Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bondi Jersey Mass???

Options
  • 24-12-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

As above the famous mass for all the Irish people in their county colours.

Any ideas what church and what time??
    Thanks

Iirc it's St Patrick's but not sure of the time.Got my jersey shipped over an all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

!Nicky! wrote: »
    As above the famous mass for all the Irish people in their county colours.

Any ideas what church and what time??
    Thanks

Iirc it's St Patrick's but not sure of the time.Got my jersey shipped over an all.

You serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

3psumq.jpg
    Must watch some Father Ted later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Seriously? Next theyll be having a Barry's & Tayto brunch

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Essien wrote: »
    Seriously? Next theyll be having a Barry's & Tayto brunch

Tayto for communion, tea in the holy water at the entrance perhaps?
    Is it county jerseys only ya think or are club jerseys allowed? Hate to turn up looking a complete twat....;)

Edit: oh hang on by turning up at all in any jersey pretty much guarantees that I fear...

Does the xmas service mean you get to sit on the priests lap, like with santy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

They sang the Fields of Athenry at it apparently. Or some mass in Bondi anyway. It was on The Journal.

token101 wrote: »
    They sang the Fields of Athenry at it apparently. Or some mass in Bondi anyway. It was on The Journal.
    Must be one of the new changes to church services along with the county jerseys. Chips with communion next!

Edit to add someone has already suggested crisps with communion, maybe fianna fail could do a church gate collection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

awe lads, yizzer making a holy show of us...

although i did hear someone say 'oh Jesus' and 'God', so maybe theres hope for them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I thought it was a joke at first. It made me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I think its quite nice. I wasnt there but my friend was & she said the atmosphere was lovely. Yeah the jersey thing is maybe a bit far (there was plenty without them, and i wouldnt be shipping 1 over for it..), but whats wrong with being proud of where youre from when youre 1000s of miles away from home at Christmas.

[QUOTE=jellie;82379352) but whats wrong with being proud of where youre from when youre 1000s of miles away from home at Christmas.[/QUOTE]
    I think it right to be proud of personal achievements but where a person is born is beyond their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

catbear wrote: »
    I think it right to be proud of personal achievements but where a person is born is beyond their control.

That doesnt mean its wrong though? Irish people coming together at Christmas to celebrate - ive no doubt its a great feeling when youre 1000s of miles from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

233969.png

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Was at the mass, great experience. People seriously need to get down off their high horses if they're judging people for joining in with their community 10000 miles away from home on Xmas day. Hope everyone had a great day and best wishes for 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I've no issue at all with people wanting to feel a little closer to home, especially at this time of year when even the most hard-nosed of us get a little homesick, and if people want to do that by going to this mass that's fine by me. I also think it was a nice touch by the priest to acknowledge the large Irish crowd but what really sickens me is hearing some absolute f*ckwit continuing with the IRA chanting in The Fields Of Athenry. There should be no place for that at all and whoever did that really should be ashamed of themselves.

Traq wrote: »
    There should be no place for that at all and whoever did that really should be ashamed of themselves.
    For some people xmas wouldn't be complete without a bit of sectarianism. On the positive side GAA jerseys make policing easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In the land of Southern Cross tatoos on the men and angel wings inked on the backs of women (not to mention the coloured sleeved monsters you see in Newtown), the nation of people wearing promotional baseball caps from beer companies as everyday attire, the land where it is commonplace to put a jacket on your pet dog during "winter", are gah jerseys really all that unfashionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

In the land of Southern Cross tatoos on the men and angel wings inked on the backs of women (not to mention the coloured sleeved monsters you see in Newtown), the nation of people wearing promotional baseball caps from beer companies as everyday attire, the land where it is commonplace to put a jacket on your pet dog during "winter", are gah jerseys really all that unfashionable?

Yes.

• Advertisement

As far as I've seen sport here is free association and not defined by any religious affiliations.
    Edit to add: In case anyone thinks GAA has out grown its religious sectarian roots then they should read this from last year: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kerry-brothers-take-court-action-as-gaa-insists-they-play-for-parish-club-159419.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I don't see what the big fuss is over wearing a GAA jersey. Its an historic and unique Irish sport deeply rooted in our culture. Whats the problem with taking part of your culture with you when you move abroad. Nothing.

I'd consider wearing one myself if Louth weren't so bloody shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yes.

^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

As for The Fields of Athenry, I can't listen to it without thinking of the Euro's.
    "We got flogged up in the Soccer but we won the old sing song".
    BTW what's with all the camera phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The jerseys I could understand, no problem. The song is very strange though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

catbear wrote: »
    Does the xmas service mean you get to sit on the priests lap, like with santy.

Was there really any need for this? The OP came on here asking a genuine question and was basically belittled for wanting to go to mass. Shocking isn't it that some people would want to go to mass on Christmas Day, what with it being a religious celebration and everything! :rolleyes:

The Aussie wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

I think regarding crap tattoos and dog jackets as being superior to wearing a gah jersey to be pathetic frankly.
    BTW what's with all the camera phones?

That its not 1995?

I think regarding crap tattoos and dog jackets as being superior to wearing a gah jersey to be pathetic frankly.

As opposed to all the cheesy Republican Tattoos and the Celtic Jersys :rolleyes:
    Pathetic Frankly, what ever you say Mr Frankly :pac:

That its not 1995?

So people go to Mass to photograph it, it's been a while since I was last there but I don't think that's the purpose of attending, looks more like the makings of a really really interesting story

The Aussie wrote: »
    As opposed to all the cheesy Republican Tattoos and the Celtic Jersys :rolleyes:

What is pathetic about a Celtic jersey? :confused: The worst tattoo I have ever seen on an Irish person was a girl with Made in Ireland on her neck. Crap, although I would rank it equal to S.C, angel wings and Newtown sleeves.

Im guessing you have a Southern Cross, so Ima leave it.

Laugh a little, and leave it :pac:

What is pathetic about a Celtic jersey? :confused: The worst tattoo I have ever seen on an Irish person was a girl with Made in Ireland on her neck. Crap, although I would rank it equal to S.C, angel wings and Newtown sleeves.

Im guessing you have a Southern Cross, so Ima leave it.

Laugh a little, and leave it :pac:

You guess a lot wrong I'm figuring, no tattoos on me nor will I. :cool:

What is wrong with the Celtic Jersey, what is right about it ??? you have a couple to go with your cheesy Republican tats hey, a bit like wearing a Leprechaun hat with a Irish Soccer Jersey while out drinking in Sydney, I'm still laughing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's bad enough that these culchies run around here wearing those ridiculous jerseys but the thought of them inflicting this ****e on the rest of the world is just plain embarrassing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement