Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sealing concrete roof on garden shed

• 24-12-2012 10:11am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i've just bought a house which is approx. 60 years old, and there's a shed (contemporary to the house, i'd be fairly certain) out the back i was hoping to store firewood in.
    problem is, it's a concrete roof, and when it rains, the water slowly leaches through to the shed below. what's the best way of sealing this? is the concrete too porous to seal without wrapping the roof in felt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

i've just bought a house which is approx. 60 years old, and there's a shed (contemporary to the house, i'd be fairly certain) out the back i was hoping to store firewood in.
    problem is, it's a concrete roof, and when it rains, the water slowly leaches through to the shed below. what's the best way of sealing this? is the concrete too porous to seal without wrapping the roof in felt?
    A roll of torch on felt - €40. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Dont forget to apply a Bitumastic Primer before you put the felt on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi. There is a product on the market called Butyl rubber. Its a rubber film and is glued around perimeter of roof, some road chippings and job is done. Ihave a roof done over 20 yrs still perfect. Price I don't know. Google butyl rubber
    NW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A 10 litre drum of Rito Waterstop.

Around 60 euro for it...instantly waterproofs any material and is ideal for outdoor use too

Used for below ground on foundations and also for tanking bathrooms,basements and concrete roofs.

Woodies sell it,but you will get it alot cheaper in a builders providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Odelay

Are you sure it isn't condensation?
    No matter how water tight the roof is, warm air meets cold surface it will happen. It shows as many beads of water on the ceiling. Not to be under estimated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had considered that, but there's no real source of moisture in the shed; and it's not insulated in any way, either, so would generally be at ambient temperature.
    i don't intend to insulate it, and certainly have no intentions of making it more airtight, given that the ultimate aim would be to partially season wood in it over the spring/summer/autumn...

Advertisement