Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open proposal for Social Welfare & Children's allowance

Options
  • 25-12-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

This is my opinion on an improved system for social welfare. Opinions are welcome.

Replacement of Dole

Food stamps.

It is well known that much dole money is wasted by people who don't need it.

Pros:
    - Money is spent in Irish stores and goes back into circulation
    - Money can be only spent on food (and clothes?), instead of alcohol, cigarettes etc.
    - Non transferable, ID must be shown to match name on the stamps - Nobody can sell the stamps.
    - Cannot be saved up - Expire after a month.
    Cons:
    - Effort of doing it (From the point of view of the government)

Childrens allowance

A similar system should be put in place, some sort of stamp/ticket which allows the purchase of a certain value of childrens goods such as clothing, formula food, and toys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Can you show where this factual data comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Mena wrote: »
    Can you show where this factual data comes from?

What factual data? Its an idea for a system that could potentially be implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Cards that cannot be used for alcohol/scratch cards/gambling would be a start. Possibly include smokes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Methememb wrote: »
    This is my opinion on an improved system for social welfare.

It is a well known fact that many dole recipients head to the nearest off licence and spend the money on alcohol, or the nearest post office to post the money abroad. Not racism, fact.

So your opinion is a well known fact....

Just in case you didn't hear, the majority of people who claim job seeker's allowance have to go to the post office to collect it every week so that queue of people you see there aren't foreigners sending the money home.

Also can you show me a link to a report stating how many do send it home or how many do go straight to the off licence and spend it all on booze. Much appreciated if you can provide some concrete info. Your facts may just differ from actual facts.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Cards that cannot be used for alcohol/scratch cards/gambling would be a start. Possibly include smokes?

Yeah, why not? It'd stop a serious amount of wastage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You've claimed as fact that dole mostly gets spent on alcohol and child benefit sent to foreign countries.

Demonstrate this fact, otherwise you're manufacturing a problem in order to supply a solution.

Yawns wrote: »
    So your opinion is a well known fact....

Just in case you didn't hear, the majority of people who claim job seeker's allowance have to go to the post office to collect it every week so that queue of people you see there aren't foreigners sending the money home.

Also can you show me a link to a report stating how many do send it home or how many do go straight to the off licence and spend it all on booze. Much appreciated if you can provide some concrete info. Your facts may just differ from actual facts.

Fair point... I see where you're coming from. I'll adjust the OP. At the same time, I stand by my point.

Mena wrote: »
    You've claimed as fact that dole mostly gets spent on alcohol and child benefit sent to foreign countries.

Demonstrate this fact, otherwise you're manufacturing a problem in order to supply a solution.

The problem is there, but I take the point that there is no hard data to back it up. Post edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This will mean an end to special alcohol deals in Centra on child benefit day :(

sallowanceday1_1072694t.jpg

In my opinion, whilst I understand there is a number of people out there who get their money and go straight to off-licence / bookies / send some money via western union or w/e I certainly believe at this moment in time it's the minority of people who do this.

The time to be worrying about food stamps or cards for groceries was back in the 'boom period' when we had a high employment rate. As it currently stands, the vast majority claiming job seeker's allowance would be people who lost jobs over the last number of years and in those cases, most if not all of that money is already spent in the local economy on groceries to put food on the family table. The government should prioritize job creation before trying to kick a man when he's down.

The time to tackle dole scroungers was 5 years ago with the long term unemployed who were fit for work being targeted first back then.

In my opinion, whilst I understand there is a number of people out there who get their money and go straight to off-licence / bookies / send some money via western union or w/e I certainly believe at this moment in time it's the minority of people who do this.

The time to be worrying about food stamps or cards for groceries was back in the 'boom period' when we had a high employment rate. As it currently stands, the vast majority claiming job seeker's allowance would be people who lost jobs over the last number of years and in those cases, most if not all of that money is already spent in the local economy on groceries to put food on the family table. The government should prioritize job creation before trying to kick a man when he's down.

The time to tackle dole scroungers was 5 years ago with the long term unemployed who were fit for work being targeted first back then.

I disagree with you there. They're doing that as it is with the Household charge, increased USC, etc. By implementing the measures I've suggested they could cut out some other cuts to health/education or further increases in taxes.

Does anyone notice that it's always the middle man being screwed? The man with children and a house has been hit the hardest by the last budget. Senseless stuff.

Another thing. Why not have a few hours community service done to earn social welfare?

• Advertisement

we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I think job creation should be a higher priority than a dole stamp / card scheme.

Nothing wrong with a requirement for a few hours community service. I wouldn't stop there with that idea either. It should be mandatory for people sent to prison for fines to do community service for x amount of time instead of sending them to prison for a few hours. Tho they have made headway with that regard.

we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I think job creation should be a higher priority than a dole stamp / card scheme.

Nothing wrong with a requirement for a few hours community service. I wouldn't stop there with that idea either. It should be mandatory for people sent to prison for fines to do community service for x amount of time instead of sending them to prison for a few hours. Tho they have made headway with that regard.

Of course Job creation is extremely important. However, this is something tangible and which they could theoretically begin with straight away. Where do they start with job creation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I can't see it working OP, food is not the only household expense. For example, if you replace the dole with food stamps then you also have to provide free electricity, gas etc.

Extinction wrote: »
    I can't see it working OP, food is not the only household expense. For example, if you replace the dole with food stamps then you also have to provide free electricity, gas etc.

Point taken. Cash isn't the answer though.

I think it makes sense to use cash for social welfare payments. Cash can be spent anywhere on any item, this spreads cash through a community. If food stamps were introduced you can be sure that there would be a limited amount of places that they could be used and the owners of these outlets would be the only ones to benefit.

I think it makes sense to use cash for social welfare payments. Cash can be spent anywhere on any item, this spreads cash through a community. If food stamps were introduced you can be sure that there would be a limited amount of places that they could be used and the owners of these outlets would be the only ones to benefit.

At the same time, cash can be sent abroad, spent on alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, gambled etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

We can start by only paying child benefit at the rate of the country where the child is.

I think it is irrelevant what it is spent on, you may not like that people spend it on alcohol or cigarettes but at the same time why limit what it can be spent on?

Let me explain it this way. I am one of many who are self employed sole traders. My customer base is now largely unemployed. If you were to limit the social welfare to food stamps then I would be joining the dole que and so would many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Another ridiculous right wing proposal....so the OP wants to marginalise unemployed people, that's at the heart of this rubbish idea.

It won't work and it won't happen...smell the coffee!

barrackali wrote: »
    Another ridiculous right wing proposal....so the OP wants to marginalise unemployed people, that's at the heart of this rubbish idea.

It won't work and it won't happen...smell the coffee!

Sorry, but what do you mean by "marginalise unemployed people?"

• Advertisement

There is also an argument that alcohol and cigarettes are the two items that the government need unemployed people to spend most of their money on, far more goes back to revenue in taxes from alcohol and cigarettes than does from food. I for one propose alcohol stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Sorry, but what do you mean by "marginalise unemployed people?"
    I am in a very fortunate economic situation, but how would it make you feel to have to use food stamps / vouchers? Sorry, but your idea is a load of nonsense...thankfully this kind of proposal wouldn't last farting time in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

This is a proposal that sounds good in theory however what would happen.

Johnny is unemployed and living at home Mum Nad dad take the vouchers and Johnny gets cash for them, mum and dad still feed and sub him

Tim and Mary have too many foods stamps they trade at store for other items.

Jim is an alcholic trades his stamps at a huge discount to a food stamp trader that either sells the food at a discount or trades for other goods at shops.

Tom starts to forge food stamps and sells on to other shoppers.

Due to forgeries Dept of SW start to take longer to pay so some shops stop taking Stamps.

Shops that accept Foods Stamps start to charge more as a handling fee or charge the Dept Of SW for the inconvience of handling stamps.

And also if the government have not got the b#lls to cut social welfare the are definately not bring in food stamps

In reality why try to reinvent the circle what not reduce rate's of welfare

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It won't work. Variations of this have been proposed before here, usually in the form of dole via a debit card that can only be spent on certain items. Problem is that if people want to spent their money on smokes, drugs or booze, they'll find a way to do it, most likely via unscrupulous retailers who, for example, might scan through €15 of groceries and provide €10 of cash in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It is well known that much dole money is wasted by people who don't need it.

Says who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT s well known people on low income spend their money on essentials ,food rent,esb ,gas etc in the local economy. a new voucher system would be just
    cost more to run than the present system.
    at some point the tax and welfare system will have a common data sharing system.
    THAN what will happen is ,anyone over say 60k income , will lose their childrens allowance.
    Theres pensioners who are on high incomes getting free phone, free electricty ,tv license etc
    its seems to me the people on lower incomes spend more on cigarettes
    than middle class people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It's totally irrelevant what people spend their dole on.

Current cost of paying SW is x.

Under the new system it will cost x + the cost of administering the new way.
    It will cost the state more money.

OP why in the name of god do you care what dole money is spent on provided it is being spent in Ireland. So you don't want dolies to smoke or drink, is buying a ticket to a match allowed, is having a steak twice a week unacceptable? It gets really messy with no tangible benefit to anyone. This type of approach will only give more power and stock to the black market, more and more goods are falling off the back of trucks, it'd be dangerous to fuel this market even more.

I think child benefit could be made a voucher type system if the cost wasn't too high to implement, it'd be nice to think evevry penny of child benefit is spent directly on the child.

It's totally irrelevant what people spend their dole on.

Current cost of paying SW is x.

Under the new system it will cost x + the cost of administering the new way.
    It will cost the state more money.

OP why in the name of god do you care what dole money is spent on provided it is being spent in Ireland. So you don't want dolies to smoke or drink, is buying a ticket to a match allowed, is having a steak twice a week unacceptable? It gets really messy with no tangible benefit to anyone. This type of approach will only give more power and stock to the black market, more and more goods are falling off the back of trucks, it'd be dangerous to fuel this market even more.

I think child benefit could be made a voucher type system if the cost wasn't too high to implement, it'd be nice to think evevry penny of child benefit is spent directly on the child.

Thats the point, not all of the money is being spent in Ireland.

Thats the point, not all of the money is being spent in Ireland.

How much of it isn't being spent in Ireland? Do you also have a problem with Irish people (who get welfare) purchasing online from foreign business's or with them going to the European Championships last summer and spending their money in Poland? Perhaps it's not the dole your concerned about at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

How much of it isn't being spent in Ireland? Do you also have a problem with Irish people (who get welfare) purchasing online from foreign business's or with them going to the European Championships last summer and spending their money in Poland? Perhaps it's not the dole your concerned about at all?

\People claiming allowances are very important to the economy aswell as being a burden.

What about Joe down in the off license who will lose his job if the dole is cut for that area. Lets not stop there. What about Mary in the cinema?

You can see where I am coming from with this. The economy is a fragile ecosystem and social claimers do there bit to help aswell.

Advertisement