Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Books

Options
  • 25-12-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Anyone get any good books or books they really wanted for christmas?
    None myself yet, though we have a kitchen library in work where I picked up a copy of 1599 A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare by James Shapiro.

So unless somebody gives me a new book later that will be my Christmas reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Well I got A Bowl of Cherries by Shena Mackay - a writer I love and The Re-enchantment of Art by Suzie Gablik which I'm reading half for college and half for myself so I'm happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Commanders of WW2. It should be enjoyable enough to read descriptions of generals/politicians during WW2 but also a nice reference book for any slightly more obscure names I encounter in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Yes! I have the 50th anniversary edition of Lord of the Rings which I bought myself for Christmas last year. This year I was given The Hobbit Collector's Edition by my darling wife.

Despite reading it a few months ago (for the fifth time or thereabouts) I'm on page 110 and determined to finish it today. :)

602914_10151285480962420_709117911_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

got some great books all of which I wanted.

I keep a list of books I want to read and have it stuck on my bedroom wall, I add to it as the year goes by and cross off stuff that I've purchased or read during the year. Then come December it's quite easy for my family to know what to get me.

I got:
    End Game - The spectacular rise and fall of bobby fischer
    the life of pi
    the secret race - tyler hamilton
    blow - george jung
    Born to Run

Then yesterday I ordered - Ulysses, Shaquille O Neal Autobiography and Dantes Inferno!!!

Have the secret race read. Will tuck into the life of pi next.

I literally have about 30 books to read now so I won't be buying anymore until I've got through all of them.

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Of my haul,
    The Hobbit, in Latin.
    Latest book on Christmas by the Pope.
    And the Rivers of London series, very enjoyable urban fantasy read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Manach wrote: »
    Of my haul,
    The Hobbit, in Latin.
    Latest book on Christmas by the Pope.
    And the Rivers of London series, very enjoyable urban fantasy read.

I'm curious as to what possessed you to get The Hobbit in Latin?

Advertisement