Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember reading that when Comet went into administration - people walked into their local Comet, grabbed goods to the value of the voucher, left the voucher on the counter and walked out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I have 40 quid left on a voucher I got on Stephen's Day - I'm going up to Grafton Street store today at lunchtime to spend it - I'll let you know how I get on...If they refuse, I'm going to go bananas - could be a bit of a show if anyone is around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I have 40 quid left on a voucher I got on Stephen's Day - I'm going up to Grafton Street store today at lunchtime to spend it - I'll let you know how I get on...If they refuse, I'm going to go bananas - could be a bit of a show if anyone is around :D

Please don't do that, it's pretty unfair on people who are potentially losing their jobs and have no control over the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Basq wrote: »
    Remember reading that when Comet went into administration - people walked into their local Comet, grabbed goods to the value of the voucher, left the voucher on the counter and walked out! :D

Don't tempt me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

World + Dog knew HMV have been dodgy for ages, so if I had been given vouchers I would have got rid of them pronto.

That being said, some protection should be available for consumers caught out like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Newaglish wrote: »
    Please don't do that, it's pretty unfair on people who are potentially losing their jobs and have no control over the situation.

Totally disagree with this.
    Just because they're losing their jobs, or their dog died, or they slipped on the ice or any of that other ****, has nothing to do with the fact that they should be honouring the vouchers they issued.

The employee is still employed by HMV. If they're worried about not getting paid etc, don't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's crap all right if you are down €40, that said it's an utter disgrace to "go bananas" at a member of staff who went into work this morning not know if they'll have a job in a few weeks time. Bare in mind the retail staff didn't make this decision they are simply following out what they have been told.

It'll be a shame if it goes to the wall, I always like shoppign there, the staff were decent the prices for a bricks and mortor store were pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Realistically, if HMV does go, are gift voucher holders bottom of the food chain when it comes to getting their "debt" settled? I thought Virgin were mad to sell up their Megastores when they did, who'd a thought chatting rubbish with strangers discussing reviews about new dvds/cds before buying could die out:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If HMV and the administrators want to have a business worth selling/breaking up, then they should have done the decent thing and honoured existing gift vouchers. On the scale of things, it’s not really going to be a major addition to their existing problems, now is it?

But I think it’s too late for them, as people now already know their decision. So, the public will show no good will - bye bye HMV.

If Golden Discs are still around, HMV must have been doing something seriously wrong though. Or maybe their Irish operation was profitable, but it’s the glut of UK high street stores that brought them down?

On the plus side, this leaves a gap. Maybe a leaner operation can now step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

Just because they're losing their jobs, or their dog died, or they slipped on the ice or any of that other ****, has nothing to do with the fact that they should be honouring the vouchers they issued.

The employee is still employed by HMV. If they're worried about not getting paid etc, don't go in.

Maybe you think the employees should honour the voucher out of their own pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

roroliam wrote: »
    yes HMV are ****ed. if you got or have vouchers,cash them as quick as you can.

That lad posted that comment on the 24/12/12, good call out of him!

OK, bananas was possibly too strong a word but i don't think it is unreasonable to demand the legal basis why my perfectly valid gift card isn't being honoured.

Whether that be someone at the till or the manager in there - I don't care who but im not going to accept a "no, we're not accepting those" answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Just to clarify, you should never "go bananas" at retail staff, have some manners. You especially shouldn't looking forward to doing so with a grin on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

JDxtra wrote: »
    If Golden Discs are still around, HMV must have been doing something seriously wrong though. Or maybe their Irish operation was profitable, but it’s the glut of UK high street stores that brought them down?

I can only look at this in relation to Dublin stores, but I always suspected the survival of Golden Discs for so long was to do with the fact that they had more stores and could order large volumes of stock centrally, allowing them to sell at competitive prices. Also, their company overheads would have been far lower than HMV's. They traditionally had small outlets, usually (if not always) only one floor, and often within shopping centres (Dun Laoghaire, Santry, Jervis, etc.). Mary Street is the only Golden Discs I can remember having two floors.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there any way of being reimbursed?
    Credit card charge back is about the only way; a gift card is nothing else then an IOU note with out any security. I'm still surprised people give them as you can always give money for same value and not have to worry about it not being valid.
    Well advocating theft is probably not a smart idea; you don't have the right to take goods or try to jump the line of the creditors due for reimbursement simply because you got a gift card. A gift card holder is a unsecured creditor; that means it comes behind the state (tax & VAT), employees (salary, pension, redundancy), secured loans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Nody wrote: »
    Credit card charge back is about the only way; a gift card is nothing else then an IOU note with out any security. I'm still surprised people give them as you can always give money for same value and not have to worry about it not being valid.

What about debit card?

