Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best PHYSICS textbook and Revision book? Urgent!

• 24-12-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

The title is pretty self explanitory but could someone suggest the best Physics textbook and revision book?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This isn't the time to be thinking about school! :D

But to answer your question I'd say Real World Physics is a decent textbook and the Essentials Unfolded Physics book is a great little revision book.
    But seriously...get your mind off school for the evening, I shouldn't even be trawling through boards myself! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Real World Physics is the best Physics book hands down. My class uses "Investigating Physics" and it's just impossible

As for revision books, most teachers recommend "Exam Edge"

I'm using it in 5th year now and it's pretty good, if you use the Real World Physics book it ties it with that, it's by the same author I think.

It's basically like a list of definitions. On one side of the page there are questions like "What is refraction?" or "State Newton's Laws of Motion" and many other important parts of a chapter and on the right side there's the answer. It also has most of the experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

kingcobra wrote: »
    This isn't the time to be thinking about school! :D

But to answer your question I'd say Real World Physics is a decent textbook and the Essentials Unfolded Physics book is a great little revision book.
    But seriously...get your mind off school for the evening, I shouldn't even be trawling through boards myself! :pac:

Thank you so much! haha yes I will! Merry Christmas :D

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Real World Physics is the best Physics book hands down. My class uses "Investigating Physics" and it's just impossible

As for revision books, most teachers recommend "Exam Edge"

I'm using it in 5th year now and it's pretty good, if you use the Real World Physics book it ties it with that, it's by the same author I think.

It's basically like a list of definitions. On one side of the page there are questions like "What is refraction?" or "State Newton's Laws of Motion" and many other important parts of a chapter and on the right side there's the answer. It also has most of the experiments.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

investigating physics is a good book :)

• Advertisement

aarond280 wrote: »
    investigating physics is a good book :)
    You what? :mad:

Classof2013, you're not thinking of taking up ANOTHER extra subject 5 months before your Leaving Cert are you? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

You what? :mad:

Classof2013, you're not thinking of taking up ANOTHER extra subject 5 months before your Leaving Cert are you? :)
    Do you not think ts a good book :p

aarond280 wrote: »
    Do you not think ts a good book :p
    No way :eek:

I've come to a complete turn around in what I want to do with the rest of my life. Sounds strange I know haha Anyways, can anyone highlight the course to me? I have "Real World Physics" and I would like to know what chapters I need to learn and what groups they belong to as in Electricity, Waves etc ?

I've come to a complete turn around in what I want to do with the rest of my life. Sounds strange I know haha Anyways, can anyone highlight the course to me? I have "Real World Physics" and I would like to know what chapters I need to learn and what groups they belong to as in Electricity, Waves etc ?
    So mo more Classics and stuff? :eek:

Pretty much all of it to be honest..I mean there are some ways around it but it would be taking a risk and you'd have to be pretty confident. I wouldn't know much about it.

I'd imagine the book highlights the option chapters though: Particle Physics and Applied Electricity. You pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Thats understandable, i'll give you a break down of the exam and the questions... Section A is Q's 1-4 is experiments, 4 Q's do 3, all the experiments are sumarised in files here http://physics.slss.ie/resource_category/view/296, there is always a question on light, mechanics and electricity in this section , and the 4th experiment is then taken from the the others can be anything.
    Section B. question 5 is short answer, 10 parts do 8, Q6 is mechanics, Q7 is usually light and waves. The rest then vary, i would definitly study the option most people do particle physics, since you have so little time, many people say you can do the exam without doing electricity at all, maybe have a basic knowledge but you don't need to focus on it, just choose your other questions right. Modern physics ch2 9-31 in real world physics, is a nice section and if you do chemistry it kind of overlaps a bit. Definitely know the mechanics section ch 6-13 well, all the light and waves chapters too( ch 2-5,16,17,18) and if you knew the option well, you could do an okay exam.... but this will be difficult to pick up now, so don't be broken hearted if you are expecting an A1 and dont get it

if anyone else who studies physics thinks i have this wrong i'm sorry:o

So mo more Classics and stuff? :eek:

Pretty much all of it to be honest..I mean there are some ways around it but it would be taking a risk and you'd have to be pretty confident. I wouldn't know much about it.

I'd imagine the book highlights the option chapters though: Particle Physics and Applied Electricity. You pick one.

Nope I'm still doing that..it's a long story haha

Thats understandable, i'll give you a break down of the exam and the questions... Section A is Q's 1-4 is experiments, 4 Q's do 3, all the experiments are sumarised in files here http://physics.slss.ie/resource_category/view/296, there is always a question on light, mechanics and electricity in this section , and the 4th experiment is then taken from the the others can be anything.
    Section B. question 5 is short answer, 10 parts do 8, Q6 is mechanics, Q7 is usually light and waves. The rest then vary, i would definitly study the option most people do particle physics, since you have so little time, many people say you can do the exam without doing electricity at all, maybe have a basic knowledge but you don't need to focus on it, just choose your other questions right. Modern physics ch2 9-31 in real world physics, is a nice section and if you do chemistry it kind of overlaps a bit. Definitely know the mechanics section ch 6-13 well, all the light and waves chapters too( ch 2-5,16,17,18) and if you knew the option well, you could do an okay exam.... but this will be difficult to pick up now, so don't be broken hearted if you are expecting an A1 and dont get it

if anyone else who studies physics thinks i have this wrong i'm sorry:o

Thank you SO much for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Thank you SO much for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it :)

Its's grand, any other questions just ask, also in mechanics, circular motion and simple harmonic motion are kinda hard, but my teacher thinks they will come up in mechanics this year so have a look at them :)

Advertisement