Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone warehouse gave me a locked phone?

Options
  • 25-12-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,
    So for christmas i got a Sony Xperia U st25i from carphone warehouse Ireland. I chose an upgrade package on vodafone which is my current network and put in my number which they asked for the "upgrade". And so today when i opened the phone up and started to set it up it asked for a "sim unlock" code after i put in my Vodafone ie sim. I wasent given any code and thought i was just buying the phone for Vodafone Ireland. I know there was some problem with the stock so would they have shipped me a UK locked phone? I have no idea what to do at this point they have just been so much trouble to order with!

I am grateful for any advice :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

CianS wrote: »
    Hello,
    So for christmas i got a Sony Xperia U st25i from carphone warehouse Ireland. I chose an upgrade package on vodafone which is my current network and put in my number which they asked for the "upgrade". And so today when i opened the phone up and started to set it up it asked for a "sim unlock" code after i put in my Vodafone ie sim. I wasent given any code and thought i was just buying the phone for Vodafone Ireland. I know there was some problem with the stock so would they have shipped me a UK locked phone? I have no idea what to do at this point they have just been so much trouble to order with!

I am grateful for any advice :)
    Thanks

You're sure it isn't just looking for the 4 digit code that may be on the card that your SIM came in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CianS

Ive looked it up on the internet and so far its all telling me that its the network unlock code to unlock it from a single network! And Ive had my sim for years now so i couldent find that code if i tryed :/. I thought itd be as easy as putting in my sim and going! Ive tryed newer vodaphone ireland sims now and it wont work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Just be careful not to try to enter too many incorrect codes so - some makers have a "3 invalid entries" limit.

They'll surely sort you in the shop whenever it opens.

Hopefully, just annoying that i cant use it now :/ Oh well

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

CianS wrote: »
    And so today when i opened the phone up and started to set it up it asked for a "sim unlock" code after i put in my Vodafone ie sim. I wasent given any code and thought i was just buying the phone for Vodafone Ireland. I know there was some problem with the stock so would they have shipped me a UK locked phone?

A sim unlock code would almost definitely be your pin. Did they give you a replacement sim card as well. The Default Pin for new generic sims on Vodafone is "0000".

Id doubt you would be given a UK based phone. Simple reason is CPW use different suppliers for Vodafone compared to meteor and o2, I think its fonnua. Fonnua are owned by Vodafone, partly or mostly.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Most CPW handsets are unlocked unless you're using Three or Vodafone "3G" sim, I have been told the other day. So Meteor/o2 sim cards will work, where Vodafone and Three won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Call Vodafone 1747, they are working today.

I tryed my pin and "0000" already and neither worked. I have a pin on my sim and i have to input that just before it askes for this "network unlock pin". I didnt get any new sim card, i still have my old one.

Im about to call and ask now :) Thanks for letting me know they're open today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tansed

Please let me know how you get on as I got the sony xperia u also and put my old sim card that i have had for years into the new phone and then it says sim netowrk unlock pin...so let me know or ill give a ring tomorrow myself...

tansed wrote: »
    Please let me know how you get on as I got the sony xperia u also and put my old sim card that i have had for years into the new phone and then it says sim netowrk unlock pin...so let me know or ill give a ring tomorrow myself...

I rang up vodaphone and explained, they told me that my sim had not been upgraded to allow for a sony xperia phone to be used, so they upgraded it. (apperently carphone warehouse dident contact them). But even that dident work, so they asked for my IMEI number on my phone, which i gave, and they siad they would contact sony and text me a code within 2 weeks :) So hopefully this is sorted, still an annoying problem though! Hope itll work for both of us :D
    Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement