Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding party venue

Options
  • 25-12-2012 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi looking for ideas on where to have a large wedding party (as getting married abroad ) ? We would prefer if it was in the Kilkenny area .Would be great if we could hire a venue and BYO wine etc ...we want to have a BBQ or something like that that won't break the bank .Any suggestions greatly appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We got married abroad and were going to have a party when we came back. Now the trick with the hotels is that when they hear the word "wedding" some kind of weird distortion field takes over their basic math skills and suddenly the everything doubles in price.

I decided instead of my then finance and I talking to hotels I would bring my brother along to the same venues and ask them for quotes for a "big family reunion". Voila, suddenly half what they were quoting for the same basic services of food etc than that of a wedding.

We booked a well known Kilkenny hotel for this "family reunion", which is half true, booked a band, bought our own wine etc. We did our own flowers from lidl etc. I don't know why but in the end they didn't charge us for the bar extension or corkage, I guess as we weren't on their books as a wedding they weren't on the prowl for easy money. We paid the duty manage that night with the cash we got as presents, got our receipt and went on our merry way.

I still feel pissed of that Ireland can be like that, every hotel was the same except Langtons who were actually the most reasonably priced and upfront of the lot. We still did it for a lot less though than any "wedding" package.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How large a party?The Lord Bagnel in Leighlinbridge is worth considering.

Advertisement