Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for ENS 186 (direct Entry)

Options
  • 24-12-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

Im currently working away in OZ on a 457 since may 2012. Ive decided that im going to apply for PR (ENS 186 via direct entry) as I want to have a bit more flexibility and not have my visa tied to work.I am going to go the direct entry stream as I wont have 2 years on the 457 till 2014 and i would like to get this done next year.

I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate advice/ answers etc. Have checked across boards.ie and Immi.gov.au but some stuff im not clear on, the rest is not addressed. Some may be obvious or stupid (or both!) but I dont want to make any mistakes once I start applying;)

1) Does your employer need to nominate you even if you are applying for the Direct Entry Scheme?

2)Once you have obtained a skills assessment can you apply for a visa directly or do you need to lodge an EOI on skill select and wait for an invitation to apply

3) Would it be better to apply for as an occupation as a manager rather than just a professional (my job title is currently as coordinator but i do manage a team of 4)

4)I have heard that if you get PR then if you ever decide to leave OZ you cannot take your superannuation with you- is this true?

5) Is it possible to DIY or do people recommend that you use a migration agent? its about $4000 without an agent from what I have read

5) Once you have the visa are you entitled to come and go as you please from oz - ie get visa work for 2 years then return to Ireland for 1 year before coming back to OZ?

6) Also if your visa is approved are you tied to your work like on a 457 where if you lose your job you get 28 days grace to get a new job?

7) The Immi booklet says that once you apply you are automatically transferred to a Bridging Visa A. Does this mean I lose my 457? What happens if for some reason I get refused, do I no longer have a 457?

8) How long is the process in peoples experience -they 6 months at Immi but others here have said 4-9 months.

9) Besides more security in the country what other benefits does this bring in terms of access to medicare, schooling etc?

Thanks for any help, lots of questions just trying to be thorough so I dont make any mistakes.

Happy Christmas,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Ok so will try answer some of the questions!

1. Yes your employer still has to nominate you- theres two parts, the employers nomination and your application. You can submit both of these at the same time or individually

2. When you have your skills assessment, you can apply directly

3. Id presume apply as a manager?

4. I think you can get your superannuation back, but you have to pay a higher rate of tax on it. Not fully sure on the ins and outs of that one.

5. Its easy enough to DIY- the only major difference with using the migration agent is that you will get the visa quicker. Theres a really good checklist that the Dept supply so you know exactly what you have to subit.

6. So if you lose your job, you can get another one, you are not under any time constraints. Theres no conditions on the visa

7. Not sure on that one either, Im presuming you will stay on the 457?

8. Nobody knows at this point. Before the changes in July, it took an average of 3 months and generally people got them alot quicker. I sent in my application in August and Im still waiting with no end in sight :(. My application summery says it takes between 5-7 months. The website says 6 so your guess is as good as mine!

9. You can get a Medicare card. I dont think you have to pay school fees either when you are a PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Hi Statina, thanks so much for coming back to me on this. Its really cleared up a lot for me. Did you DIY or go through a migration agent?

Just so im clear though from your (or anyones) experience what I need to do is:

Get work to agree to sponsor my PR as direct entry
    Apply for my skills assessment
    Once I have this submit this togetehr with Employer nomination and my own application
    Wait with fingers crossed for 6-9 months!

Ill try to get work to go through an agent like with 457 but if not ill just DIY myslef which costs about $4000 from what I have been reading.

Once I have it im free to leave the country and it only matters that im here 3 years out of the 5 for citizenship.

Also does anyone know more about the Superannuation and this being housed in Australia once you become a PR?

Thanks for all the help, now to begin convincing the bosses!

Advertisement