Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bondi Jersey Mass???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Laughed my head off watching the video of it, it's brilliant.

Traq wrote: »
    I've no issue at all with people wanting to feel a little closer to home, especially at this time of year when even the most hard-nosed of us get a little homesick, and if people want to do that by going to this mass that's fine by me. I also think it was a nice touch by the priest to acknowledge the large Irish crowd but what really sickens me is hearing some absolute f*ckwit continuing with the IRA chanting in The Fields Of Athenry. There should be no place for that at all and whoever did that really should be ashamed of themselves.
    I.R.A.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The Aussie wrote: »

What is wrong with the Celtic Jersey, what is right about it ??? you have a couple to go with your cheesy Republican tats hey, a bit like wearing a Leprechaun hat with a Irish Soccer Jersey while out drinking in Sydney, I'm still laughing :pac:

What is wrong or right about any sports jersey so?

Yes. Each and every Sunday Irish bars in Sydney are filled with people in Leprachan outfits, fake beards and Kiss Me Im Irish ties. Even IRA black leather jackets and berets during the cooler winter months.....

Fact is, sports wear in a hot climate feels good. I wouldnt wear it to a mass personally but who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Aah Jerseys not contentious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

The only issue I have is the ridiculous amount of camera phones and digi cameras people have up in the air, recording the whole thing (which of course they're going to watch over and over again :P)

Sure in any case, the culchies need to express their individuality somehow :D Silly nonsense people taking it all so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Don't really understand the issue with people wearing their county jersey. If you go to Warringah Mall, it's a common thing to see a Manly Sea Eagles jersey. Most of my male Kiwi friends like to wear their All Black jerseys, sure what harm.

I agree with ye about the IRA thing, no need for it but sure there's always a few that will push things too far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

crushproof wrote: »
    The only issue I have is the ridiculous amount of camera phones and digi cameras people have up in the air, recording the whole thing (which of course they're going to watch over and over again :P)

Sure in any case, the culchies need to express their individuality somehow :D Silly nonsense people taking it all so serious.

You try to make a point and do pretty well until your attempt to belittle people with your 'culchie' comment. Does this make you feel superior somehow?

Personally I wear my county GAA jersey with pride, usually on match days or the run up to a match. I see no issue with it and why is there a need to judge what a person wears to mass? or anywhere for that matter. It's that small minded thinking that should be left behind when you step on a plane out here. You'll get the odd loud mouth in his jersey with the collar up looking to get a rise out of someone and agree that that sort of behaviour isn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Ah, the old jersey bashers are back.

I remember casual Friday back in Ireland when lot of my non-Irish workmates would turn up in every sports top from Springboks, to EPL and even a couple of Pakistan cricket jerseys and no one gave a crap, but when paddies do it with a GA top its treasonous and an embarassment.

All I can say is why do you care what someone else wears? My sense of self and my Irishness are not linked to a bloody piece of cheap polyester but if someone else likes wearing them then why on earth would I give a sh1te? Get over it ffs, this debate always just reeks of smug try-hard snobbery and has gotten really old at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Laughed my head off watching the video of it, it's brilliant.

I.R.A.
    Get over it.

To be honest, i don't think there's any place at all for those murdering scumbags, let alone their mention in a church, but that's a discussion for another time and place.

I was just saying I've no issues with the jersey wearing crowd at the mass, apart from that one idiot.

Anyway, I've no desire to turn this into a pro/anti IRA thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Was there really any need for this? The OP came on here asking a genuine question and was basically belittled for wanting to go to mass. Shocking isn't it that some people would want to go to mass on Christmas Day, what with it being a religious celebration and everything! :rolleyes:
    My bad, the jerseys and terrace singing made me think it was an exclusive tribal gathering and not a christian based service that's supposed to be for all. I wonder what the song on sunday will be, Wiskey in the Jar or The Wild Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The Aussie/Damo - get over it and move on. This back and forth you have is going no where, enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Was the priest Irish or Australian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

salonfire wrote: »
    Was the priest Irish or Australian?
    Shouldn't make a difference, it's the RCC. It's supposed to be a universal institution, after all thats what catholic/katholikos means. There is no state church for the republic of Ireland as far as I am aware but please correct me if I am wrong. The RCC is multinational organisation with its headquarters in the Vatican city.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

Haha,can't believe this actually went this far.Nuts
    Went to the mass anyway.Great to see all the Irish people there with the county colours on.Even when me and my dub friend(also in a jersey) were walking home in a random suburb of Sydney an old bloke shouted up the dubs at him and wished us merry Christmas.
    Is that not good to see?

For anyone here that's giving out about it.
    I hope ye go to mass every Sunday and confession once a month.Say all yer prayers and actually listen to what's being said and understand the message when yer there.

Throwing stones in glass houses and all that craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

catbear wrote: »
    Shouldn't make a difference, it's the RCC. It's supposed to be a universal institution, after all thats what catholic/katholikos means. There is no state church for the republic of Ireland as far as I am aware but please correct me if I am wrong. The RCC is multinational organisation with its headquarters in the Vatican city.
    Mod They asked a simple question, either answer it or don't bother with these smart replies.

It's fair to say the Op's question has been answered. Closing thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement