Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair fried after dying

• 23-12-2012 11:59pm

Does anyone else have this issue? I've only dyed my hair with chemical dye a handful of times, but every time I do it, my hair looks broken and fried afterwards.

This used to when I got highlights at the hairdresser - I thought the permanent dye might have been too harsh but I just tried a semi-permanent home dye (L'oreal Casting Creme Gloss) and it's the same. I didn't leave it on too long or anything. Does this happen to everyone or is it just me? My hair is very fine and straight.

Comments

Does anyone else have this issue? I've only dyed my hair with chemical dye a handful of times, but every time I do it, my hair looks broken and fried afterwards.

This used to when I got highlights at the hairdresser - I thought the permanent dye might have been too harsh but I just tried a semi-permanent home dye (L'oreal Casting Creme Gloss) and it's the same. I didn't leave it on too long or anything. Does this happen to everyone or is it just me? My hair is very fine and straight.

Any dye where you mix the contents of one bottle with another bottle or tube, isn't really a semi, according to my hairdresser. The five to six weeks they recommend between applications are because of fading/growing, not really washing out, which is why they only recommend you use a colour close to your own.

I think very fine hair is probably more fragile than thick, strong hair and will be more prone to damage. I'd stick to wash out dyes (level 1) and see how that works out. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

When I rinse my hair after putting in colour it always feels like straw and like it might snap.

It's really important to condition the hell out of your hair before dying, even a couple of treatments before you dye it will go some way to protecting it.

Dye works by opening your hair follicle and forcing the colour through it-I find the greasier my hair is (day old or older) the better, it might be an old wives tale but natural oils will protect your hair too.

The conditioners provided with home colours are actually really decent-I'd often leave it for 10 minutes and use it again the next time I wash. Most say to use weekly to protect your colour but I would use it twice a week.

Also, the first time you style after colouring, use something smoothing-the Argan oil from Penneys is good for a cheap option. It will keep your hair moisturised.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice. Wash out dyes aren't really an option because I need to cover grey. I've used henna a few times but it's really messy and weighs my hair down. I've been using argan oil and deep conditioning but there's still quite a bit of damage. I'll try to wait as long as possible before I redye it and condition it loads beforehand!

Advertisement