Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just rang my bank and they said to send in a letter requesting a charge back and it should be processed.

I bought the vouchers on my Visa Debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Can anyone explain to me why a company that is in trouble continues to do business? If they're losing money, how does the continuation of what their doing improve matters? It seems like they're trying to get out of a hole by continuing to dig.

...or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

saw love/hate series 1-3 on sale in tesco a few weeks ago

isn't there a contractual agreement between hmv and the possessor of the voucher?

if not, it's absolutely unfair... all those people that received vouchers for xmas!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sadderday wrote: »
    isn't there a contractual agreement between hmv and the possessor of the voucher?

if not, it's absolutely unfair... all those people that received vouchers for xmas!
    There is; all card holders are unsecured debt holders; i.e. they are at the bottom of the pile of getting anything as any other unsecured debt holder.

People should have learned by now to never, EVER, give a voucher and always give money instead. Cost the same but no chance of being made worthless over night (short of a government wide coup) and tell them to buy XYZ instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el flaco wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why a company that is in trouble continues to do business? If they're losing money, how does the continuation of what their doing improve matters? It seems like they're trying to get out of a hole by continuing to dig.

...or am I missing something?

I'm no expert but I'd imagine they freeze as much of the money going out on stock as possible, and try to sell what they have to put themselves in a more favourable position. Hence why they won't accept gift vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can't believe the attitudes of some people on here.
    yes it sucks that you might lose out on your vouchers
    but to verbally abuse a member of staff who has zero control over the issue and is unlikely to have a job at the end of the month is bad enough, yet alone advocating shoplifting.
    everyone needs to take a chill pill, there are much more important things in life than material posessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I'd imagine they freeze as much of the money going out on stock as possible, and try to sell what they have to put themselves in a more favourable position. Hence why they won't accept gift vouchers.

They shouldn't sell vouchers that they either A) can't accept or B) know that the person will be left with an worthless piece of card in a few weeks

In regards buying vouchers, or anything for that matter with a card at POS, using your a VISA (credit or debit) is the way to go. With the economy the way it is, it shocks me to see people at tills buying with laser cards, the sooner the dinosaur that is laser becomes extinct, the better... You just dont have the same protection with laser at all!!

Anyone with a laser card, needs to get rid of it ASAP and get a VISA debit or switch to a bank that offers them. You can't do a chargeback on laser at all, there's little to no protection for the consumer if you have an issue with the goods afterwards, it's effectively the same as paying cash, i.e, we have your money, so long and good luck!

They shouldn't sell vouchers that they either A) can't accept or B) know that the person will be left with an worthless piece of card in a few weeks

Of course not, I wasn't saying that they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

yet alone advocating shoplifting.
    everyone needs to take a chill pill, there are much more important things in life than material posessions.

Jebus Christ nobody was advocating shoplifting, it was a story about Comet customers nothing more! ...what options do people in possession of gift vouchers have in terms of getting some recompense? It seems a charge back is the only way to proceed?

Yeah its crappy that people are gonna lose their jobs, they can join the other hundreds of thousands out of work now. Sure enough there's no point being hostile with staff members, but its no excuse for a store to rip people off either.

• Advertisement

its not the person behind the counter in hmv that is at fault obviously but they could have at least given people 24-48 hours to utilise their vouchers before making them void...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

I Have vouchers worth 250 euro,they were paid for with cash,by the sounds of they are worthless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

SachaJ wrote: »
    Just rang my bank and they said to send in a letter requesting a charge back and it should be processed.

Can you get a refund from a Visa Debit or is it just from Visa Credit Cards.

(I bought someone a voucher on my Visa Debit card and she hasn't used it yet)

1865 wrote: »
    Can you get a refund from a Visa Debit or is it just from Visa Credit Cards.

(I bought someone a voucher on my Visa Debit card and she hasn't used it yet)
    SachaJ wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not that I'm encouraging shoplifting but if you tried to use a €50 voucher but got refused so walked out with the goods anyway, by the time any court case came around would there be anyone there to be a witness for HMV in court? The security guard and the rwst of the staff will be long gone and won't care about HMV any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Not that I'm encouraging shoplifting but if you tried to use a €50 voucher but got refused so walked out with the goods anyway, by the time any court case came around would there be anyone there to be a witness for HMV in court? The security guard and the rwst of the staff will be long gone and won't care about HMV any more.
    Thats good thinkin actually, worth the risk imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A mod encouraging illegal behaviour:eek::confused:

If you know they dont accept vouchers and then walk out with the goods, its theft...plain as.

If you know they dont accept vouchers and then walk out with the goods, its theft...plain as.

True. But so is taking peoples money in lieu of an unusable voucher

EnterNow wrote: »

Perhaps that conversation belongs in your forum "mysteries of the unexplained":rolleyes:

Perhaps that conversation belongs in your forum "mysteries of the unexplained":rolleyes:

Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

As the original poster I guess the answer is yes , they are fcuked !
    The love/ hate was the biggest clue people.
    They might under some deal with the admin/ examinor keep three large Irish stores but the regional ones are gonzo . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was only joking. Of course it's theft

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

abacus120 wrote: »
    I Have vouchers worth 250 euro,they were paid for with cash,by the sounds of they are worthless!!!

I will offer you €50 for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

That is certainly not "theft"

If you buy a voucher for any retailer you are taking a risk. Nowhere is going to stop selling vouchers on the basis that they might be in trouble. Their suppliers and creditors would immediately call in their debts and force the chain to close immediately. Any there is hardly any retailer who could be described as rock solid.

It is unfortunate for anyone caught up in this mess, but this is why people should stop buying vouchers.

Skid wrote: »
    That is certainly not "theft"

If you buy a voucher for any retailer you are taking a risk. Nowhere is going to stop selling vouchers on the basis that they might be in trouble. Their suppliers and creditors would immediately call in their debts and force the chain to close immediately. Any there is hardly any retailer who could be described as rock solid.

It is unfortunate for anyone caught up in this mess, but this is why people should stop buying vouchers.

It may not technically be theft, but it sure feels like it when you have a voucher sitting here knowing the money that bought it is in the till in HMV.

I agree re vouchers, unfortunately this was a gift from a family member to my son so nothing much I can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - Please, no more suggestions of THEFT (because that is what it is). Boards does not condone criminal activity.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Give Vouchers are risk no matter, I think everyone needs to chill.
    At least wait thill HMV decide if they can come out of this somehow.

HMV is a HUGE loss, its about the only good Shop I like to visit in Cork City anymore,
    Since GAME went, GAMESTOP just became consumed with Greed!!! 70E CoD for Wii U, yet 49e in HMV
    Wii U 380e Preorder HMV 425e Gamestop!!! It was price they honored when must thought they wouldnt.

HMV Have been brilliant last 12 months. And couldnt praise the Shop more.
    And Staff have been really helpful with everything.

On a Positive note is their any better deals to be had instores due to Administration?
    Tempted to go into town for a look if worth picking up some god bargins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Onto the NCA. They said we have two choices:
    1. Charge back if a credit or debit card was used
    2. Wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just back from Grafton St store and he said that the system is locked down re giftcard\vouchers and that they can teven work on a case by case basis - he also confirmed that HMV were selling giftcards up until close of business last night! :eek: He only found out they were going into administration or whatever its called last night on the news.

• Advertisement

Why's that?

We'll never know if they knowingly sold vouchers that would be worthless...an unexplained mystery.....ranks alongside bottler,rasher and hatchet explaining confirmation to the bishop (a la Brendan Grace ):D

Advertisement