Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is alcoholism grounds for claiming disability allowance.

Options
  • 24-12-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

my sister is a chronic alcoholic.she lost her job this time last year and since then her whole world has seem to have imployed.she spent 12 weeks in cuan mhuire athenry which is an addiction centre run by 2 nuns.she is attending her g p but also the psych services.she is not able to leave the house and has tried suicide in the last few months.as a family we are at the of our tetthers as to know what to do with her.

social welfare want her to attend courses run by fas after christmas but she cant leave the house never mind going on a course,the local social welfare office dont even have the common courtesy to answer the phones so we dont know what to do.

we want to try and claim for disability for her but i dont know how they look on alcholism, do social protection look on it as a disease or an illness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We had the same problem in our family years ago so I sympathise with you.
    Unfortunately there is very little anyone can do until the person wants to do something for themselves. You will not succeed with anything against their will.

Keep visiting and encouraging you're sister.
    I hope it all goes well in the end.

Advertisement