Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalkey Christmas Eve session

Options
  • 25-12-2012 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, does anyone know the origins of this? As in, why Christmas Eve and why Dalkey, specifically?

This has become an absolutely massive thing among pretty much everyone I know from all over the general DL/Rathdown Area, from Blackrock to Bray. Everyone congregates in Dalkey's pubs on Christmas Eve, you see people who've been away and are home for Christmas, reunions all over the place etc. It's almost like a mini Stephen's Day Races sort of thing.

Does anyone know when this tradition started and why specifically people chose Dalkey as the best place to have this kind of en masse pub crawl? I mean I love it, I always have a great time going up for a couple of hours on Christmas Eve, just wondering why Dalkey is the place to be as opposed to anywhere else in the general DL/Rathdown vicinity. People seem to come from all over the county for Christmas Eve in Dalkey.

Where did this start? Is there any kind of story behind it or is it just one of those things which was started by a few people and snowballed over the years?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

every pub in the areas have a huge following, its not Dalkey specific. Tho Dalkey has the advantage of a fair few close together thus the large volume there I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

the nature of dalkey i'd say, the way its designed suits a large congregation li8ke what happens on xmas eve. tbh it was good the first time i went, but boring the last 2 years.

Advertisement