Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats Annoying Dogs

• 25-12-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

My neighbour got two cats, thay have started coming into our garden and getting up on our sitting room window sill. My dog went nuts and thrashed the sitting room trying to get out at them.
    The cat sits on the sill purring and rubbing up against the window, like it's deliberately winding up the dog.

I have kept the dog out of the sitting room now but how can I get the dog more used to cats, the neighbour is an old widow and i'm not going to hassle her over it, I can just make adjustments or try to desensitise the dogs,
    what can anyone suggest.

It's a rottie and a jack russell, both nuetered bitches and over 4 years with no cat experience.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You could perhaps try putting some type of cat deterrent on the window sill, or going out and removing the cat yourself when he arrives. My dogs live with 4 cats but they would go ballistic at a strange cat (or even a regular semi-strange visiting cat!) sitting on our window sill winding them up - so best maybe to try to break the cats habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I got about 50 pigeons who pop on down to my back garden for breakfast.
    Also got a load of feeders out in the bushes etc.

The cats have been coming too trying to stalk out the pigeons, particularly my next door neighbours cat.

I also like the cat and am friendly with the neighbours too so I had to find an amicable way of sorting this.

As a deterrent I get the garden hose out, it dosent do the cat the slightest harm apart from getting wet.
    At this stage all I need to do is turn the tap on and the cat is gone like a bullet.

I told my neighbour that I will run the hose spray over the cats stalking spots , and the cat won't be comfortable settling or lying on a wet patch or wet bush.

So far its worked out fine and despite it all the cat still likes me too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I had at one stage bought the 'cat paste deterrent' from the pet shop , ...

I decided to test it on the neighbours cat by calling him over and unscrewing the cap and wafted it under the cat's nose.

The bloody cat loved the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The cat sits on the sill purring and rubbing up against the window, like it's deliberately winding up the dog.

The cats sit on the window laughing at the dogs as the dogs wreck the place trying to get at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Access Denied

The cats sit on the window laughing at the dogs as the dogs wreck the place trying to get at them?

Yes, and the real ironic kick in the bum is that I got the two cats for the neighbour, the cats came from a house with a dog so they don't mind dogs.

My dogs did sleep in the living room but I've rearranged that so at least that's solved. They go nuts running up and down by the fence(they're secured in my garden by chainlink) as the cats sometimes sleep in a shed at the back of our yard.

I've said it to the neighbour in a humourous way, she just thinks it's funny, she's too old to by annoying her with it. We got the cats neutered for her and look after the cats vet needs etc, on a side note, do cats need flea drops, I've wormed them already.

It's my oldest dog(7) that gets the most agitated, I keep her in during the day anyway as she has arthritis but just had to get up as she was going mad at the front door where she now sleeps( on a couch..spoilt git:rolleyes:)even though the cat wasn't there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 I smell bad!!!

Put some chili/pepper powder on the window sill. It will causes discomfort to the cats and they will quickly learn not to jump on the window sill. It won't cause them harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Its lovely that you're helping the elderly lady and the cats. With regards to flea drops, we get Advocate from our vets. It's basically a spot on treatment that covers fleas, ear mites and worms. I find it the easiest of the lot to use and my chaps have never had a bad reaction to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd say the easiest way would probably be to fill the window sill with pots of plants, cacti or succulents like hen-and-chicks would certainly dissuade the cats from sitting there.You could also train climbing plants up your chainlink fence to screen the cats from the dogs' view.

Advertisement