of the turkey. Very simple. Fry off some onion and celery, small bit of garlic, sprinkle of mixed herbs. About a pint and a half of chicken stock, bring to boil, throw in shredded left over turkey and let it simmer for at least 10 minutes (make sure meat is properly reheated, shredding helps) throw in some quick cook dried noodles (or fresh ones) leave for a few more minutes and Boom! Delicious broth like soup.

I'd assume nobody has any leftovers at this point but this also works brilliantly with chicken. Very quick and tasty and tastes even better the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Liking this!

A bit like Sparks Ramen recipe but I get to chop stuff up...

Be a change from George Foreman toasties! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had a turkey crown roast with my housemates just before Christmas.

I carved the remaining turkey and froze it in batches of about 75grams. One bag can be defrosted quickly and is just enough for a sambo.

I also used it in a turkey and ham pizza on New Year's Eve with some serrano ham.

Advertisement