Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

596 illegal weapons seized in year

Options
  • 25-12-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/596-illegal-weapons-seized-084255896.html

A haul of almost 600 illegal and dangerous weapons has been seized by Customs this year, with an AK-47, a sub-machine gun, ninja-style throwing stars and samurai swords among the most lethal.

The Revenue Commissioners revealed that officers made 165 seizures up to mid-December, with 596 weapons prevented from reaching the streets.

The most deadly haul was recovered in May and included the AK-47 assault rifle and sub-machine gun, an automatic rifle, a bolt-action rifle, a pistol and three magazines of ammunition.

Customs said the cache came into the country from Germany and was valued at 1,137 euro.

The most expensive seizure was 61 weapons used by fans of the war games phenomenon - billed as the reality of war without the danger. The replica guns included 48 rifles and a dozen revolvers from Hong Kong valued at 6,000 euro with the Airsoft make. The guns are not illegal in Ireland but agents selling weapons have enforced a tagging system supported by Government to monitor the replica guns used.

The Customs report on illegal weapons also revealed 43 items of what officers classed as military memorabilia, but still illegal.

They included a Browning 50mm machine gun, rifles known as K-98, Ross and Valmet, a Mauser semi-automatic, a Webley and Scott revolver, a Webley MK1V and associated extras such as tripod stands. The weapons were given a nominal value of one euro.

There was a large number of unusual seizures, such as a sword concealed in a black walking stick, a modified silencer and a pair of sabre claws, as featured in The Chronicles Of Riddick film starring Vin Diesel.

Many varieties of illegal knives, such as flick, stiletto and butterfly knives, machetes, samurai and katana swords and a Gurkha sword from India were seized. The list also included 40 lasers, 20 Taser-style weapons, 37 stun guns and more than 30 signal and mobile phone jammers.

Two boxes of meat cleavers were impounded, the Customs review said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

illegal and dangerous?

a lot of the seizures were airsoft toys, and as for the value of an Ak-47, a bolt action rifle a sub machine gun an automatic rifle and a pistol coming to the grand total of €1137?

Makes me think this is a lazy piece of journalism , posting a customs press release ,trying to justify the existance of these customs officers - protecting us from the menace of decomissioned 50 cal machine guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They are protecting us from the roaming bands of ninjas silly.:rolleyes: There are so many ninja star attacks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed thankfully since "death stars" as they are called in the act are banned that will make Darth Vader and the Imperial storm troopers think twice about destroying the Earth!!!:D:D:D:D.

You would be the most unluckiest person in the world to be killed with one of those throwing stars,Hollywood nothwithstanding.:rolleyes:

The most deadly haul was recovered in May and included the AK-47 assault rifle and sub-machine gun, an automatic rifle, a bolt-action rifle, a pistol and three magazines of ammunition.
    Customs said the cache came into the country from Germany and was valued at 1,137 euro.

THATS pretty cheap for a bunch of black market guns!!!
    AKs generally rock out at 8/9 thousand euros on the black market in Holland.About half that up in the Kalinningrad/ Lithuanian/Polish border.
    Street rumour has it that the only reason we dont see many more shotings at the moment is ammo is in short supply on the street in Ireland.There are apprently offers of over six thousand euros for 100 rounds of 9mm:eek::eek::eek:
    Its also apprently why the pipe bomb has come into fashion.
    Cheaper,easily built here at home from plenty of piping,more destructive,less risk,and easier to home brew the explosives.

So I guess we had better introduce "tough new laws":rolleyes::rolleyes: for liscensing of plumbers and the possesion of piping and their fittings.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I find the 50mm Browning machine gun the most amazing, don't think the folks in Liege knew they actually sold a yoke like that....

A 50 MM Browning Machine gun?????Oh my!!!:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I wonder if the bolt action rifle was a 308mm!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Longranger wrote: »
    I wonder if the bolt action rifle was a 308mm!

