Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Xtra Vision are a slightly different business model, they rent most of their product although I'd say they are taking a hammering from the likes of Netflix at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Deloittes has been appointed receivers to HMV Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

Deloittes has been appointed receivers to HMV Ireland.

They should give at least one day for people to redeem vouchers in lieu of them illegally refusing them yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

omnithanos wrote: »
    They should give at least one day for people to redeem vouchers in lieu of them illegally refusing them yesterday.

They didn't do anything illegal, as has already been stated numerous times on this thread. They do not have to accept your custom in their stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I beg to differ, by knowingly selling a voucher for a product that they knew they couldnt provide they committed<SNIP>

Not the actual sales staff but the senior and middle management that knew what was going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    They didn't do anything illegal, as has already been stated numerous times on this thread. They do not have to accept your custom in their stores.

They sold <SNIP> vouchers in the knowledge that they wouldn't allow people to redeem them. They are pure sick.

Shelflife wrote: »
    I beg to differ, by knowingly selling a voucher for a product that they knew they couldnt provide they committed <SNIP>
    Not the actual sales staff but the senior and middle management that knew what was going on.

They haven't said that they will never redeem them. At the moment, they are not. That doesn't mean that they won't. Until they categorically state that they will never accept them, no fraudulent act has been committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Eod100 wrote: »
    If HMV are closing you wonder how places like Golden Discs and Xtravision will survive?

Didn't BlockBusters UK go into admin today? Don't they own Xtravision?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They refused to honour them yesterday, and with the appointment of a reciever its unlikely that they will be honoured.

While technically you are correct in that they may be honoured , realistically they wont.

If they knowingly sold the vouchers on the basis that they would not be able to honour them then thats fraud.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    They refused to honour them yesterday, and with the appointment of a reciever its unlikely that they will be honoured.

While technically you are correct in that they may be honoured , realistically they wont.

If they knowingly sold the vouchers on the basis that they would not be able to honour them then thats fraud.

I know, but, like I said, at the moment it cannot be considered fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There has to be a cut-off point. They can't give a week's grace etc. and say we can't sell them, we can only accept them as payment this week- because they wouldn't last, share price would be 0 and they'd have no hope at all of being sold to a bidder. Of course it's morally wrong that top management allowed it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the best decision they could have made for the possible future of the company. It's also possible that negotiations/deals collapsed at the last minute (they were in talks for a £300M handout, after successfully receiving one prior to this) and that it was a swift decision ie. they weren't hanging around for weeks knowing how imminent it was. Knowing the company is in danger and won't last the year is different to knowing examiners will be called the next day.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

HMV are the kind of place where the more interesting CDs/DVDs were too expensive. Once you go past buying chart/mainstream stuff they charge too much. Great for buying Best Of CDs and TV box sets on the cheap but try to buy an old black and white Japanese film or a metal band's CD from the 1980s then it's €20 to €40.

Eod100 wrote: »
    If HMV are closing you wonder how places like Golden Discs and Xtravision will survive?

Xtravision's parent company Blockbuster went into examinership yesterday. Golden Discs have survived by closing a whole load of stores. They only have one left in Dublin city- Jervis, and 3 in Dublin altogether. 15 nationwide, and all of them are tiny. I would put money on the company not being around in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I notice that Blockbuster are continuing to accept vouchers even after entering receivership with the same company, Deloitte.

I'd imagine the number of vouchers in circulation must be much smaller. I've never heard of anyone giving or receiving vouchers for a video shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Xtravision's parent company Blockbuster went into examinership yesterday.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra-vision
    As of August 2009 it is operated by Irish investment group Birchhall Investments.

So Blockbuster going into examinership shouldn't really affect it?

the_syco wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra-vision

So Blockbuster going into examinership shouldn't really affect it?

Fair enough, there seems to be a misconception in general that that is the case. Regardless, I don't see Xtravision lasting long. They've closed stores already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SubBusted wrote: »
    HMV are the kind of place where the more interesting CDs/DVDs were too expensive. Once you go past buying chart/mainstream stuff they charge too much. Great for buying Best Of CDs and TV box sets on the cheap but try to buy an old black and white Japanese film or a metal band's CD from the 1980s then it's €20 to €40.

That's more to do with stock management and supplier rates, than just throwing any price tag they want. Stuff with higher demand and bought in bulk is going to have a lower cost price for the store, where as stuff brought in small volume and harder to obtain will cost more.

The cost price is determined by the popularity of the IP, not the media (CD/DVD/Blu Ray) by which it's on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Fair enough, there seems to be a misconception in general that that is the case. Regardless, I don't see Xtravision lasting long. They've closed stores already.

