Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access Question

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Tricky to describe this..prehaps i will start by describing what happens normally.
    Have a remote phone system (pbx). Normally I just use an ethernet cable and connect to the device via the configuration program.It uses a default address 169.xx.xx.xx.The config program is tied to my laptop.
    Now consider I want to remotely connect to the pbx as a remote device.On the remote site a laptop is connected to the device via ethernet.A 3g dongle is also provided for internet access.So on my side I set the config program to the wan ip of the remote 3g.What do I have to do on the remote laptop to route the 3g to the ethernet so I can communicate with the pbx .
    I can use remote access eg teamviewer to log in and configure the remote laptop but cannot install the config program.Hope thats understandable!
    Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

All you need to be able to do is to remote desktop to the remote laptop.
    This can be done by teamviewer or logmein as you have already described.
    When you are logged on to the remote laptop then open the configuration program to log on to the pabx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Xantia wrote: »
    All you need to be able to do is to remote desktop to the remote laptop.
    This can be done by teamviewer or logmein as you have already described.
    When you are logged on to the remote laptop then open the configuration program to log on to the pabx

Cant be that simple?..I reckon need port forwarding to channel the ip packets from 3g in/out to the lan port.
    e.g my config program request data at '3g ip' port xx ---somehow this need to directed to 169.xx.xx.xx (pbx) much as a router would do.
    looks like i have some reading to do.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457077.aspx

Well why is it not that simple?
    Have you tried it?
    Let me make sure I understand your setup.

Setups that I have used -
    Remote guy with 3G USB stick on Internet
    LAN Cable to equipment I want to connect to.

I ring him - he gives me the teamviewer login and password - then I am logged on and viewing the remote PC
    If there is no one there then I use logmein
    From the remote PC - I connect to the LAN equipment.

The Remote PC is 'answering' me on the 3G and I am viewing the screen - I can then open a browser or specific program to connect to the wired LAN

Xantia wrote: »
    Well why is it not that simple?
    Have you tried it?
    Let me make sure I understand your setup.

Setups that I have used -
    Remote guy with 3G USB stick on Internet
    LAN Cable to equipment I want to connect to.

I ring him - he gives me the teamviewer login and password - then I am logged on and viewing the remote PC
    If there is no one there then I use logmein
    From the remote PC - I connect to the LAN equipment.

The Remote PC is 'answering' me on the 3G and I am viewing the screen - I can then open a browser or specific program to connect to the wired LAN
    I get all that and if I could install the config program on the remote pc there would be no problem.I will set it up and report back but the more I've thought about it the more I am convinced I will need some type of port forwarding that directs my config programs requests to 3g ip out to the lan ip.

The remote pc does that for you

• Advertisement

Prehaps you are right..I will definately try set it up this week and let you know..thanks!

Let me know how you get on - I use it all the time both to guys on the road and to static setups.
    Never really any problems except if their coverage is poor

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you want to make phone calls from a phone remotely you will need to open a port and use a dynamic host name. You can also save the computer to your teamviewer account to view remotely.

Setup this up today and I did have use to use a third party port forwarding tool.
    I used autaPF ..simple to configure ..soon as I did that my laptop was able to read back the data over 3G.
    Thanks for the help lads..often its easier to try something than try to describe it!

Never heard of it!
    Anyhow at least you got your situation up and running
    Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement