Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rousseau

Options
  • 24-12-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Came across this on a site:

"Add to it the Rousseauian view that political attachments are essentially bounded and that love for one group—or, to put it more mildly, republican civil friendship—requires exclusion of some “other”, and the importance becomes quite obvious"

I was wondering if anybody might be able to direct me to where in Rousseau's writings the author gets this idea. It sounds like it might be from the Social COntract, but I'm not sure (I'm thinking specifically about the Rousseau suggesting that some Other must be excluded).

Anybody have an idea, or better yet, a reference?

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

IrishMark wrote: »
    Came across this on a site:

"Add to it the Rousseauian view that political attachments are essentially bounded and that love for one group—or, to put it more mildly, republican civil friendship—requires exclusion of some “other”, and the importance becomes quite obvious"
    Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy "Nationalism" revised 1 June 2010 (The source is sometimes useful to include in your inquiry when quoting).
    IrishMark wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody might be able to direct me to where in Rousseau's writings the author gets this idea. It sounds like it might be from the Social COntract, but I'm not sure (I'm thinking specifically about the Rousseau suggesting that some Other must be excluded).
    The "Social Compact" within Rousseau's Social Contract specifies how political attachments are essentially bounded, and suggests that those outside of the social compact would result in exclusion of some "other."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement