Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion to counter cyber Bullying

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

I attended a talk by a guy from Barnardos who told us of a teacher in a school that had implemented what sounds like a great system. Every Friday each pupil was given an envelope with a page listing some questions: Are you being buillied by anyone and have you seen someone being bullied and by who AFAIR.

Everyone had to place the envelope in a box on Monday (compulsory but anonymous) even if nothing was written. The results were collated and it seemed to work as Bullies were identified and dealt with.
    they has this in my lads class last year and it worked very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Jogathon wrote: »
    Yes, but schools are not allowed to share that information with any outside agency without the express written permission of both parents. Schools also do not have childrens' mobile numbers, but have the parents contact details. This would be an outside agency and I can't imagine parents allowing their child's number to be known to the school, and definitely not to an outside agency.

The system I've proposed ensures only the school has the number, the agency does not.

I still stand by the system, as it is a sort of "panic button" where a student can offload pressure if they feel overwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Methememb wrote: »
    All of the VEC schools already have servers for facilities such as e portal

I understand that only 25% of secondary school children attend VEC schools.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I understand that only 25% of secondary school children attend VEC schools.

The point is, the technology is not outside the reach of secondary schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The point is, the technology is not outside the reach of secondary schools

No, but as I said the difference is costs is substantial depending on the solution architecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some studies suggest bullying isn't always a bad thing, it's down to how patents allow their children to cope and deal with bullies. Some kids will be a better person after it. It will also help raise up their friends confidence.
    Counselling or Facebook weren't hideouts when I was in school, you eventually stood your ground, it might of hurt but when a bully learns they can easily get a clatter there not long about stoping.
    A bully reminds me of a shark, it'll always grab the easy meal but if they get a thump on the nose they won't be in a rush for a second bite.

@op paying 50 a pop, I'd drag that young fella home to his dad by the ear and tell him to sort the little **** out or you will. If your not the kind of person who can do that ask one of your mates I'm sure one of them would love the chance as a lot of us went through a bit of bullying at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I still stand by the system, as it is a sort of "panic button" where a student can offload pressure if they feel overwhelmed.

It would be very open to abuse though. Lets say you and I are in school together, and I get my hands on your phone and send a bullying text to my phone. I could then send that text to your proposed system and get you in trouble very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You could teach kids to cope. After all, bullying is not a new phenomenon, but it is the kid's reaction to the bullying that has changed. IMO, it is the kid's inability to cope with what is mostly banter that has changed, due to them being mollycoddled and not learning any life skills.
    I think that all the suggestions mooted so far just go to further the mollycoddling of the 'victim'. Whatever happened to standing up to bullies ?

No that is just plain wrong. Bullying is a form of assault that as you said has been around for some time.

But so has child abuse and we are just getting around to dealing with that properly in recent years. You wouldn't tell a child that is being abused that it is their inability to cope that is the problem! That they are being mollycoddled and not learning life skills ffs!

Absolutely deal with the bully - hard and fast. The bully is the one that is the problem. There needs to be zero tolerance of this type of behaviour and not the general naysaying that goes on around this issue.

Bullying happens at all levels - to children and adults. It is quite incredible that if someone punches you once - they can be prosecuted. But a person can bully / psychologically assault another person over a lengthy period and the victim is just told to get on with it!

Yes by all means stand up to the bullies - but the problem is that under the current situation no one can touch them or else they will have you up in court.

Bullying behaviour needs to be criminalised to allow victims of vicious bullying behaviour to report and stop it and to act as a deterrent to those who would use such behaviour against others.

It would be very open to abuse though. Lets say you and I are in school together, and I get my hands on your phone and send a bullying text to my phone. I could then send that text to your proposed system and get you in trouble very easily.

True, but in the same way I can punch myself in the eye and say you did it.

True, but in the same way I can punch myself in the eye and say you did it.

:confused: Eh, no not really. What I suggested doesn't require you to punch yourself in the face.

• Advertisement

:confused: Eh, no not really. What I suggested doesn't require you to punch yourself in the face.

No - It requires more effort, getting the other person's phone.

No - It requires more effort, getting the other person's phone.

Wouldn't be hard to get someone's phone off them while they are in school. People might leave their phones in their bags or in their coats (on the backs of their chairs). Pretty easy to lift I would imagine.

The other problem is the reverse of this situation - a kid sends a bullying message, but claims that someone else did it on his/her phone without them knowing. Can't really prove them wrong (unless they make it obvious by sending a load of them).

Besides that, I think having an anonymous system is a bad idea anyway. We should be encouraging kids to take an active part in the pursuit of their own happiness, in regards countering bullying, even if that is only to the point that they tell a teacher or adult they trust. An anonymous system puts a disconnect between the kid calling for help, and help coming. It would make the help as impersonal as a pizza ordered by phone. But by telling someone in person, the kid is connected (even in a little way) to a more personal process, they can feel like the did something to protect themselves. This self empowerment is important, when you are an adult you have to protect yourself pro-actively.

Fair point. However, those who don't have the courage to approach a teacher directly would benefit greatly from this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am currently working on a thesis on a tool that would detect the presence of cyberbullying content on a webpage. Similar to Net Nanny, web sense etc would block p0rn or similar. I am looking for an internet forum that would have a lot of this type of behaviour to test the tool or else transcripts of cyberbullying cases.

Chatrooms like chatavenue could be a place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I would like to concentrate on message boards as it's easier to manage. perverted justice have transcripts that were used in cases but I am looking for the same but in respect to cyberbullying. I actually want like 50 threads of cyberbullying and 50 that are not to test the tool.

Advertisement