Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmv

Options
  • 24-12-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Are Hmv fcuked? They could not and had not the new box set of love/ hate easily Ireland's best selling DVD in years . When I asked they said they had supplier issues !
    At least my local had it in stock .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

RTE witheld the release to try bolster their online sales, try any shop in Dublin and you'll get the same answer. A few random shops do have it, but all the 'go to' retailrs sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's been sold out for ages - quite hard to get apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Bought it in cd world drogheda today

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

yes HMV are ****ed. if you got or have vouchers,cash them as quick as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

supervalu in arklow had loads of copies earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please, no scaremongering

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We got the first delivery of Love/Hate, about 1/3 of the usual del of a new release box set.

That sold out in one day, then it disappeared from the ordering system. Pity, we could have sold a few hundred of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    RTE witheld the release to try bolster their online sales, try any shop in Dublin and you'll get the same answer. A few random shops do have it, but all the 'go to' retailrs sold out.

eh, they witheld the realease cos the series was not over. Doh.

the box set was dispatched the morning after the series finished, was in some shops later that day and mst shops the next day and sold out in most places within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Dunnes stores in ennis had a few copies yesterday if anyone wants to try tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

sandin wrote: »
    eh, they witheld the realease cos the series was not over. Doh.

the box set was dispatched the morning after the series finished, was in some shops later that day and mst shops the next day and sold out in most places within a couple of days.

Obviously.. I made no reference to when it released, rather the the fact they wanted to maximize their online sales by not releasing more to shops. So there is X-thousand sets out their sitting in a warehouse, because of a plan that backfired.

• Advertisement

So Hmv per ordered stock is now in rte your saying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The goto place for DVDs Out of stock at Xmas? No poopie Sherock!

The odd places in the bum hole of nowhere is always where you get stuff close to Xmas.

But yes to be fair HMV are in some financial difficulties. A simple google search is what you're looking for OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Lots in tesco in Carlow too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It sounds like they cocked the order up rather than them being in any imminent financial danger.

I wonder if the order was done through the UK head office who probably underestimated the popularity of the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Could also be a short ordering issue in certain HMV stores. I was in the one in Dundrum the week before Christmas and was looking for Tiny Dancer, the charity single. Was told they had sold out but more were due in the next day. Discovered after that that store had ordered 25% of the quantity that the other HMVs took.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

blingrhino wrote: »
    Are Hmv fcuked? They could not and had not the new box set of love/ hate easily Ireland's best selling DVD in years . When I asked they said they had supplier issues !
    At least my local had it in stock .
    No HMV are not f..... they are gonna be taken over by apollo management a v strong company so woudnt be worried about the future of HMV :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Series 1 & 2 are in power city coolock for €10 each

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

A former manager told me all the HMV ordering is done centrally.
    They then split out the orders based on a shop metric to see who gets the most.

I was told this around the time the Wii launched and they were saying how their shop was only getting 3 out of a big shipment of them.
    With a single ordering point they may have been restricted on amounts which then forced them to distribute less to each store and so they all sold out.

castie wrote: »
    A former manager told me all the HMV ordering is done centrally.
    They then split out the orders based on a shop metric to see who gets the most.

I was told this around the time the Wii launched and they were saying how their shop was only getting 3 out of a big shipment of them.
    With a single ordering point they may have been restricted on amounts which then forced them to distribute less to each store and so they all sold out.

They never had the box set at Christmas at all - ever . ( love/ hate )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No HMV are not f..... they are gonna be taken over by apollo management a v strong company so woudnt be worried about the future of HMV :-)

Things have changed unfortunately. Apollo not now interested in taking over HMV

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/14/us-hmv-apollo-idUSBRE90D0SA20130114

And from RTE's twitter feed, "Music retailer HMV is reportedly set to call in administrators tomorrow morning"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Also on RTE's news website.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0114/hmv-set-to-call-in-administrators-report.html

Unfortunate news for staff there.

Whats the story with gift vouchers now I wonder? Will they be accepting them tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Also on RTE's news website.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0114/hmv-set-to-call-in-administrators-report.html

Unfortunate news for staff there.

Whats the story with gift vouchers now I wonder? Will they be accepting them tomorrow?

Somebody on AH has said they wont be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mushy wrote: »
    Somebody on AH has said they wont be accepted.

Balls. Received one for Christmas - didn't get to use it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Balls. Received one for Christmas - didn't get to use it yet.

Hopefully it was bought on a credit card and they can do a chargeback. I'd already bought one before the warning posts went up in December. I warned the person to use it asap after Christmas, really hope he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get your arses down to HMV tomorrow! After then, the administrators are not obliged to accept them and you won't get the money back unless originally bought with either a CC or Visa debit card...

And I'm very wary of buying gift cards now. In future I'd get One For All, or buy something a bit more solid like M & S, Debs, iTunes and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

athtrasna wrote: »
    Hopefully it was bought on a credit card and they can do a chargeback. I'd already bought one before the warning posts went up in December. I warned the person to use it asap after Christmas, really hope he did!

Unlikely I'd say. Not near a shop so going tomorrow morning is not an option - also the tweeted image of an e-mail instruction from head office to all stores indicates that even tomorrow won't be any good. I may hold on to it in case things turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The copy of the letter can be seen here

wrexham.com/news/town-centre-shop-threatened-hmv-enters-administration-27684.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

vouchers wont be accepted anymore
    HMV has confirmed it will not be accepting gift cards or vouchers as the retailer prepares to appoint administrators.

The company confirmed its intentions following a board meeting last night, as exclusively revealed by Sky's City Editor Mark Kleinman.

In its statement, HMV - which employs 4,350 people - said its stores would remain open while administrators Deloitte sought a buyer.

It added that trading in HMV's ordinary shares had ceased.

The statement said: "On 13 December 2012, the Company announced that as a result of current market trading conditions, the Company faced material uncertainties and that it was probable that the Group would not comply with its banking covenants at the end of January 2013.

"The Company also stated that it was in discussions with its banks. "Since that date, the Company has continued the discussions with its banks and other key stakeholders to remedy the imminent covenant breach.

"However, the Board regrets to announce that it has been unable to reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection, and in the circumstances therefore intends to file notice to appoint administrators to the Company and certain of its subsidiaries with immediate effect.

"The Directors of the Company understand that it is the intention of the administrators, once appointed, to continue to trade whilst they seek a purchaser for the business."

"It is proposed that Nick Edwards, Neville Kahn and Rob Harding, partners of Deloitte LLP, will be appointed as the administrators of the Company and certain of its subsidiaries.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038182/hmv-vouchers-invalid-amid-retailers-collapse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I suspect any buyer will close the Irish stores. Mere conjecture on my part though. I really think some legislation should be brought in re gift cards, seems every time a company gets in trouble they stop taking gift cards. I wouldn't mind but any company I've ever worked for didn't take Gift card/voucher sales into account until they were spent.

This is why I send cash or a postal order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Complete disgrace. They continued to sell vouchers to members of the public as christmas presents, knowing full well they're likely to enter administration, and as soon as Christmas is over, before there's a chance to spend the vouchers, they stop accepting them.

How is that not considered fraud?

Advertisement