Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuning tv to UPC?

• 25-12-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I just got a tv that says it can autoatically tune to freeview channels, and it brings up UPC when its says tuning (we are on UPC) But I don't actually know how, it brings up stuff asking like network ID, and fequency. So, my questions are

1. Do I need to plug the tv into an actual aerial cable?
    2. Where do I find the network ID, and the frequencies needed for the channels?Its kinda confusing. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

You do t need to tune in upc, connect the tv to the upc box, via either scary or hdmi and press the "av" button on your tv remote to select input from either av(scart) or hdmi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Do I need to keep it connected, or is it a one time thing? And it can be done with a HDMI cable?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Do I need to keep it connected, or is it a one time thing? And it can be done with a HDMI cable?

Depends if you've a hdmi upc box. If you do then connect via hdmi. If you don't have the hdmi slot in upc box then connect with scart cable and flick to av on remote . Extremely easy to do

You need to keep it connected

Ah ****. We have a separate UPC box, but it seems we're lacking a power cable. Any way to do it wirelessly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your TV has a DVB-C tuner, but UPC don't release a CAM so you can't use it for the digital.

There is no way to power the UPC box wirelessly, the cable in question is a bog standard IEC figure-8 cable which you should be able to borrow off a radio or pretty much any other unearthed small electrical appliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're in most cable areas (except Cork where it's digital-only) you should still have access to UPC analogue channels.

Set your TV to analogue and tune and you'll get about 12-16 channels.

They've no unencrypted digital TV services, so you absolutely need their set top box to view anything digital.

I have the box plugged in now, but there's no signal strength on the box obviously, unless I can do it wirelessly.

I have the box plugged in now, but there's no signal strength on the box obviously, unless I can do it wirelessly.

I don't really understand what you're trying to do.

The UPC Mediabox is just a set-top box for viewing cable TV services, it has to be connected to your incoming UPC cable line with a coaxial cable that usually has a screw-on type F-Connector. You cannot use it wirelessly as there are no signals for it to receive other than those coming through a cable line.

There's a LOT of bandwidth required to carry the full range of SD and HD cable channels. It can't really be done wirelessly in your house. Although you can get a digi-sender which will send the channel currently set on the cable box to another location in your house over a local network. Or, you can do it across your ethernet network in your house too with some devices. It's not a great solution though.

It connects to your TV either with a HDMI cable for HD or a SCART cable for older TVs that don't support HD.

If you're talking about a UPC cable modem, that should be connected to the incoming line via a splitter (supplied with the box) and you can then connect your laptop/PC/Mac/PS3/etc either via WiFi or a hardwired eithernet connection.

What are you trying to do wirelessly? Whatever it is, you can't...

You plug the connection from the UPC point (right hand output usually) to the connector on the back of the UPC box, and then you connect the UPC box to the TV using HDMI. This needs to stay permanently set up.

edit: is it possible you are trying to set up a *second* TV (christmas present or similar)? If you want UPC Digital, you need a multiroom sub (5er a month and 45 setup fee); if you just want analogue you need a splitter and a cable run to the new location.

• Advertisement

Trying to tune channels wirelessly, if possible. It said the tv has a built in digital tuner, but I'm not getting anything.

You cannot tune in channels wirelessly.

The digital tuner in the TV is of no use for UPC as it does not have the decryption capabilities. All you will get is analogue (with a cable) or digital via a UPC box.

The only channels you can 'tune wirelessly' are broadcast channels on air sent by your local television transmitter tower. That's known as Saorview in Ireland.

If you plug a small antenna into the back of your TV, you can tune into those (depending on signal strength).

UPC is a *cable service*. They use high-bandwidth coaxial cables to carry their signals in a closed network. They are not broadcasting on air and you cannot tune into their services in any other way than by connecting directly to the cable line.

All of their digital services are 100% encrypted, so you need to have their set-top-box to receive them too. Your TV may see the network if you plug it in to the cable line as it may have a DVB-C (Cable) tuner built in, but it will not be able to decrypt them as UPC do not provide unencrypted TV nor do they provide separate decoders that you can add to your TV.

So basically I need to plug the UPC box in a room with an aerial cable?

You need to plug the UPC box into the UPC socket on the wall / window sill.

Otherwise, it's a glorified paper weight.

Not an aerial cable, a UPC cable.

What set-up did you *before* getting the new TV?

Just follow these instructions :

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/279

There are video demos on here too : http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/helpdemos/

You'll also need your activation code for your area, available here : http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

The term Freeview applies to the UK and North of Ireland, down here its called Saorview, so yes you need an Aerial, pending on your location you might get away with something as simple as this or your going to need an external aerial.

If you tell us the make and model number of the TV someone can tell you what to expect...

What current channels do you have now...?

Are you a sky customer or with UPC?

I'm with UPC, its a phillips tv.

For Digital UPC:

[UPC Socket on Wall]
    > [UPC Box]
    > [Telly HDMI socket (SCART on old TVs)]

For Analogue UPC:

[UPC Socket on Wall]
    > [Telly's Aerial Socket on back]
    (Tune in the TV's analogue channels menu, not Digital!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable.

How do I get the free freeview channels then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

How do I get the free freeview channels then?

I'm guessing I'm not the only person confused by your posts! What do you mean by "freeview"?

Freeview is a UK digital terrestrial service. For that you require an aerial connected to your TV, and to be in an over-spill area along the N.I. border, or some spots along the East coast.

If you mean Saorview (the Irish digital service giving you RTE/TV3/TG4), you need an aerial of some sort connected to TV.

However, if you just mean RTEs/BBCs/TV3/TG4/ITV/Ch4 from your existing UPC subscription, then you have descriptions above on how to receive those. Those channels are on analogue (aerial from the UPC outlet on the wall to your TV), and digital (aerial from wall to UPC set-top box which is, in turn, connected to TV).

What "freeview" channels are you referring to, and you'll get much clearer answers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All the channels available on the Irish DTT service, Saorview, are also available on UPC. You will only be missing Digital Aertel (which is being ported over at some point) and the RTÉ Gold radio service (listen online if you really want to but there are plenty of ILRs with similar playlists).

If you are referring to the UK Freeview service, well most of the channels on that are on UPC too. You can only pick up Freeview in some parts of the Republic, generally near the Border or on the east coast. In other parts of the country you would need a satellite dish and receiver to pick up UK-based free to air services on Astra.

Advertisement