Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To the best of my knowledge, the insurance must be between the insurer and the customer, HMV would not be authorised to act as the insurer. HMV act in the capacity of insurance agent/broker, which means that they can handle and resolve claims on behalf of the insurer, but legally they cannot actually be the insurer, the policy must be provided to the customer by an actual insurance company.

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zewookie

Miaireland wrote: »
    First are the headphones broken?
    Yes the headphones have lost their right channel.
    Miaireland wrote: »
    Your only option is to deal with the Insurance Company (even that will depend on whether the policy is in your name or HMV Ireland ) You have no contract with HMV UK, hence they will not help you.Neither do HMV UK have any contract with the Irish Insurance company so they will not handle your claim on their behalf ie give you a new set of headphones.

I am in hope that HMV UK are also brokers for Allianz. Part of the reason I posted this here was in the hope someone might be aware if this is indeed the case. As far as I'm aware, given that my housemate used to work for HMV and I have a little insider information on how the policy's work, the policy is indeed in my name so I would lean toward contacting them directly. I'm hoping someone may have already been in this situation and might be able to shed some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't entirely understand why you're so insistent on dealing with it through HMV?

Most likely the hassle of trying to unravel the chain while standing at a HMV counter in the UK will be far greater than just ringing Allianz today and asking them what to do. If the policy is in your name, then Allianz will honour it.

Failing that, you could find the phone number for the HMV store in the UK and ask them if they can deal with it when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zewookie

seamus wrote: »
    I don't entirely understand why you're so insistent on dealing with it through HMV?

I was hoping to deal with it at the counter in HMV so I could walk out the door with a new pair of headphones, as has been the case in the past. I have just touched base with Allianz, who are/were the insurance providers for both the Irish and English branches of HMV, and they have informed me that everyone must contact them directly and deal with it through the post. While I'm glad there's been a resolution, the prospect of being 3-4 weeks without headphones is not a pleasant one.

Oh, and if anyone else finds them in a similar situation to myself, with HMV-provided insurance to claim on, you need to ring this number directly:
    +448448939497

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

are the hmv stores still closed here in Ireland, haven't been in town to check in a while? or are they open like the UK stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

NoelDoran wrote: »
    are the hmv stores still closed here in Ireland, haven't been in town to check in a while? or are they open like the UK stores?
    The one in Grafton street was closed yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Both are closed in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

The one in Grafton street was closed yesterday anyway.
    Occono wrote: »
    Both are closed in Limerick.

more than likely they are all closed then.......

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

any word on the irish branches, i know hilco have bought the company and a large number of uk stores have been closed but what about the irish stores?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Dublinfan wrote: »
    any word on the irish branches, i know hilco have bought the company and a large number of uk stores have been closed but what about the irish stores?

From what I've heard from the folks I know that worked in HMV they simply couldn't give the slightest **** about the Irish stores.

Splainc wrote: »
    From what I've heard from the folks I know that worked in HMV they simply couldn't give the slightest **** about the Irish stores.

Same with GAME.

My brother had me buy something from Amazon last week, first time for me using it. It'll be two weeks delivery after being estimated to come this Friday or before.

I'm seriously going to miss HMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nomessin

Any further developments this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I hear that Some landlords have been asked to start afresh if they are to return and the are looking for a 70% reduction in rent.
    But this only covers 5 or 6 stores or those that are worth saving in otherwards.
    Also the suppliers have been asked to write off their bills !

i expect if it survives in Ireland many of the shopping center branches will go, grafton and henry street will stay open or atleast one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nomessin

Has the staff been paid yet? Have a feeling the company will survive in Ireland if even just a couple of stores. Interesting to know if Golden discs or Tower have increased sales to any significant amount since the closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Irish Times, today:

Sixteen HMV Ireland stores will close permanently and 300 staff will be made redundant its receiver has confirmed. Deloitte head of restructuring services team David Carson said that the 16 shops closed prior to receivership will not reopen and all 300 staff who were previously placed on temporary lay-off will now be made redundant. All stores were loss-making and the receiver was unable to attract a purchaser. Carson cited web-based competition and high rents as adding to difficulties for the retailer.