Th issue with charge back's is that the retailer did give you the "goods", they just won't honour them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Don't get angry at the staff, they're being screwed over by the administrators more than the customers are. Not only are they potentially losing their jobs, they now have to deal with a heap of angry people whose vouchers are being refused.

Your anger should be directed at Deloitte. They're the ones who've made the decision not to accept vouchers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very silly thing to do, could get into an awful lot of trouble with Gardai doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭jacool

cml387 wrote: »
    World + Dog knew HMV have been dodgy for ages, so if I had been given vouchers I would have got rid of them pronto.

That being said, some protection should be available for consumers caught out like this.
    Yeah, but that dog's had the inside track since I can recall.

Just to clarify, you should never "go bananas" at retail staff, have some manners. You especially shouldn't looking forward to doing so with a grin on your face.

Take a f**kin' chill pill will ye....I didn't think the smiley face at the end of my post was going to be taken literally :eek: - and I already addressed the bananas bit. Keep up to date

(BTW - my eyes aren't really that big at the moment in the face above)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

guttenberg wrote: »
    Realistically, if HMV does go, are gift voucher holders bottom of the food chain when it comes to getting their "debt" settled? I thought Virgin were mad to sell up their Megastores when they did, who'd a thought chatting rubbish with strangers discussing reviews about new dvds/cds before buying could die out:mad:

Yep the Banks and Revenue are at the top and the voucher holders will be paid when the mice are fed. If it liquidates you haven't a hope in hell of getting a red cent off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

HMV has confirmed it will not be redeeming gift vouchers in its Irish stores "for the time being".

The music and film retailer announced this morning that it is appointing Deloitte as administrators in the UK, raising concerns for the jobs of more than 4,000 people, around 300 of whom work in Ireland.

The stores are open and trading this morning.

Gennaro Castaldo, the head of Press and PR with HMV, said: "That might well change, and if so there will be a communication made from the administrators themselves.

"If I were a customer, I would hang on to them and wait for further communication."

From Breakingnews.ie, still no move from HMV, possibly passing it off until the examinership/receivership comes into effect here...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 first rate

Lets say you walk into HMV with a 100 euro voucher and they say "SORRY but no" and you walk up and grab your vouchers worth of CDs and leave the store, would any judge throw you in jail for that?? I think it would be the right thing to do because the company already got the money it's ridiculous.

I don't have vouchers but if i worked there behind the counter, i would accept them vouchers even if i was brought to court over it because i think it's BS.

Bit over the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

JDxtra wrote: »
    If HMV and the administrators want to have a business worth selling/breaking up, then they should have done the decent thing and honoured existing gift vouchers. On the scale of things, it’s not really going to be a major addition to their existing problems, now is it?

But I think it’s too late for them, as people now already know their decision. So, the public will show no good will - bye bye HMV.

On the plus side, this leaves a gap. Maybe a leaner operation can now step in.

HMV made a loss in Ireland last year as well as the UK. Irish losses were €2.5 million on €75 million turnover.

The business model was being squeezed by online retailers, digital distribution and by supermarket encroaching. To combat this HMV elected to drop prices - at times crazily to below cost to continue getting the footfall into their stores. That was only going to be a short term solution as selling for a loss or selling for a margin that won't pay your running costs is not sustainable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

first rate wrote: »
    I don't have vouchers but if i worked there behind the counter, i would accept them vouchers even if i was brought to court over it because i think it's BS.

Bit over the top?

Administration <> Closing Down.

What if another company bought HMV? (which is what they want)
    If a staff member was to honour vouchers, the new owners might not look too favourably on it (especially if they look to cut staff numbers).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

OK, bananas was possibly too strong a word but i don't think it is unreasonable to demand the legal basis why my perfectly valid gift card isn't being honoured.

Whether that be someone at the till or the manager in there - I don't care who but im not going to accept a "no, we're not accepting those" answer
    Well be prepared to accept no mate. I was in earlier, and a woman at the top of the que, who had her sons voucher I think, was less than impressed, lets put it that way.
    Lots of arguing and stuff being repeated by the staff but she wouldn't take it. She eventuallly left with the vouchers though.

I'm also left with 30 quid on a voucher but they're not accepting them, not a chance of them being honoured at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

"If I were a customer, I would hang on to them and wait for further communication."
    Only saying that to give the impression that vouchers could be accepted down the line (highly unlikely) and get people to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Why would anyone buy a gift voucher the way things are, may as well go into paddy power and put ur money on each way favourite, maybe 50050 chance getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm not "advocating theft".. am just saying what I heard.

My opinion what I mentioned..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Jamie___Hogan

i know 3 people who purchased HMV gift cards for friends and family at Christmas and some of them haven't even received the cards yet don't mind have it spent,

i think it was a very bad trick to play on the public,

Advertisement