Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do companies in Ireland do drug tests?

• 24-12-2012 2:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you know for their staff?

just out of curiosity, totally not for me :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes been drug tested for four different jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Woah man, skerries

Stheno wrote: »

Maybe thats just because you look high? :)

Yes, drug tests are common enough, especially with the multi-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

Never heard of it happening here, think it's a lot more common in the US.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Candie wrote: »
    Maybe thats just because you look high? :)

Yes, drug tests are common enough, especially with the multi-nationals.

Standard practice as part of a pre-employment medical for global tech and financial services firms in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Never had a drug test however never had a concern about having one.

were they "surprise" checks or did you have any notice?

Standard practice as part of a pre-employment medical for global tech and financial services firms in my experience

I didn't really think it was just because you look high :p

Drug checks and Garda checks are very common now. I know someone in HR and its surprising frequent for an applicant to change their mind about a job if they're asked for permission to run a Garda check on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Irish rail have ongoing drug tests afaik

were they "surprise" checks or did you have any notice?

Just told I had to have a medical, a urine sample was requested as part of it.

Several people failed in my intacke
    Candie wrote: »
    I didn't really think it was just because you look high :p

Drug checks and Garda checks are very common now. I know someone in HR and its surprising frequent for an applicant to change their mind about a job if they're asked for permission to run a Garda check on them.

I'd a full background check for one job where they delayed as they couldn't confirm I'd done a course.
    I found another job.

They were seriously anal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

American companies in Ireland are fond of these!
    Had to do a drug test when I got a factory floor job after my leaving cert

And the Yanks have some ridiculous security checks.
    Give us your first and last payslips from some ****ty job you had 4 years ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

friend had to get it done recently. they gave him 2 days notice on a medical exam. while there he found out it included a drug test. hes clean though.

what actually happens if you fail though? I imagine they could only fire you if it was in your contract explicitly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I've had two jobs here in NZ, for both I was drug tested. It's a common thing here as it seems that 80% of the population smokes weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What drugs do they check for in drug tests? Do they check for marijuana and mdma? :L

What drugs do they check for in drug tests? Do they check for marijuana and mdma? :L
    fairly sure those are standard, others like LSD are much harder to detect. Then again I'd imagine most companies will only take urine samples, most drugs stay in your hair and fingernails a lot longer (3 months depending)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A regular drug screen done on-site, by a nurse or other trained paramedic, typically tests for metabolites of:
    • delta9-THC (cannabis, cannaboids)
    • benzodiazepines (tranquillisers, sleepers, anti-anxiety pills, etc like Xanax, Librium, lorazepam, diazepam)
    • opiates / opioids (heroin, morphine, 6-am, codeine, etc)
    • alcohol
    • cocaine
    • speed
    • MDMA

fairly sure those are standard, others like LSD are much harder to detect. Then again I'd imagine most companies will only take urine samples, most drugs stay in your hair and fingernails a lot longer (3 months depending)

How long does it stay in your pee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Haha your fcuked

How long does it stay in your pee?
    Which "it" do you mean?

Delta-9 THC may be detectable for up to 5 weeks after stopping use for a heavy user, LSD 8/10 hours, cocaine 4 days, methadone 7 days, alcohol about 10 hours, certain benzos 6 weeks, etc

mathepac wrote: »
    Which "it" do you mean?

Delta-9 THC may be detectable for up to 5 weeks after stopping use for a heavy user, LSD 8/10 hours, cocaine 4 days, methadone 7 days, alcohol about 10 hours, certain benzos 6 weeks, etc

Jesus. Hope I'm never tested :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

That has to be a violation of the ECHR. I can't believe that companies do that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Some of my friends work for a US owned company in cork, get randomly tested for drugs and alcohol on an ongoing basis. Apparently a few names are picked at random each week and you are summoned to the nurse when you arrive at work in the morning, no notice.
    I got a letter from my employer (Irish) this week to say random testing is starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

I was also tested when I started to work here in cork, honestly I think it goes to far and I was not really happy about it.

I don't know how accurate these test are and I don't really believe that big companies would not hire somebody with good qualification who did impress on the interview, because he might have a little THC in his urin, but who knows....

I passed, of course :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I dont think its very mainstream here yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

so if you want to get off your tits, stick to research chems and youre alright ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I wouldnt want to work for a company that made me do a drug test.

What's the problem with the drug test?
    If you're taking illegal drugs and then working for that company they have a right to know.
    Drugs such as alcohol and cannabis fair enough but I wouldn't want to be working beside people coming into work after taking a load of xanax or snorting a few lines.
    Few enough jobs going without getting on your high horse over a drugs test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Everything, I work for a large multinational and the drug test was done as part of the physical exam. They only drug test after that if they suspect you're taking drugs of some sort.