Yea Blockbusters sold Xtra Vision back in 2009, much like HMV sold Waterstones and their live gig company.

I agree tho, I can't see Xtra-Vision lasting much longer, Netflix and general streaming direct to your Tablet, TV, PC,etc is the way forward, they don't stand a chance really, shame that I used to love browsing in HMV and Xtra Vision and picking up some really good bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Did people see this news item? Interesting alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yes, and he's a thief, plain and simple.
    it's also people like him that meant the stores had to close their doors, rather than sell off stock and increase the cash available to cover wages/redundancy payments of the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

it's also people like him that meant the stores had to close their doors, rather than sell off stock and increase the cash available to cover wages/redundancy payments of the staff.

:rolleyes:

I wonder would he have taken the items if HMV had honoured his gift card...

juan.kerr wrote: »

:rolleyes:

I wonder would he have taken the items if HMV had honoured his gift card...

That's irrelevant, he's a thief regardless. I've no doubt that some customers have been so aggressive that staff have been genuinely scared out if their wits by them.

Not the sort of thing you should be putting someone that's just been told they might not get paid for the work plus overtime they did over Christmas in addition to becoming unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sacramento wrote: »
    That's irrelevant, he's a thief regardless.

I don't see how it is irrelevant. HMV are equally thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Regardless of the legal nuances regarding whether or not that gentleman was a thief in legal terms, HMV were abhorently dishonest in their dealings with the public by selling vouchers up until just before they closed. As soon as they closed they announced they would not honour vouchers.

I understand the financial and legal reasons why those taking over to try and sort out the finances of the company won't honour vouchers but from a customer point of view they have been essentially stolen from by HMV.

One things for sure, Ill never buy a voucher again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

yes, and he's a thief, plain and simple.

How so? They should have been taking vouchers as the were not in examinership when this incident happened - they acted illegally. He paid money for a voucher to be used for purchasing goods and he took said goods. He shouldn't have taken more than what was on the voucher but it would be very hard to prosecute him as its a real grey area due to HMV not being in examinership at the time.

I agree that people shouldn't get getting at the staff but you can do that without being an asshole. I am also sick of hearing about the staff and how people should just accept being shafted because of them... its regrettable that this has happened but if this was any other country, its wouldn't be accepted. There are plenty of people out there who don't have a red cent and had vouchers that were gifted to them, they are suffering and yet they are expected to just suck it up.

The country is in the state that we are in because we don't stand up enough for ourselves and just 'accept' things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless things have changed, the discs are kept behind the counter, and there's only empty boxes on the shelves, thus either he only has empty boxes now, or he bought the games and is trying to look 'ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

RoboRat wrote: »
    How so? They should have been taking vouchers as the were not in examinership when this incident happened - they acted illegally. He paid money for a voucher to be used for purchasing goods and he took said goods. He shouldn't have taken more than what was on the voucher but it would be very hard to prosecute him as its a real grey area due to HMV not being in examinership at the time.

Not really, he walked into a shop and performed a one sided transaction.
    I.E. TAKE THIS AS PAYMENT
    Shop doesn't accept.

Walks out - That's theft.

Pretty much the same as my going from Tescos with bag of Oranges and walking into Dunnes trying to exchange them for a bag of apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Pretty much the same as my going from Tescos with bag of Oranges and walking into Dunnes trying to exchange them for a bag of apples.

Erm, how so? That makes no sense. People bought the voucher in HMV and they were redeeming it in HMV, if they were going into Golden Discs, then your comparison would make sense.
    Not really, he walked into a shop and performed a one sided transaction.
    I.E. TAKE THIS AS PAYMENT
    Shop doesn't accept.

The transaction wasn't one sided though, they agreed to sell a voucher for X amount in the understanding that at some stage within a specified timeframe, that voucher would be redeemed. This is the agreement or transaction that took place initially and both parties were privy to this. HMV decided to then move the goalposts so to speak, and illegally refuse to honour this voucher leaving the customer with no option than to take the goods. Put it this way, if you went into a chipper, paid €10 for some food and then they decided that they weren't going to serve you the food that you paid for, would they have a leg to stand on? You paid for the food, you have the receipt/voucher for the food and they cannot just decline to give you what you paid for.

It seems that its OK for the shop to take payment for a service that it knows it will probably never honour BUT its not OK for the consumer to claim what is rightfully theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless things have changed, the discs are kept behind the counter, and there's only empty boxes on the shelves, thus either he only has empty boxes now, or he bought the games and is trying to look 'ard.

Not anymore, most of the games have the disks in them and a security tag on the box which needs to be swiped when purchased.

Advertisement