Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done!

Options
  • 24-12-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Just like to say a hearty well done to everybody who brought some much needed feel good to the city over the last few weeks. Winterval and its army of volunteers and attractions - it was just brilliant. Also enjoyed the Panto in the Theatre - great family night out, well done gang. It all added up to the best run into Christmas in years, and I for one would just like to say well done to one and all for putting a bit of fun and pride back in the city, and may it continue into the new year with Waterford on the up! Happy Christmas folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

well said buddy! here here!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

There was a great atmosphere around on Sat despite the weather. Went out to the santa train in Kilmeaden and it was brilliant. They should have linked in with Winterval to get a bit more publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I believe RTE news refereed to it as "Waterford's attempt to make money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

b0ardsUser wrote: »

Well, whatever it was, it was well executed. I hope it generates some income for the town or at least breaks even. It would be nice to see something like it next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I also hope this brilliant festival can be repeated if not next year then the year after, and the knock-on effects on local shops has been excellent, I really think we were in big trouble, shopping-wise, before this festival came along. Also, people seem to be spending money this year after 5 years of misery and doom and gloom budgets, which is great news for the city. Well done to all involved and Jack Molloy, please leave your lovely ham blaa stand there all year! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

b0ardsUser wrote: »

Fuck RTÉ then

Great setup and unfortunately I didnt get to see as much as I would have liked. Fantastic setup from my experience and I cant wait to see it kick on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you mean on Nationwide?

They did refer to Winterval helping shopping in the city but I didnt hear them say that.

OP, I agree the person who organised Winterval should be mayor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I also hope this brilliant festival can be repeated if not next year then the year after, and the knock-on effects on local shops has been excellent, I really think we were in big trouble, shopping-wise, before this festival came along. Also, people seem to be spending money this year after 5 years of misery and doom and gloom budgets, which is great news for the city. Well done to all involved and Jack Molloy, please leave your lovely ham blaa stand there all year! ;)

AFAIK, it is going to be repeated next year and will run up to the 31st Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

The winterval festival was much better than Galways more hyped christmas market although it's a shame that some tramps broke into one of the huts and stole two pictures of Christy Ring and a picture of the 1959 Waterford team as well as a pile of hurleys.Anyway i think people are starting to realise that Waterford is not in anyway inferior to any other city in the country.With the exception of Cork i'd take Waterford over Dublin Limerick and Galway anyday.Who knows maybe a sleeping giant is about to wake up in 2013.It's about time that Irelands oldest city starts putting those upstarts up in Galway back in their place!Eyre Square ffs sure the peoples park in Waterford is way bigger than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I was one of the "army of volunteers", many's the cold hour I spent traipsing around making sure everyone knew where they were going and were happy etc.. thanks for the mention OP, we do appreciate it, and I felt like I was helping in my own small way with the recovery of our great city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

nice_very wrote: »
    I was one of the "army of volunteers", many's the cold hour I spent traipsing around making sure everyone knew where they were going and were happy etc.. thanks for the mention OP, we do appreciate it, and I felt like I was helping in my own small way with the recovery of our great city.

Thank you for your hard work, had a brilliant day in there with the kids last Saturday.
    Fantastic to see the city buzzing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Just like to add my thanks to all the organisers and volunteers of Winterval, great to see the city so vibrant, it will surely go from strength to strength, the festival I mean, but please God 2013 will be a better year for this sleeping giant of a city. Hope everyone is enjoying their time off should they have any! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

nice_very wrote: »

well done to all the volunteers...they were brilliant - i know people winge about "free labour" but great festivals are always backed by an army of volunteers. lets see if Waterford can make winterval bigger and better next year - as i assume Cork, Galway & Dublin will try compete more!

Advertisement