Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network unavailable

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Apologies in incorrect forum, please move if necessary.

Having issue with an Advent Netbook,Win XP SP3, since this morning when it stopped seeing my wireless network.
    Message in wireless icon in system tray says Wireless network unavailable.

Has worked without issue for 3 years or so. Windows update ran this morning then wireless stopped working.
    Windows Zero Config service is running and Wireless Networks tab available on the wireless connection properties.

Reinstalled Windows but still the same, Any ideas???
    (other devices see and connect fine)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Apologies in incorrect forum, please move if necessary.

Having issue with an Advent Netbook,Win XP SP3, since this morning when it stopped seeing my wireless network.
    Message in wireless icon in system tray says Wireless network unavailable.

Has worked without issue for 3 years or so. Windows update ran this morning then wireless stopped working.
    Windows Zero Config service is running and Wireless Networks tab available on the wireless connection properties.

Reinstalled Windows but still the same, Any ideas???
    (other devices see and connect fine)

Might be an obvious one but is there a switch for the wireless at the side of the computer? Maybe you need to press Fn + another button to activate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Might be an obvious one but is there a switch for the wireless at the side of the computer? Maybe you need to press Fn + another button to activate it?

Haha tried that 1st :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Haha tried that 1st :-)
    Sounds like a hiccup with the update & wireless driver is corrupt, reinstall the drivers for the wireless card & you may solve your problem

Lelantos wrote: »
    Sounds like a hiccup with the update & wireless driver is corrupt, reinstall the drivers for the wireless card & you may solve your problem

Tried a full XP reinstall but still having same problem.

Tried a full XP reinstall but still having same problem.

Japers, netbook just went into hibernation and when it came back on it suddenly detected the network!

• Advertisement

Balls, just happened again!

Anyone have ideas on how to permantly fix this. .. or is it goosed...???

Japers, netbook just went into hibernation and when it came back on it suddenly detected the network!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try putting into hibernation and then bringing it out again.

Maybe the wireless card is on the blink.

FSL wrote: »
    Try putting into hibernation and then bringing it out again.

Maybe the wireless card is on the blink.

A couple of hibernations and it came back to life!

Pai in the ballacks if it is the card ... ordered a cheapo wifi adapter just in case

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A couple of hibernations and it came back to life!

Pai in the ballacks if it is the card ... ordered a cheapo wifi adapter just in case

You could probably replace it cheap enough if you know how to open laptops up (or should I say have done it before :) ). Out of interest did you downgrade "unofficially" to XP? Reason i'm asking is the driver you are using may be dodgy, I know how much a pita it is Advent don't have a proper driver page.. Try identifying the wireless adaptor in it and try other drivers for that model. Rare for a wifi card to go funny but like anything can happen..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

wireless routers can sometimes stall....... have you tried to restart the router?

• Advertisement

@yoyo ... came with XP installed. Have it around 4 years or so

@Freddy Smelly ... router is grand, I have other devices connected to it with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

i've had to replace two wifi cards over the years in a dell vostro - intel pro wireless can't remember what model - was able to pick up one on ebay for 5 - 10 euro -maybe check the model of your card and see do many people have problems with it online
    mine would always begin as an intermittent problem . first time it drove me crazy with drivers,reinstall etc - second time i just went and bought a replacement card and problem was fixed straight away . was easy to replace on the vostro as all it took was opening a flap underneath and swapping out the card .

if you already got an adaptor how bad but it might be worth checking how much a replacement costs ......

hope this helps some - good luck

Advertisement