:(

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Irish Times, today:

Sixteen HMV Ireland stores will close permanently and 300 staff will be made redundant its receiver has confirmed. Deloitte head of restructuring services team David Carson said that the 16 shops closed prior to receivership will not reopen and all 300 staff who were previously placed on temporary lay-off will now be made redundant. All stores were loss-making and the receiver was unable to attract a purchaser. Carson cited web-based competition and high rents as adding to difficulties for the retailer.

:(

Any list of which ones? I presume the Big ones remain, Dublin city ect

Just realized there are only 16:O surely the likes of Henry street was making a fair bit of money it was always packed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Any list of which ones? I presume the Big ones remain, Dublin city ect

That's all the Irish stores. I find it hard to believe that all the stores were loss-making tbh..

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's all the Irish stores. I find it hard to believe that all the stores were loss-making tbh..

Limerick had two, why would they even keep two open if they weren't profitable.

• Advertisement

The ones In Dublin city Especially henry street where always packed, But maybe they Didnt wanna just keep that open

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Limerick had two, why would they even keep two open if they weren't profitable.

Bad management. That's why HMV is now where it is: years of bad management.
    The ones In Dublin city Especially henry street where always packed, But maybe they Didnt wanna just keep that open

Packed does not equal profitable, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rang AIB today about a chargeback.

They want me to send:

- Photocopy of vouchers plus voucher receipts (right pain in the ass it has to be said to now go and ask each family member I purchased a voucher for to find the actual card).

- Some sort of written confirmation HMV are not accepting vouchers

- Cover Letter

All by post. Pain it has to be said. They weren't even aware of the latest development this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

If your strategy is to sell the majority of stock at a price less than you buy or at a tiny margin that won't generate much profit to use against expenses all stores will be loss making - even the busiest ones.

Bit of an example - before Christmas HMV were selling this bundle:

Xbox 250gb Console
    Halo 4
    12 Months Xbox Live

The price €209.00 - which I'd estimate was at least a €60 loss on each sale. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Contract negotiation is my guess; if all stores are closed all contracts become null and void and then you can open up new "HMV" stores at the relevant locations with appropiate rent contracts (i.e. not only upwards only etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Nody wrote: »
    Contract negotiation is my guess; if all stores are closed all contracts become null and void and then you can open up new "HMV" stores at the relevant locations with appropiate rent contracts (i.e. not only upwards only etc.).

Once in receivership effectively all contracts are null and void already. The receivers can engage with any of the existing landlords on a store by store basis to possibly reduce rents if that by itself or with other measures will make that particular store viable. They could have arranged to keep open any of the existing stores and closed all the others without any penalties to the landlords of existing stores. The fact they have elected to close all stores tells me HMV as a brand on the high street here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

noodler wrote: »

They want me to send:

- Photocopy of vouchers plus voucher receipts (right pain in the ass it has to be said to now go and ask each family member I purchased a voucher for to find the actual card).

- Cover Letter

All by post. Pain it has to be said. They weren't even aware of the latest development this afternoon.

Others may know the legal aspect to chargeback better than me, but as far as I know AIB don't need any of that and they should bloody well do it if asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually, documentation is often required in chargeback cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

noodler wrote: »

They want me to send:

- Cover Letter

It's probably as much hassle but Rabobank are offering 50e if you open a bank account with them and show prove that you've a HMV voucher. Only 1 voucher can be used per person though. Details here: http://www.rabodirect.ie/hmv-voucher/default.aspx

I know there's some pubs etc offering discounts/freebies if you've a voucher..Not sure how they're to know if the voucher actually has any credit on it though!Guess they rely on people's honesty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Actually, documentation is often required in chargeback cases.

Fair enough. I may have been thinking of playing around with direct debits, which I know banks prevaricate on.

Advertisement