Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry David Thoreau - Walden

Options
  • 24-12-2012 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Where would I get a copy - ideally cheap and second - of this classic in Dublin. The more dogeared and and well loved the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Maybe buy one second hand off Amazon? I really want to read that book at some point too, currently reading Gone with the wind! :)

I was lucky enough to find an old edition, from the early 1930s, in a charity store, which I picked up for a euro or two. It's a hard-back edition, in great condition considering its age, and has been well thumbed by many people over the last 80 or so years. If you're reading Walden for the first time I would recommend an edition that has a few annotations. There are often references and allusions to classical Greek and Roman literature and mythology, Hindu philosophies — this seems to be a favourite of Thoreau's — and the Bible, among many other works, that will likely be lost on the vast majority of readers. Such allusions are not particularly frequent, but they can be important in grounding one's understanding of what Thoreau is saying by providing relevant context. Alternatively, you could always just use Google, I suppose! Check Amazon, as danslevent suggests, as old gems can often be found, but you will pay a substantial amount for one. If you're in no rush, frequently check old book stores, second hand book shops and charity shops, in whatever town or city you happen to be passing through, and you may just get lucky.

Advertisement