Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring around the Moon 23/12/12

Options
  • 23-12-2012 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I see here in Dublin that there is a ring (of thin cloud) forming a circle of white around the moon. What causes this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Very high, thin cloud. You can see it on the sun sometimes as well.

Oddly enough... "In folklore, moon rings are said to warn of approaching storms.". A christmas storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

10-10-20 wrote: »

Oddly enough... "In folklore, moon rings are said to warn of approaching storms.". A christmas storm?
    yea just been out to beer garden and noticed this 'ring' around the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Usually caused by reflection off ice crystals in the upper athmosphere. On a side not theres a front close to the West coast now with heavy showers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Usually caused by reflection off ice crystals in the upper athmosphere. On a side not theres a front close to the West coast now with heavy showers in it.
    snow????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

100 per cent no....i wish!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I saw it tonight. Tried to take photos but my phone is crap. It was much, much bigger and more impressive than the usual ring around the moon. Usually it's very close to the moon but this was miles wide. I was expecting a fleet of alien starships to suddenly start emerging from it or perhaps a super demon to start climbing out out of it. Good thing it didn't appear on Friday night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭donegal_man

10-10-20 wrote: »

Haven't heard that for a while. My grandad used to say that a far off (wide) ring meant a nearby storm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Maudi wrote: »
    snow????
    Damn and double damn you for even thinking that!

Shudders....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Noticed this myself earlier, very unusual looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

saw one a couple of weeks ago in arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Haven't heard that for a while. My grandad used to say that a far off (wide) ring meant a nearby storm

I saw a wide ring tonite around the moon and I do believe there is a storm brewing now. I am in Galway West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there is a fine halo round the moon, i guess we are in for a drenching, when is this storm due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

goat2 wrote: »
    there is a fine halo round the moon, i guess we are in for a drenching, when is this storm due

Friday ...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

goat2 wrote: »

I can tell ya waiting for a taxi last night there was plenty people drenched! No more rain please :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

"The nearer the ring the nearer the rain"

Advertisement