Over the years, I have seen a few people loose there jobs because of this. Particularly during the boom years when everyone seemed to be doing coke for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I failed one, due to opiates!
    Once i explained it was because I had taken a nurofen + it was fine :)

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    I failed one, due to opiates!
    Once i explained it was because I had taken a nurofen + it was fine :)

That can easily happen, particularly if you've taken solpadeine. I've also heard you can fail for opiates if you've eaten too many poppy seed bagels. I doubt that's true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its a standard part of your medical in the tech and science industry and most companies claim they can random drug test anyone at anytime but I have never heard of anyone being random drug tested once they are in the job, its mostly a pre-employment practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭davetherave

Not a company, but there is compulsory random drug testing in the defence forces. They will just show up in the morning and say right everybody with a surname from c-j or m - t that is present needs to show up for testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

luckily ive never had to have one and with the area i work in i dont think i ever will but im glad they do them for certain jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Uncle Frank

Never heard of anyone in any of the companies I've worked for getting a drugs test. If it happened in some the places the work force would have been halved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That can easily happen, particularly if you've taken solpadeine. I've also heard you can fail for opiates if you've eaten too many poppy seed bagels. I doubt that's true though.
    It is true actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Spunge wrote: »
    so if you want to get off your tits, stick to research chems and youre alright ?

Not really. The initial dip tests are broad spectrum so if you take something that's similar to ecstasy for example it will show up on test as ecstasy. When your test is then sent to the lab the tests will be more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    It is true actually.

Yes I know of someone who failed for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what do they do with the knowledge that you're a user? how can they fire you? not a drug user but genuinely interested. unless stated on your contract?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what do they do with the knowledge that you're a user? how can they fire you? not a drug user but genuinely interested. unless stated on your contract?

They fire you, because it's in the company policy that if you're under the influence or have been, well it is in my company's policy.

If they suspect you are a user, e.g you're calling in late all the time, your work is suffering etc.. I have seen people fired for using over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Depends on the company, a lot of big companys will offer treatment especially if they have any type of EPA programme. If the person does not comply with treatment then the company have the perfect reason to get rid of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

I had a drug test before being hired for my job. Working in aircraft maintenance I reckon it's a good thing. I wouldn't like to fly on a plane fixed by a drug user

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I worked for a corporate once and they had a medical which included a urine sample.

I didn't like the job and looking back they were taking the piss right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Rothmans wrote: »
    That has to be a violation of the ECHR. I can't believe that companies do that!!

Jesus Christ. It's isn't your human right to be able to abuse drugs and force someone to employ you FFS! If you want to use drugs, don't apply for the job. Or else stop using drugs.

If you're taking illegal drugs and then working for that company they have a right to know.
    Drugs such as alcohol and cannabis fair enough but I wouldn't want to be working beside people coming into work after taking a load of xanax or snorting a few lines.

so if someone does drugs every once in a while recreationally they get stung but someone is a full blown alcoholic nothing happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

????

I think showing up to work high/drunk/whatever is absolutely unacceptable, but the thing is with the test for cannabis, for example, traces of the drug can be found loooooooooooooong after their effects wear off. Now, I'm not really a cannabis enthusiast myself, but that doesn't really seem very fair to me at all. You can fail one of this tests, yet be in an absolutely perfect state to work. If it's not affecting your work, what is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They were seriously anal.

Quite an unorthodox method of drug testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

????

I think showing up to work high/drunk/whatever is absolutely unacceptable, but the thing is with the test for cannabis, for example, traces of the drug can be found loooooooooooooong after their effects wear off. Now, I'm not really a cannabis enthusiast myself, but that doesn't really seem very fair to me at all. You can fail one of this tests, yet be in an absolutely perfect state to work. If it's not affecting your work, what is the problem?

Why take a risk on someone though if you don't need to? Maybe they don't want a recreational cannabis user, or one that's used it all. Or maybe they'll just disregard cannabis entirely and look for heavier stuff. Their choice as a company really.

Spunge wrote: »
    so if someone does drugs every once in a while recreationally they get stung ...
    Illegal drug user = law breaker = organised crime supporter.

An alcoholic (or other chemically dependent person) will almost certainly be found out eventually, such is the nature of the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

You sound like a barrel of laughs.

An alcoholic (or other chemically dependent person) will almost certainly be found out eventually, such is the nature of the condition.

grow your own cannabis, smoke cannabis legally in holland, benzos are prescription, speed can be obtained via prescription, you can buy codeine in a store.

all of which would make you fail the test.

but you still have the hypocrisy of allowing people who abuse one substance but allow people who only use other substances recreationally

• Advertisement
Advertisement