In fairness, firearms with odd calibres aren't that rare in Ireland. Once upon a time I got a Europass for a bolt action rifle in calibre "105". No mention whether it was 105mm, 105" or 105 gauge. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Yep, I was licensed for a semi-automatic 22mm rifle one time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

airsoft guns are part of the "weapons" seized :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'...rifles known as K-98, Ross and Valmet, a Mauser semi-automatic, a Webley and Scott revolver, a Webley MK1V and associated extras such as tripod stands. The weapons were given a nominal value of one euro.'

The Ross would have been a very interesting buy for somebody in the VCRAI to acquire legally, as neither the original calibre [.280 Ross] nor the subsequent version [.303] are restricted. The K98 [note correct designation] ARE restricted, but they might have been nice to see on the legal market after AGS have finished 'arresting them and putting them in prison for a while'. The VALMET rifles are likely to have been Finnish-built Mosin-Nagants - m/38 or similar - and would have been nice to see.

tac

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    In fairness, firearms with odd calibres aren't that rare in Ireland. Once upon a time I got a Europass for a bolt action rifle in calibre "105". No mention whether it was 105mm, 105" or 105 gauge. :D

Was that with or without the tank it was stripped from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Was wondering why me butcher was tearing the sirloins apart bare handed last week..

'hdz

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Was that with or without the tank it was stripped from ?

Without.

Unfortunately. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

chem wrote: »
    ninja-style throwing among the most lethal.

I stopped reading at the "Ninja Stars" line TBH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Am I missing something here or are they missing a zero? If not that should be posted in the bargain alerts section.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Seriously... I really dont think anyone can call an airsoft toy; a "Weapon"?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Seriously... I really dont think anyone can call an airsoft toy; a "Weapon"?

:confused:

They must have seized them because they were over 1 joule so they became unlicenced firearms upon importation according to Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/596-illegal-weapons-seized-084255896.html

The Customs report on illegal weapons also revealed 43 items of what officers classed as military memorabilia, but still illegal.

They included a Browning 50mm machine gun, rifles known as K-98, Ross and Valmet, a Mauser semi-automatic, a Webley and Scott revolver, a Webley MK1V and associated extras such as tripod stands. The weapons were given a nominal value of one euro.

I wonder if these were deactivated firearms?

It would be an example of no matter if they are deactivated, you cannot import one without the proper importation authorisation (it's the same one you use for functioning firearms) and own one without a letter of authorisation from your local Superintendent.

Got to wonder how much stuff got thru if thats all they found??

As usual Ireland is the selected exception to the rest of the EU..
    Only country that needs a liscense for awkward to use high tech clubs,because thats about all you can do with a deact for harming somone.:rolleyes:
    Unless you happen to be a qualified machineist and have a lathe and milling machine in the garage and experiance in making guns ,and in that case,why not just build yourself a functioning SMG from the get go if you intend to do somthing illegal with it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Unless you happen to be a qualified machineist and have a lathe and milling machine in the garage and experiance in making guns ,and in that case,why not just build yourself a functioning SMG from the get go if you intend to do somthing illegal with it???

Thats what the nazis discovered with the various resistance groups like the maquis making stens etc during the war. If someone seriously wants a firearm they will always get one.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got to wonder how much stuff got thru if thats all they found??

As usual Ireland is the selected exception to the rest of the EU..
    Only country that needs a liscense for awkward to use high tech clubs,because thats about all you can do with a deact for harming somone.:rolleyes:

Plenty of that has been going on back in the day up North...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Plenty of that has been going on back in the day up North...

Harland and wolfe specials.

Ulster funnyguns was another...;)
    But the sentiments are true,if anyone needs a gun bad enough they will get one,or many as the case maybe.People have built them in maximum security prisions like San Quientin,or massed produced them in the Warsaw ghetto right under the Nazis noses.:p

Go to the border of Afghanistan/Pakistan in the Darra region or the Phillipines and see brilliantly executed copies of any Eastern/Western gun out there,right down to the proof marks,being built by lads and kids with hand tools that work 100%.Test fire them in the street by doing a "Bagdad unload". Point barrel 90deg upwards,pull trigger until magazine is empty.:eek::D
    Point is,why would you need a deact if you intend to go and comit harm???:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lads, I can't even see sports or hunting from here and I think we've covered the slim tangent from the OP that came near our stuff, so let's leave it there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement