Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from shared accommodation to a one-bed

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

hey,

i'm living in shared accomodation paying 500 a month with bills included.... i think its a good deal but obviously i dont feel like i can make it my own place as i live with the house owner....we get on fine but i feel like because he owns the place he thinks that he can leave dirty plates lying around for ages, not emptying the washing machine/dryer for two/threes days after use...i know he's not doing it to annoy me but it is a little annoying none the less....also when his girlfriend is over i dont feel like i can sit in the sitting room (three's a crowd n all that).

Soooo i'm pondering moving into a one bed, ones in the area are 800 per month which is a lot i think.... also with the bills etc i guess im talking 1000 month...
    has anyone made the move?..... is it worth the extra money spent?... would just be curious to know how you got on....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Can you afford it and still put money aside for what you want? Do you use it at weekends? Will you be there over Christmas? Is it awkward when having your friends around? if so then do.

If not then have a look at sharing with professionals where you will have a more equal say in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you need a one bed, or just a better house share, ideally with several people not including the landlord?

Living alone is expense, if you have to ask whether you can afford it, then probably you can't. Remember, many of the major bills (eggas, electricity) have daily charges, meaning that your bill as a single-occupant is well more than half what a two person household pays. Also, you will also be paying the full amount of incidental expenses (light bulbs, cleaning supplies) - these an add up too.

PS I'm not talking thru a hole, either: I lived with flatmates back home (overseas) for 10 years. When I bought a house, two of them moved into it with me, and we continued to "house share". After they moved 'cos they were moving to jobs in other cities, I started some major renovations, so chose to live alone for about 5 years. Then I went travelling and spent 3 months in youth-hostels ... the very opposite to living alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi OP,

i did it approx 14 months ago and was paying roughly the same as you in shared accommodation, there was 4 in the house, LL lived nearby and i must say he was an absolute gent, a very rare LL indeed, fixed everything when needed, never bothered anyone. In fact one of the guys in the house was put on part time hours for a while and we wanted to order 1000 ltrs of heating oil but this guy just didn't have the money. The LL covered his share and allowed him to pay him back over a period of months.

But like you it became an irritant with the washing machine, tumble dryer, cooker etc, people not cleaning up after themselves etc etc, not that I'm exactly a model of domesticity myself.

But i found a place for 750 per month and took it. Yes it's expensive but I've opted for it and there are times i wish i wasn't paying so much rent but having your own space to do as you please is worth it for me.

What you might do is check out the house share with maybe just one other and see how that goes.

the bills, especially in winter are pricey, spring/summer not too bad. i live close to where i work so don't incur big fuel bills for the car.

i'd have to say overall i wouldn't contemplate going back to a house share now, but if your saving for something in particular then sharing makes sense.

good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi OP,

i did it approx 14 months ago and was paying roughly the same as you in shared accommodation, there was 4 in the house, LL lived nearby and i must say he was an absolute gent, a very rare LL indeed, fixed everything when needed, never bothered anyone. In fact one of the guys in the house was put on part time hours for a while and we wanted to order 1000 ltrs of heating oil but this guy just didn't have the money. The LL covered his share and allowed him to pay him back over a period of months.

But like you it became an irritant with the washing machine, tumble dryer, cooker etc, people not cleaning up after themselves etc etc, not that I'm exactly a model of domesticity myself.

But i found a place for 750 per month and took it. Yes it's expensive but I've opted for it and there are times i wish i wasn't paying so much rent but having your own space to do as you please is worth it for me.

What you might do is check out the house share with maybe just one other and see how that goes.

the bills, especially in winter are pricey, spring/summer not too bad. i live close to where i work so don't incur big fuel bills for the car.

i'd have to say overall i wouldn't contemplate going back to a house share now, but if your saving for something in particular then sharing makes sense.

good luck with your decision.

thanks.... problem is there is only the two of us there :) ... i get the feeling that i'm just a lodger not a house mate as because he owns it he can leave stuff lying around for ages, make as much noise as he wants in the evenings/mornings, leave dirty delf lying around for days on end and then sticjk them into the dishwasher once a week... maybe i'm overly picky and need to get somewhere on my own but all these small things seem to get under my skin more and more...
    i am trying to save for a house myself so thats why i thought sharing would be good..... i guess owner occupiers might not be the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where are you living now, and what would your max rent be? €500 will not get you much by yourself, apart from "studio apartments".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You might think you can get the ESB bill down realy low but you can't :(

There are so many fixed charges you may as well be liberal with the heating and immersion as you won't get it much lower by being stingy with it

They charge you even if you don't use power!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

the_syco wrote: »
    Where are you living now, and what would your max rent be? €500 will not get you much by yourself, apart from "studio apartments".

living in tallaght... yeah i know, not a hope of getting anywhere for 500 on your own.... although they've built so many apartments around here that you'd think rents would be cheaper! ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not much of a difference between one beds and two beds.

You may find a 2 bed will work out just as well for you.

I know it's pricy renting on your own but just something to think about it

Can stick gym equipment in the 2nd room if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

boardie100 wrote: »
    living in tallaght... yeah i know, not a hope of getting anywhere for 500 on your own.... although they've built so many apartments around here that you'd think rents would be cheaper! ...
    The apartments still have to be paid for, so rents may not drop as low as people hope.

=-=

How about Santry (D9)? http://www.daft.ie/21293031 for €360 but it's not clear if it's €360 per bedroom, or not.

Or Clonee (D15)? http://www.daft.ie/21288706 is €650, but it looks like you'd need a car to access it; not sure if buses go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Princess_Bleuh

I'm in the same boat. I felt a bit uneasy, as you put it, like a lodger rather than a housemate. Now that an issue has arisen it's given me a push to just take the plunge and get my own place.

I'm going to get a bedsit. There are some that are kitted out quite well, and I've been checking out IKEA and the likes for solutions to divide spaces etc. One of my faves :http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40047675/

Here's some examples of what I've found in the last few days,

550 : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1280913

400 : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1294031

350 : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1287329

They're nothing amazing, but for the sake of peace, that's fine by me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement