Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very old family dog is ill

• 25-12-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi there and happy christmas,

Just got a call from my Mother who says our dog had been vomiting and now his abdomen is severly swollen. He is not in any obvious pain but is "uncomfortable" according to my mother. He turned 17 this summer with no real health issues until recently. He also suffers with diarrhea recently which is ongoing.

I think its time to put him out of his misery but my Mother treats him like her fifth child and wont even discuss it without breaking down.

Has anyone any experience with their pets having a bloated abdomen.....a quick search on google tells me its pretty dangerous especially at his age.

Trying to get a hold of a vet at moment....no joy as yet. Any vets on here or someone that can give general advice would be great.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Where are you based Devereux? At 17, with symptoms like that i wouldn't be hanging around to be honest. Most vets have an emergency on call number, keep trying. Sorry to be so blunt, but this isn't something to "wait and see" and im not generally one to recommend the vet first off, so please tell your mam that he IS uncomfortable and more than likely in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

That dog need to get to an out-of-hours vet NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Update:

Vet was out to see him soon after i posted thread. Gave him some injections (anti-biotics I think) and some other meds. Not sure of details until I speak to my mother later.

When he took his temperature via his backside he passed a huge amount of gas. He is also to fast for 24hrs.

Thanks for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    Update:

When he took his temperature via his backside he passed a huge amount of gas.

Glad you managed to get him some help :)

Fair play to the vet ........... although I can picture him taking the thermometer out !

Fingers crossed for you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hope the doggy is okay OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

hope your dog gets better, let us all know how he gets on

Advertisement