Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changed power supply from 250v to 115v on my old pc

Options
  • 25-12-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

i was messing around with my pc and changed the voltage on the back of the unit from 250 volts to 115...now i noticed there is smoke coming out of the pc power supply..i immediately pligged out the pc...does this mean that the pc power supply is broken...i am afraid to plug back in the pc to see what happens...any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you switched to 115v, then the PC was hit with 250v, this would fry it. Depending how good the PSU is, the internal PSU fuse might have saved your motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

so would i be safe to turn the pc back on again..it is back at 250volt now....

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

No you have blown capacitors inside. New PSU unless you're handy with a soldering iron and electronics.

is there a way i can tell if the motherboard is damaged or if it just the psu that is damaged...there was smoke coming from the psu at the time...but there is no smoke coming now from the psu..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

thebourke wrote: »
    so would i be safe to turn the pc back on again..it is back at 250volt now....

why would you want to turn it back on, PSU is damaged.
    thebourke wrote: »
    is there a way i can tell if the motherboard is damaged or if it just the psu that is damaged...there was smoke coming from the psu at the time...but there is no smoke coming now from the psu..

once the tower is opened, the PSU is in a sealed container, which can be opened, but some are fiddly to open. You can easily see if something is amiss, but only open if you know your way around electronics.

Smoke is a sure sign the PSU is damaged. A new PSU would be needed, but then you'd only know if the motherboard was fine. The motherboard has a lot of intricate components any of which could be damaged.

Your best bet is to hand this into a repair shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Highly unlikely the motherboard is damaged; I would think at worst you blew one or more caps inside the psu, damaged the wiring and naturally the fuse. It's a PSU replacement if you are confident in doing it.

does it make a difference what kind of power supply i should get....the PC would be at least 6/7 years old...running IDE devices rather than SATA....it says on the power supply that the max. output is 400watt....

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I've an old atx psu lying around that you can have. Can you get a photo of the connectors?

Advertisement